login

Author Topic: What is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story and/or film  (Read 5156 times)

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
What is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story and/or film
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
I've been on a big H.P. Lovecraft reading kick lately and I thought it might be interesting to see what people's favorite Lovecraft works were.

Story:  The Dunwich Horror

Film:  The Resurrected w/ Chris Serandon (From the story The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
The film is by no means brilliant, but it is a good rendition of Lovecraft's work.  I also liked Dagon as silly as it was, but I'm not a big fan of Re-Animator.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story and/or film
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
The Shadow over Innsmouth as a written story

To be honest I've not seen a film I particularly enjoy.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
My favorite lovecraft story is The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. Deep down,  I think lovecraft was really more interested in fantasy than horror. He found more repulsion in mundanity and tedium of our daily mortal lives, imprisoned by time and space and the limits of humanity, than in his most squamous creations.

My  favorite HPL movie is Call of Cthulhu, for it's retro-lovelyness and faithful rendition.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »
Hard to pick a single favorite story by H.P. Lovecraft, but if I must, that story would have to be Dreams of the Witch House.  I do love me some Nyarlathotep!

As for my most only recommended Lovecraft film, I'd have to agree with the wise and fuzzy sorcerer who once said:
My  favorite HPL movie is Call of Cthulhu, for it's retro-lovelyness and faithful rendition.
because that silent film did such an amazing job of capturing the tone and atmosphere that I associate with Lovecraft's writing. 

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:11:12 PM »
I was really impressed by Call of Cthulhu as well.  I had just re-read the story the night before I recieved it via netflix and it is amazing how well they translated his work into film.  I watched the making of documentary on the DVD and really showed what a labor of love making the film was for the directors.  Pretty cool stuff.

"From Beyond" is getting a DVD release in September according to amazon.com. 

I wish the movie Cthulhu Mansion would get a DVD release.  I saw it on video years ago and it was pretty good, well maybe that's streching it, but I do want to see it again.

Offline Some Guy

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
Kind of liked The Shadow out of Time, in terms of story, but I haven't caught any of the movies that especially blew me away.  There's talk that Big Daddy Cthulhu might be making an apperance in J.J. Abrams next film, but nothing's confirmed.  Suppose that's old news now.

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Your local goddess of mediocrity.
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:49 AM »
Not exactly related, but did you all know that there are plush Cthulu toys out there?  I got one for my birthday and honestly thought my friend had made it.  They are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=cthulhu%20plush&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_11538583_2&results-process=default

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »
Yep, everytime I go to a comic con I'm tempted to buy the Nyarlathotep, ah it might have to wait till I have a bratling to buy soft toys for.

Have you see Hello Cthulu

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
I'm also a Dunwich Horror fan. As for film adaptations, I love 'em all, good or awful (and there are plenty in the latter category).

I have to say that The Unnameable and its sequel are my guiltiest pleasures, mostly down to the guy playing Randolph Carter. He's just great.

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Your local goddess of mediocrity.
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
Have you see Hello Cthulu

That might be the single greatest thing I have ever, ever seen in my whole goddamn life.

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »
Not exactly related, but did you all know that there are plush Cthulu toys out there?  I got one for my birthday and honestly thought my friend had made it.  They are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=cthulhu%20plush&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_11538583_2&results-process=default

Those are great!  I got one as a gift a few years back and he looks cute lurks fearfully atop my shelf of HPL books. 

Offline ObscureGamer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • knows how many turkeys could fit in this forum
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:04:58 AM »
My favorite Lovecraft story is "Cool Air", which got a decent (but not great) adaptation in the movie Necronomicon (which was a composite of three short movies), starring David Warner. 

My favorite Lovecraft movie would have to be the B&W silent film Call of Cthulhu for its technical mastery of setting and mood that it established, although as a guilty pleasure I was quite fond of Dagon.   Also, the third and final short film in Necronomicon, the one about the mi-goes, was actually scary.  I enjoyed that one the most.

And to whoever said Cthulhu Mansion was "good".....please, send me the number of your supplier.  Because apparently he's discovered some superdrug that's more effective than any known one.

Offline The Bog Man

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • The Haunted Bog
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »
The silent 'Call' really is a masterpiece. (And one made with practically nothing.)
My favorite story is either 'The Rats in the Walls', or 'The Hound'. The second becase the image of a howling, feral, rotting corpse just has a tendancy to stick in the head.
www.hauntedbog.com That is not dead which can eternal lie, I'm just not a morning person.

Detective Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
'The Colour out of Space' is probably my favorite. I believe the Stephen King story in Creepshow was somewhat based on it.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »
The Hound would be down for the best ever Lovecraft Signature Twist ending. I mean, it's something that, when you read it, you want to grab your head and laugh insanely.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."