Author Topic: overrated/underrated  (Read 5683 times)

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
Re: overrated/underrated
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 06:50:50 AM »
The Beatles
overrated-Hey Jude (does anyone like this?)

Yes, I do.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 08:45:35 AM »
Nirvana
overrated: Smells Like Teen Spirit
underrated: In Bloom

In Bloom gets a fair amount of recognition too though, it's really up there it seems with SLTS, Lithium, and  HSB....

I honestly think whatever that new song that became a huge single was a bit underrated though...  I remember everyone hated it but I thought it was pretty good, but I haven't heard it in a few years...

You Know You're Right? Yeah, I liked that quite a bit.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »
Girl fronted Brit pop bands

Over: Elastica
Under: Sleeper

Offline bluefalcon74

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
Devo
WAY over - Whip It
under - Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)

really, anything they ever did besides 'Whip It' is underrated

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »
Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! has to be one of the single best albums I have ever listened to in my short life. I think everyone who is tempted to buy "Whip it" or "Girl U Want" should stop, and buy "Uncontrollable Urge" or "Space Junk" instead.

Metallica
Overrated: Master Of Puppets (song, and album. Never had the magic that the first to had with me)
Underrated: Creeping Death

The B 52's
Overrated: Love Shack (what else?)
Underrated: 6060-842

Black Sabbath
Overrated: Paranoid
Underrated: Black Sabbath

Blue Oyster Cult
Overrated: Don't Fear The Reaper
Underrated: 7 Screaming Diz-Busters

Offline DoctorOfMusic

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 07:23:05 AM »

John Cage:

Overrated - 4'33"
Underrated - Three Dances For Prepared Piano

John Cage:

Since what he "created" wasn't music, he doesn't belong in this thread.  For him we will need a new thread entitled: "Greatest charlatans of the previous 100 years."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:25:54 AM by DoctorOfMusic »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »
John Cage:

Overrated - 4'33"
Underrated - Three Dances For Prepared Piano

John Cage:

Since what he "created" wasn't music, he doesn't belong in this thread.  For him we will need a new thread entitled: "Greatest charlatans of the previous 100 years."

Just because you don't "get" something, that doesn't mean you should criticize it. 4'33" is a brilliant piece and a great concept. Cage was a brilliant avant-garde artist. I don't know how people got "I don't get it" confused with "this sucks."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 02:21:44 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007, 07:10:13 AM »
I don't know how people got "I don't get it" confused with "this sucks."

Ok well I think it has something to do with the fact that, in the arts especially, it is difficult to define "good" and "bad" (or say "rocking" or "sucky"  :)). The only criteria an individual can really fall back on is weather it affects them, which is to say whether they "get it".

I mean lets take Yoko Ono: Do you listen to her for pleasure? If you do then cool cause there isn't an artist out there who doesn't bring enjoyment to somebody. But the first aim of an artist is to connect to the viewer/reader/listener if they fail to do that then they can be said to "suck" at least for the individual that they failed to connect with. Yoko Ono, for many people, does indeed "suck" because she fails to connect to those people.

I mean hell I like Miles Davis but I can see how people might find his later stuff a bit "sucky" since it wouldn't connect to them. I'm not sure how else somebody who found Live:Evil impenetrable could express their feelings more fundamentally than considering it, to them, as bad.

I mean life is not an exam, people don't have to experience any art that they find unappealing just because they should listen to it or should be "challenged"  by it. Challenging the audience is an admirable thing for an artist to aim for, but connecting with the audience should be the first tool used.