Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101146 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 745
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Pets
« Reply #975 on: July 12, 2017, 05:32:02 AM »
We have a vet that comes to our house on a regular basis and the 3 dogs we've had to put down were all done at our home (one after a year long battle with Kidney disease, 1 with bone cancer, and 1 just last year after a year long battle with lymphoma). None were easy, but I took the last one the hardest in large part I think to him only being 7 at the time and the ups and downs over a year long series of chemotherapy where he would go into remission for a few weeks and everything would appear optimistic only for the cancer to come back even worse. Seriously swore I'd never get another dog again after our 2 remaining ones (at that point). Then the wife got me a border collie puppy to try and cheer me up and about 3 months later my wife had a beagle puppy who had escaped from the Humane Society jump into her car when she was visiting her mother. 4 dogs is a lot and our oldest was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago and quickly went blind, but I'm past the point of thinking I'll ever go without a dog again (but never more than 2 or 3 at a time again).

I know exactly how you feel. And it's great that you changed your mind about adopting more.

I've always been cat person. The house just seems empty without them. My previous two cats had kidney disease and FIV, both of which killed them. It's heart breaking to see your best friends die  :(

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #976 on: July 20, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
Here are two very useful questionnaires that my vet posted to her Facebook page today.  Though I've shrunk them to fit easily here, they are much larger (right-click and 'View Image' them for larger versions of each).  I wish I'd had the feline one during Lucas's last few months, I might have been able to get him more comfortable (or euthanised) sooner.

To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »
Won't get the final results until later this week, but it's looking like my 12 year old lab now has cancer. Spots on his lungs usually indicate lung cancer and most lung cancer in dogs is cancer that spread from somewhere else. He doesn't appear to be in pain but just recently started wheezing at times. His 5 years with us have been great (we're really not sure of his age because he was a stray when we got him), but the next few weeks or months are going to be tough.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #978 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »
This is the part about pet ownership I hate the most. Yesterday he behaved like he was on deaths door, breathing hard and not moving. Today he's totally fine (other than being blind, but he's been blind for a year). Get the the cancer screening results tomorrow. Off of work and taking him to the dog park in the morning. Vet said he needed to be home bound, but been down this road before and am going to do whatever I can to make his last days enjoyable. No troubles with him eating yet, but going to strart feeding him the people food he always wants soon. Kept a previous lab who had kidney failure alive for a year longer than she was given by feeding her a steak every day (admittedly steak was cheaper then). Heartbroken...but trying to keep a positive attitude. Wife regrets not taking another one who had cancer anywhere after he was diagnosed, but his situation was different as it wasn't internal..bone cancer in that one where an easily broken leg would have resulted in a lot more pain and an immediate need to put him down...rambling, but trying to keep it together as he sits here on to couch with me with his head in my lap.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:37:00 PM by wihogfan »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #979 on: August 15, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
wihogfan, I'm sorry you are having this difficult time.  The kind of love one experiences with a furry friend often is deeper than that with other humans, and so the loss can ultimately be more intense.  I am glad that you are still able to have happy days with your friend, where he is clearly still enjoying his life.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #980 on: August 15, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Thanks Lucas. Always think the next one will be easier, but it never is. Just gotta focus on enjoying the next day, week, month, you never know year as long as I and he can and then make the final decision when I know it's right.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #981 on: August 16, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
Got good but not great news. The radiologist does not think the spots on his lungs are cancer. He does however have an enlarged heart and the radiologist expressed some concern over an abnormality around his liver. So have to get pills for the heart condition and having a blood test tomorrow to see how well his liver is functioning.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #982 on: August 17, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
More good news (sort of). Younger 3 dogs all have kennel cough (despite all of em being vacinated for it), so while the old guy isn't coughing like the other 3, that may be what is causing his wheezing. Get the results of his bloodwork for more potential serious problems tomorrow.
Apparently kennel cough is going around here and dogs who have been vacinated can still get it, it just usually doesn't end up as being as severe as it is for dogs who have not been vacinated. A week of antibiotics should get them all well (other than maybe the old guy-I tend to be pessimitic regarding these situations but I'm holding out hope that his liver and kidneys are still functioning as well as you can hope for a 12 year old lab).

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #983 on: August 17, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
wihogfan, I'm glad that some of it may be less serious than anticipated.

I just ran into this (posted by my Vet's office on Facebook).  It is relevant to every pet owner, but seemed particularly relevant now, for you wihogfan.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:02:23 PM by LucasM »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #984 on: August 18, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
Fortunately with this current pack, they'll all eat anything with peanut butter on it and my biggest problem there is making sure they don't each other's pills.

Got the bloodwork back and the results were better that I had even hoped. Only thing out of whack was his blood sugar, but we kind of knew that as he was diagnosed as diabetic over a year ago. So enlarged heart, still has diabetes, and likely has kennel cough is the diagnoses at this time.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #985 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
Well, it must have been kennel cough because after almost a week of antibiotics the old guy's breathing, behavior, and energy level has been back to normal for the last couple of days and I was able to take him for the longest walk we've been on in months tonight (still not as long as the younger guys get and was aided by tonight's cooler than normal for this time of year temps, but long for a 12 year old). Now just working with the vet on ways to get his blood sugar under better control.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #986 on: September 17, 2017, 05:25:18 PM »
I have two adorable kitties.  Naja Salaheem is an orange tabby.  I'm not sure how old he is.  I got him in January from some girl on Craigslist.  He was still a kitten at that point.  Based on his size I would estimate he was 6 months old at the time so I am guessing he was born July 2016, and is 1 year 2 months old by now.  He's full grown size but still pretty spunky.

My other kitty is Shikaree Z.  I bought her from a pet store so I have her exact birth date written down somewhere.  Early April of this year, so she is just a 5 month old kitten.  She is a black and white cat, aka a tuxedo cat.

I have a lot of pictures, but I'll just pare it down to three.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:33:11 PM by Pastor of Muppets »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #987 on: November 25, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
Damn 1 year old beagel mix puppy got stuck underneath the deck tonight. Didn't make a sound and I couldn't find him when I noticed our border collie trying to dig through the top of the deck and figured it out. Pulled one of the panels off the side of the deck off and had to dig some to get him out. Fortunately no real damage to the deck or dog and place where he got underneath has been blocked.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 523
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #988 on: November 25, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
I really wish the people in my life would let me get rats, they're so cute. Fiancee has said no to it, but I think it's only because I've talked her into 3 dogs and a couple of rabbits... but rats are small!

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #989 on: November 27, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
Shikaree, the 7 1/2 month old female kitten, went into her first heat on Saturday.  She was yowling a lot, very affectionate, and from time to time would thrust her backside into the air, presenting herself for mating.  I didn't understand what was happening until I got a hunch that it was heat and Googled it.

If you're thinking I need to get her spayed, you are right.  I haven't had time.  I thought that younger than 6 months was too young, and I was traveling a lot in November so I couldn't do anything then.    I have an appointment for her spaying, but it's a busy clinic and you have to book pretty far in advance.  Spaying is scheduled for January 11th.

I have a male cat too, Naja.  Fortunately, Naja was already neutered so he won't be creating any unwanted kittens.  They both stay inside and I am very careful about that.  I guess she'll probably go into heat again before the surgery, but I think we can ride it out.  I do like the extra affection.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.