login

Author Topic: The Garfield Randomizer  (Read 5250 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
The Garfield Randomizer
« on: June 05, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »
Has anyone played around with the Garfield Randomizer?  It operates under the assumption that you can take any three random Garfield panels and put them together to make something just as entertaining as the original comic strip.  Here's a few I came up with:

BTW, I get these images by doing a "Print Screen", then pasting in Paint or Photo Editor, cropping the strip, then uploading.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: The Garfield Randomizer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »
Davis stopped caring about a decade ago. He's made the funnies even more depressing.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
Davis stopped caring about a decade ago. He's made the funnies even more depressing.

Was that after he killed the cat by starvation?

http://swirlee.org/2006/08/05/the-death-of-garfield/

(I can't link directly to it due top the firewall at work).

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
No, see, that was Jim Davis DOING SOMETHING WITH HIS CHARICTER. That was less depressing by a good stretch than any given strip in the last five years.

He was selling "Arline" merchandise when he hadn't actually featured her charicter in two years. I mean, frick!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »
I read all my favorite comic strips on line so generally I can avoid, as they say in The Simpsons, "the funny cat who's a not so funny"

Does anyone read Garfield because they like them?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »
The same people who read Blondie and Dagwood because they find it funny.

THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PRISONERS TO THEIR UNFUNNY PAST!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:37:33 AM by Junkyard »

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »
These are kinda addicting.

Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
The best Garfield related stuff I've ever seen was when people started removing Garfield's thought bubbles, leaving John alone to talk to himself.  really surreal stuff:  Jon has never seemed more pathetic.

http://www.truthandbeautybombs.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4997&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
I think this one is near perfect:

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »
The best Garfield related stuff I've ever seen was when people started removing Garfield's thought bubbles, leaving John alone to talk to himself.  really surreal stuff:  Jon has never seemed more pathetic.

Thanks for the link Conor, I love it:

Offline Don W

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
I like Garfield and I have liked it since I was a kid.  As depressing as those comic strips are, I think what's more depressing is everyone's cynical attitude towards the comic. I always liked that it was at the top of page of pretty much every newspaper that it was in, because it was one of the few comics that I actually found funny.

Man now I feel depressed knowing that so many people have such a negative attitude about a simple pleasure in life. I mean, Jesus Christ, a practicaly free, 6 paneled comic about a cartoon cat isn't good enough for you? Then what the fuck is good enough for you in life?
I really do like pie.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »

Garfield was my cousin's favorite comic back in the day.  She managed to get an autographed letter from Jim Davis, she collected the merchendise, she had the books for it....  I became a fan because of the exposure to it my cousin offered.  Now I don't really read any funnies.  It's mainly the political cartoons and editorials for me.  (Especially since in my newspaper, they involve people yelling at other people for past letters.  It's almost funnier than the Garfield comics of old.  (Or maybe I just have a bizarre sense of humor?)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »
I used to be a huge fan of Garfield, seriously. I had all his books, even some of the redundant ones. But then, he just stopped writing anything interesting or funny. I still enjoy the old stuff, and if you enjoy the new stuff, that's great, but I fell out of love with Garfield several years back.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:58 AM »
I love Garfield and, every now and then, I still get a big laugh out of his strips. The strip still has a pretty good hit/miss ratio when you consider the man's writing a different joke every day and has been for nigh 30 years.

However if you USED to like the funnies, check out Pearls Before Swine. It's the comic strip that's not afraid to point out how the older comic strips have fallen. :^)