login

Author Topic: Would it be fun for Mike to give us forum members a "shout out"?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
Would it be fun for Mike to give us forum members a "shout out"?
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
Just a throw away idea that I had while listening to the opening patter in the "X-men" Rifftraxx, and I thought I would share it for open discussion.

In the tradition of the "viewer mail" segments on MST3K, don't you think it would be cool if Mike would take a few seconds at the beginning of some of the 'traxx to either; read a forum post or two, or at least give a shout to a regular and contributing member of the forum community, like Tarantulas or Gammer73?

Mike doesn't post that often, (as well he shouldn't, he's busy with the important work of writing the 'traxx), so there is sometimes a bit of a disconnect between this forum/website experience, (which is great and almost as fun as the product it supports), and him.  It would be cool if he acknowledged our support... maybe.

I don't know if it's even practical or if it would be cumbersome.  It seems cool on paper; what do you, the viewers at home, think?
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Re: Would it be fun for Mike to give us forum members a "shout out"?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »
I think it's probably best to leave the Rifftrax as a stand-alone product, unencumbered by direct shout-outs or insular message-board references. 

Also, forcing Mike to read aloud names like "crowfan84" and "crunchypants37" is unkind.  :)  It's bad enough being expected to say things like "biggie fries" and "rootie tootie fresh and fruity" within earshot of one's fellows.  Which is why I just point at the pictures.

ETA:  I agree with ya though, that some sort of interaction from Mike and the Riffers would be welcome -- maybe in the form of a weekly message board posting or announcement on the main page -- like an open note to fans describing the latest finished Rifftrax activity...?  Kind of a bonus bit of insider stuff for those of us who follow the boards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:59:21 PM by Joe Don Faker »

Offline Rowsdower

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • Wears blue beef pants...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »
No, no, no, and again no. Let's leave the shoutouts to 13 year-olds' AIM profiles.
...but what do I know?

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
Just the riffs, please.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
Although if Mike wanted to make a few forum in-jokes here and there, that could be cool. :^)

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
"Boy that Pakman sure can post some crap"

Hmm... I guess its cooler when Mike says it ;)

j/k Pakman... but seriously. ;)

Offline Skiptastic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Riffer Madness
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
In the tradition of the "viewer mail" segments on MST3K, don't you think it would be cool if Mike would take a few seconds at the beginning of some of the 'traxx to either; read a forum post or two, or at least give a shout to a regular and contributing member of the forum community, like Tarantulas or Gammer73?

Two things:

1. Playing favorites with fans is a recipe for disaster.

2. You may have noticed that reading letters all but disappeared when Mike came on the scene, and definitely disappeared during the Sci Fi era. In other words, like invention exchanges, reading letters was "a Joel thing." I think they even made mention of the fact that they found incorporating letters into the last host segment was an annoyance in the ACEG...I'm trying to remember which one, and neither of my copies of the ACEG are on hand at the moment...

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
I'd rather Mike just come around here and post once in awhile.  I don't want him mentioning this forum stuff on a rifftrax.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »
Howard Johnson is RIGHT!

I mean, Smilin Jack Ross is RIGHT!...I would really appreciate it if Mike would drop a line or two in the forum just to keep in touch. It gives me that "warm fuzzy" feeling when he posts in this forum and it brings things down to earth. It lets us know: "Hey guys, I'm still here working hard at it, but I'm taking a second to say howdy!"

[brown nose] Also, I just want to say thanks to Jay Proof, ConorL and the rest of the Rifftrax missfits for mingling with us common folk. And thanks for responding to us so quickly. The customer service is grrrREAT!  [/brown nose]

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:55:02 PM »
I think it's probably best to leave the Rifftrax as a stand-alone product, unencumbered by direct shout-outs or insular message-board references. 

Also, forcing Mike to read aloud names like "crowfan84" and "crunchypants37" is unkind.  :)  It's bad enough being expected to say things like "biggie fries" and "rootie tootie fresh and fruity" within earshot of one's fellows.  Which is why I just point at the pictures.

ETA:  I agree with ya though, that some sort of interaction from Mike and the Riffers would be welcome -- maybe in the form of a weekly message board posting or announcement on the main page -- like an open note to fans describing the latest finished Rifftrax activity...?  Kind of a bonus bit of insider stuff for those of us who follow the boards.

Yeah, I agree that using screen-names is awkward and a little geeky.  I thought of that myself; that non-forum users would say to themselves, "WTF..." if Mike said, "And a hearty hello to, MISTIEGEEK, for... blah blah...".  That might be a little alienating to non-forum users.

Although, Mike did say in a recent interview that he enjoyed sending people out on embarassing excursions to pick up "Crossroads" so, maybe we should DEMAND he use silly screen names just to reciprocate, hehe...

Anyways, very good thoughts so far.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Tarantulas

• #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »
I thought the end of the letter reading was sort of a good thing... it kinda helped the show grow up a bit.

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »
I can already imagine it now. Mike's first reference to a forum member is some one other than Tarantulas....Tarantulas goes nuts on the board and demands a shout out....

;) Just kidding Tdizzle you know im your biggest fan.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »

Also, forcing Mike to read aloud names like "crowfan84" and "crunchypants37" is unkind.  :) 

Have you browsed the members list at all? There are some funny names in there:

GrandmasLegs
Mukkake
Ninjew
Send More Paramedics!
SimonGodOfHairdos
SmurfyBrown
Space...Chef?
StreakyMacIntosh
Zap Don Bakersdower

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 02:02:28 AM »
I don't see what's wrong with this idea as long as it was done at the beginning of the track.  It's not such a bad idea.  Adult Swim has been been doing the same thing between programs for a while now.