Author Topic: Pets  (Read 97567 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4582
Re: Pets
« Reply #870 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
I'm sorry that's happening.

The thing that came to mind for me is possibly she is sick or internally injured.  That, since pets get very touchy about being handled when they don't feel good.  Possibly developing cataracts, so when your hand comes over it surprises/startles her when it gets into range where she can see it (because by that time it might be seen as appearing quickly/as if about to hit).

The other thing, she hasn't been traumatized by another animal inside, or outside (or an accidental jerk on the leash if she ran after something outside) recently, has she (like: just before this behavior started)?  Even unexpected surprise/'play' by another pup inside might even do it, if it came at the wrong time.  It is possible for pets to develop PTSD as well as humans and be over-reactive to any unexpected movement.  (My Omaha did back in the '90s, just from a little kitten that wanted to 'play', but it's idea of play was much rougher and terrorizing than what Omaha liked, so it took a few YEARS after leaving that kitten behind [with my ex] before she calmed down to something closer to what her normal had been.)

I hope she settles down, but you might call the vet to see if s/he thinks that it is worth bringing Boudica in for a look-see.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #871 on: November 07, 2013, 03:33:21 AM »
It probably stems from the fact she hass a harness now. She pulls a lot on her leash so we swapped her collar for a harness, excep she hates the harness. But of course she won't now let us remove the harness and replace the collar.

It would help me if Ann wasn't of the opinion that doing anything practical with the dogs was solely my responsibility. :(

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #872 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:36 AM »
Well it took some rearranging of the sofas and wrestling Boo to the ground while wearing glazing gauntlets but I managed to attach the leash. And there, per our trainer/behaviorist's advice (and the fact there's nothing she can knock over) it'll stay for a while.Boo meanwhile is happy as a clam; trotting about with a big smile on her face and coming up to us to be petted. Apparently the leash is like the headband Tripitaka makes Monkey wear in ~Journey to the West~.Still at least that situation is semi-sorted. :)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #873 on: November 07, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Glad she's happier now.  Have you tried any traditional leash training?  What we did to start out was anytime she pulls, we stop and wait for her to turn around and look at us.  When she does, give her a treat.  It gets more advanced after that, but at least it's a place to start.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4344
« Reply #874 on: December 06, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6817
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #875 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »
needs some woof-racha.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #876 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »
My dog all grows up

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #877 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
one of our dog's got killed on the side of the rode today , mom is in tears.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4582
« Reply #878 on: February 24, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
I'm really sorry that happened.  It is so hard when a pet furry family member dies.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #879 on: February 24, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
Ah geez, I'm sorry to hear that Henry. That happened to one of our cats right in front of our house once. It's rough. Hope it gets better soon for you.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #880 on: February 25, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Ah geez, I'm sorry to hear that Henry. That happened to one of our cats right in front of our house once. It's rough. Hope it gets better soon for you.

he was buried today with a small rose bush on top.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #881 on: March 13, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
A repost from the Adorable Pictures thread..

Got a new bunny for 'Bonyx' yesterday and named it 'Blanca'

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #882 on: June 05, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »

Dat face

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #883 on: June 05, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #884 on: August 27, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
A repost from the Adorable Pictures thread..

Got a new bunny for 'Bonyx' yesterday and named it 'Blanca'

Well that was a quick 5 1/2 months..
Blanca (the white bunny) disappeared 4 days ago without a trace. There was no signs she dug a hole under the fence and got out and could only think that maybe one of the giant owls we have around here had got her..
Then this morning, I hadn't seen Bonyx (the black bunny) all morning and started getting concerned about her.. She came out later and is fine.
As I searched the backyard, I got a whiff of the stench of death and after narrowing it down to the unused 10' x 10' rabbit cage where I had a small dog house that was used for the bunny's home, and underneath it was the remains of Blanca :(
Originally Bonyx dug a den under it a couple years ago and Blanca discovered it but apparently got trapped and nobody knew.
At least this adds closure to the mystery of her disappearance :-\
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:10:14 AM by RVR II »