Author Topic: What is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story and/or film  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: What is your favorite H.P. Lovecraft story and/or film
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 02:52:30 AM »
"At the mountains of madness" would be my favorite HPL story.

I haven't seen a HPL based movie that didn't leave me feeling slightly ill at the desecration of HPL's work.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Halifirien

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • One nation under Doom
    • Random Notes
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 05:13:54 AM »
My favorite Lovecraft story is "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." It's creepy from the start.

I think the silent version of "The Call of Cthulhu" is probably the best film adaptation.

Honorable mention would go to the video game "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth," since it lets you play through the escape from the hotel in Innsmouth. I died repeatedly on that one because I wasn't fast enough and the townsfolk always manage to chop through the door and get me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 05:35:49 AM »
My favorite Lovecraft story is "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." It's creepy from the start.

You are an individual of incredible taste.

I think the silent version of "The Call of Cthulhu" is probably the best film adaptation.

I will endeavour to see this as you are probably the 5th or 6th person to mention this in the last month or so in various places.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 05:52:50 AM »

I will endeavour to see this as you are probably the 5th or 6th person to mention this in the last month or so in various places.

Did you like it?  I thought it was very beautiful, and the featurette about 'aging' the film was really cool.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
I'm very much looking foward to the HPLHS's second installment, The Whisperer in Darkness.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »
Speaking of HPLHS and thinking of Greg's Holiday Song list how about these two
[quick=475,25]http://www.cthulhulives.org/Musical/carol.mp3[/quick]
[quick=475,25]http://www.cthulhulives.org/Solstice/mp3s/Fish-Men.mp3[/quick]

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:19:48 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • (see: pointed simian)
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
I'm very much looking foward to the HPLHS's second installment, The Whisperer in Darkness.

Holy wow!  Thanks for the heads up because I was not aware of this!  I think this teaser trailer looks very promising....

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
I couldn't really sit through most Lovecraft stories. I'm sure eventually something happens in one of them. And they started making too many crappy movie adaptations in the 90s for me to catch up. The monster's image burned into the window in The Unnameable was pretty scary. Otherwise it's just Re-Animator and From Beyond for me, and those movies have virtually nothing to do with Lovecraft. I'd say they're better.

In the Mouth of Madness was a pretty good ripoff though.

Offline Mr.Quark

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
I enjoyed Call of Cthulhu and the one (I forgot the name) about the guy climbing the castle tower. If any of you are into board games there is a H.P. Lovecraft based board game series that is a lot of fun called "Arkham Horror."

"Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real" --Neils Bohr

Offline Zeus

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Life After MST3K
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »
The 90s horror anthology Necronomicon is my favorite HP Lovecraft adaptation.

That and In The Mouth of Madness (which was only inspired by Lovecraft) were genuinely scary films, a breath of fresh air during the self-aware slasher boom.

It's all about the last segment. The opening segment has a great atmosphere and is the most tentacle-y, the middle is just so-so-, but the end, man, it was messed up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:35:30 PM by zeus »

Offline Lysam

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Rats in the walls was my personal favorite.

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • I wash my socks in soda water so my feet will fizz
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
I always have a hard time picking a "favorite"' anything... I'm more of a "package" man. And with Lovecraft my favorite trait is the way he could write an individual story that made me want to pull my feet up off of the floor, but the more stories you read the more connections you could make back a central theme. Those little "Aha!" moments gave the whole thing a more malevolent twist as you began to realize you were dealing with a plague of terror rather than a bunch of disconnected incidents... one feeding off of the other. You began to feel that you couldn't be safe just by walking away from, say, Innsmouth.
A lot like a Family Reunion!  :rimshot:

And the best Lovecraft item I've ever seen belonged to a guy I went to school with. His sister made him a Team sweater for the Miskatonic University Fighting Cephalopods--- GO PODS!
She even added a Shogoth waving team banners. It was Brilliant!
They only killed half the Dinosaurs... they made the other half watch!