login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 97692 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Pets
« Reply #1005 on: March 02, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
I think decades of seeing various cats and dogs come and go has, how can I put this? It's... desensitized me. We've had to put down two cats because they had diabetes because the standard treatment wasn't working. We had to put down my best kitty cat, my special boy cat Jakey because he just couldn't function anymore. We've had a cat go through surgery for her cancerous growths but all that did was make things worse. We've had to put down a dog that was having serious and non-treatable neurological issues, we've had to put down an old dog who couldn't even stand up on his own to go outside anymore, and I had to help my poor Grandma put down her dog who was having horrible seizures that again, couldn't be treated.

Just know that I've looked into the eyes of so many poor kitty cats and dogs over my life time and when they get to the point where things for them are so awful the only look I got back was one that was saying "Please stop the pain.".

Never, ever suggest that I lack humanity, because I don't. Such a thing I find to be a very personal, very profound insult to my nature. Especially with my Bipolar and my overthinking things more than ever, because in all honesty, I am more emotionally attached than ever to all my cats. We take good care of our kitty cats here.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 488
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1006 on: March 03, 2018, 05:34:55 PM »

Jadzia and Janeway are home and I'm madly in love~

Jadzia is on the left, Janeway is on the right

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #1007 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »
As long as you tell me you don't have a pet named Jonathan Archer.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1008 on: March 04, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
As long as you tell me you don't have a pet named Jonathan Archer.

Dunno. I've not watched Enterprise. I might like it. Voyager is considered pretty lousy by most people and it's my favourite Trek.

Also they are very cuddly with each other, it's amazing. Makes me really sad that none of my family likes them or even wants to see them. Don't understand the hatred of rats at all. They're basically little dogs.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #1009 on: March 05, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
@ LucasM
When the time is right and he's not enjoying life or is in obvious pain, we'll definitely put our old lab down. I thought we were close to being there last week (and it's still likely really near), but a call to the vet and $11 in prescriptions-an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory- (no vet bill, just a call) and he's doing a lot better. He's walking a lot more normal (still a bit stiff legged, but not struggling to stand or lay down) and is back to playing with our beagle puppy each morning. Yes, he still sleeps a whole hell of a lot, but doesn't appear to be in pain at any time and moves around when he's awake (still gets confused and lost a time or two every day, but that's pretty normal since he went blind).

@ Russoguru
We had a 5 year lab mix that got lymphoma and was given a month to live but lived for almost 2 more years after putting him through chemo. But until his last day (when he got much, much worse very, very quickly) he never acted sick or slowed down at all. Only reason we knew something was wrong in the first place was because he developed some lumps on his neck. Those lumps disappeared and never returned after we started chemo and he never acted sick until the end. Would I do it again? Not sure. It was very expensive, but the reason I'd lean towards not doing it again was not the cost, but the ups and downs of him going into remission several times and that remission always being very short lived. He was by far my favorite dog that we've had (tried like hell to teach my first 2 dogs to fetch but they never learned and he picked it up with very, very little training and I used to spend an hour or more each day and every day throwing a tennis ball to him) and my biggest regret is not enjoying those last 2 years more. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1010 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
With rats when you clean their litter wear a mask, people that work with rats often develop allergies to them.  Rat dander is notorious for that problem.  A few people here that worked with rats in the past can no longer go in the room where they are.

Females will stay cute as they get older, males lose their cuteness once they hit 4 or 5 months old.  Males also get more aggressive and will bite even if handled a lot.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1011 on: March 06, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Don't know where your getting that info, but all of the research I've done has been the opposite. A friend of mine has had males for years, and her boys have always been affectionate. YouTube channels that I've watched also characterise them as friendly, lazy cuddle Uttarakhand.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1012 on: March 06, 2018, 02:40:06 PM »
Don't know where your getting that info, but all of the research I've done has been the opposite. A friend of mine has had males for years, and her boys have always been affectionate. YouTube channels that I've watched also characterise them as friendly, lazy cuddle Uttarakhand.

Years of occasionally having to handle them in the lab when other people are out.  But maybe it's only true for the white rats they breed specially for lab use, those have been inbred so much that they are all genetically identical, great for controlled experiments but probably not great for other traits.  The males always get twice as big, fur gets scraggly, tails get scaly looking, and they bite more.  Females keep the soft fur they all have when young and don't usually bite when picked up.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1013 on: March 06, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »

Years of occasionally having to handle them in the lab when other people are out.  But maybe it's only true for the white rats they breed specially for lab use, those have been inbred so much that they are all genetically identical, great for controlled experiments but probably not great for other traits.  The males always get twice as big, fur gets scraggly, tails get scaly looking, and they bite more.  Females keep the soft fur they all have when young and don't usually bite when picked up.

Yeah, lab rats are much different than fancy rats.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1014 on: March 06, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
I know I keep posting pictures of my girls, but no one in my family is interested in them, and I enjoy showing them off. Janeway quite enjoys her Folgers. Especially when she gets yogurt puffs.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1015 on: March 14, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
Captain's log, stardate -304800.6. The giant that keeps me, and my compatriot Jadzia, has opened the shuttle bay doors and allowed me to explore the surrounding environment, with minimal supervision. While her attention was focused on trying to coax Jadzia out of the Jeffries Tube, I discovered what appeared to be a wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant. I soon realised that it was nothing more than a treadmill, meant for the giant to exercise. When the giant realised where I was, she immediately started trying to convince me to come out with food. Eventually, I grew bored, and accepted her proposal of a yogurt puff in exchange for my cooperation.

Online Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1016 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »

The girls had an extra long play time today because I was in the process of deep cleaning the cage for a change to fleece bedding. She gave me a heart attack for a second, but she's fine. If you look carefully, you can see Jadzia poking out, because Janeway took a nap on top of her.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4353
« Reply #1017 on: March 31, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #1018 on: March 31, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
Awww... sad. So sorry for your loss Kevin.  :'(