Author Topic: Pets  (Read 107710 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: Pets
« Reply #930 on: October 17, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rabbits, RVR. I know how hard it is to lose pets.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4424
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #931 on: October 17, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
Someday, when it's time, you'll have some good video of him to watch.  :)    I thought he was adorable.
Yeah I cant even watch those videos now.. To depressing.
Thanks

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #932 on: October 17, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rabbits, RVR. I know how hard it is to lose pets.
Thanks Matt. I have lost other pets in the past but you never get used to the initial loss :(

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #933 on: October 17, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
Bear had another freak out this morning when they tried to chip him. They had to put him in "time out" again to cool down. He will be transferred to an animal hospital so they can sedate him and get the chip & shots taken care of.

He calmed down later in the day so they said we could come in and hang out with him for a bit. We drove over and when they tried to get him from time out he went ballistic again so we ended up just playing with some other cats for a few.

Earliest he could get an appointment is Monday so it'll be a few more days before he comes home with us.

Bear had another meltdown today when we stopped in to visit, so we decided it was best to look at other cats.

We ended up with a cat who someone dropped off on the front steps of the shelter overnight.  He's great & basically as soon as we got home he was like "yep. this is my place. I live here" and made himself right at home.  (He's actually been banging on my office door for the past 2 hours while we're recording a podcast with Hebs because he wants to come in to see what's going on.)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #934 on: October 17, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
Bear had another freak out this morning when they tried to chip him. They had to put him in "time out" again to cool down. He will be transferred to an animal hospital so they can sedate him and get the chip & shots taken care of.

He calmed down later in the day so they said we could come in and hang out with him for a bit. We drove over and when they tried to get him from time out he went ballistic again so we ended up just playing with some other cats for a few.

Earliest he could get an appointment is Monday so it'll be a few more days before he comes home with us.

Bear had another meltdown today when we stopped in to visit, so we decided it was best to look at other cats.

We ended up with a cat who someone dropped off on the front steps of the shelter overnight.  He's great & basically as soon as we got home he was like "yep. this is my place. I live here" and made himself right at home.  (He's actually been banging on my office door for the past 2 hours while we're recording a podcast with Hebs because he wants to come in to see what's going on.)
Awww, poor Bear. Sounds like he needs way more socialization. Hope he can get himself straightened out and adopted someday. What's the new kitty's name?

soguru

« Reply #935 on: October 17, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
I'm very sorry too RVR. :( I watched your video earlier and thought that was so sad.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #936 on: October 18, 2015, 04:31:49 AM »
I'm very sorry too RVR. :( I watched your video earlier and thought that was so sad.
Just walked outside and paused.. Looked around and came back inside. Thanks I will miss making thise videos  :'(

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #937 on: October 18, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »

Awww, poor Bear. Sounds like he needs way more socialization. Hope he can get himself straightened out and adopted someday. What's the new kitty's name?

Yeah. He was fine for the hour and a half we hung out with him beforehand.  It seemed to be the "vet" type stuff that triggered something and sent him over the edge.

But we are super glad we made the change & got the other cat.  He's super cuddly & gives some really hard head butts.  Whoever had him before took REALLY good care of him. (They think he may have even had his teeth brushed regularly because they are pristine.)  No clue why anyone would abandon him on the front steps of the shelter overnight. He's super awesome & the friendliest cat I've come across in a LONG time. Super chill with the kids too.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4846
« Reply #938 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:51 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #939 on: December 04, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
Thank you for those, The Lurker!  I'm printing them out so they remain handy, right next to my people-care info.

Today I have to take my beloved cat to the vet for a problem (he's my avatar).  Unfortunately, it happened Tuesday night/Wed morning, but the vet's office is closed Wednesday, and closes before I wake up on Thursday so I couldn't get him in then, today being the first day since that I could.  What happened was he had been sneezing a bit more than usual, and once he had his front paws on my leg and sneezed real hard.  When I went into the bathroom to wash my arms, I saw that the parts of his sneeze that ended up on my shirt had blood in it.  That's not a good thing.  Luckily the vet can get him in later today.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4846
« Reply #940 on: December 08, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #941 on: December 08, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »
Sorry, meant to get back on here after the vet visit referred to a couple posts up from here.

My cat got an antibiotic shot and the vet discussed possible things to do if that didn't work (all expensive).

The last couple days, he's sneezed MAYBE once a day, and usually pretty light, so, since I was noticing at least 5-6/day severe ones before (assuming there were even more when he was out of earshot), I'm going to presume that the antibiotic took care of the problem unless something else shows up.

I do have to start him on meds to reduce his hyperthyroidism (found when taken to the vet the previous time).  Luckily there are less drastic means to deal with that than when my previous cat had it (she had to have radioactive iodine to burn out her thyroid, keeping her away from me for days).  Meds will be a lot easier, since the one I will be using is transdermal and just gets smeared on the inside of an earlobe.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

soguru

« Reply #942 on: December 08, 2015, 06:22:15 PM »
We had to put one of our cats through surgery(this was about 12-13 years ago), and when we brought her home... she just kept pulling the staples in her tummy out. It was obvious she just could not deal with things, and neither could we. We just had to put the poor kitty to sleep. :( . I just keep reminding myself there will always be lots of potential kittens, puppies, whatever that need a good home to be taken care of and take solace in that.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #943 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »
Speaking of rescues, though I still love cats, I currently don't have any...instead, my wife and I decided to pick up a dog after our honeymoon.  We loved him so much, we got another one.

The first was a rescue pup we named Jack, who came from an adoption event at our local zoo.  He was a feral, found with two other puppies in an abandoned house in Detroit.  His two sisters got adopted together a few weeks after we took him home, and he's been fantastic.  He's fun-loving, energetic, loves people and other dogs, which we were concerned about since he was feral as well as being part Akita (the other part is either Belgian Shepherd or Basenji, or he's Basenji and not Akita, we're not sure), but other than typical puppy stuff, he's been an absolute joy.

Annie came about a month later.  She's two months younger than Jack, and she's definitely part Lab, possibly part Viszla (she's got the wide-eyes and coloring of the Viszla, but again, it's a guess).  She was part of a litter of four that had to be taken away from someone who couldn't take care of herself, let alone the four puppies and two parents.  She's been a little harder to train than Jack and she's a lot more skittish (and she's a little stinky at times), but she's a real cuddler.

The two of them are practically inseparable.  They get along famously and whine and complain when the other has to go somewhere.  The worst was this week as Jack went in for his neutering and she howled at being left alone.  Still, it may be tough getting started, but they've both been such a joy that even the tough stuff (household accidents, not listening, stuff getting chewed) is easy to get over.

I wanted a Border Collie.  My wife wanted a Goldendoodle.  Neither of them are those breeds.  But it just goes to show when they melt your heart, it doesn't matter what they are.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #944 on: December 09, 2015, 07:27:57 AM »
I love those events at the Detroit Zoo! My sister in law has found two dogs there over the years. :)