Author Topic: Pets  (Read 98771 times)

jasimon1

Re: Pets
« Reply #810 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
The universe is trying to make me get a dog. Lately, everywhere I looks it's cute little dogs frolicking. On my walk to the train this morning, there were two at two different houses that just had to jump all over me and be all cute. I really missing having one around but know that I couldn't afford anything more than food and normal vet bills. If anything happened to it were it got sick, I couldn't afford it and that worry is what keeps me from having one.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #811 on: April 29, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
Maybe you could start putting aside a little each month for a future dog--$25 or something--and then after a year you'd have  "dog savings account" in case of a larger bill.
Actually, that's about the premium you might have to pay for a dog here, we have it for ours (and pay around 30 per month) and it's useful.

jasimon1

« Reply #812 on: April 29, 2013, 08:01:57 AM »
Maybe you could start putting aside a little each month for a future dog--$25 or something--and then after a year you'd have  "dog savings account" in case of a larger bill.
Actually, that's about the premium you might have to pay for a dog here, we have it for ours (and pay around 30 per month) and it's useful.

But don't you have to pay up front and have them reimburse you? That's how my sister's dog insurance is.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #813 on: April 29, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
Well, yes but it's a fast reimbursement and the premiums provide coverage for much more than they themselves cost.

jasimon1

« Reply #814 on: April 29, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
Well, yes but it's a fast reimbursement and the premiums provide coverage for much more than they themselves cost.

I'll have to look into that one then. My sister's isn't that fast to reimburse.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #815 on: April 29, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
"Consumer Reports" did a review of them and said it was usually better to pass on it and just save up money in a different fund for their medical.  But, it is pretty much up to you what you do as money aside is for a good thing. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/august/money/pet-costs/pet-insurance-rarely-worth-the-price-in-our-analysis/index.htm

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #816 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
We also have this.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #817 on: April 29, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
We also have this.

I use that too.  Very helpful.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #818 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
My oldest Guinea Brownie has gotten so big!  But I know she's not done growing.  She knows her name and will come to me when I say it.  She also makes a rumbling noise when I pet her.  Read where Guineas purr, maybe she's purring?

Goldie is warming up to me.  I've discovered carrots are a great way to buy their trust and affection.  And cantaloupe.  And they love honey/popcorn treats.  I have a giant dog cage I keep Brownie in for what I call "floor time" she enjoys it.  If its nice weather I put it outside.  Gonna wait at least two more weeks and put Goldie in there with her, see how they interact.

Their cages are currently a few feet away from each other.  Guineas don't have good sight but I read that they have excellent smell and hearing.  They talk to each other a lot.  Think they're curious.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #819 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
Good to hear she found a nice home  :)

« Reply #820 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
My cat Mika is terrified of rain, and its been raining off and on for three days now.  Its not the sound of thunder really, its the rain.  At a couple of points I couldn't hear any rain and there was a crash of thunder...he didn't even flinch.

He's such a brave boy, can even be considered a bully sometimes, but I love him to death.  He's always so full of energy.  But now he's just hiding under the bed.  Been able to get him out a few times and then he just slinks around low to the floor and stays under my feet.  Sometimes he'll just fall over on the floor and show me his belly, right in my path.  And I have to do a little jig to keep from either tripping or stepping on him. 

Makes me wonder what happened to him before I had him.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
Pets, like humans, sure can act differently to storms.  Some hate it all, some ignore it all.

My dog and I ignore everything, even loud thunder.  And I know there are people and their pets do the opposite.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #822 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:35 AM »
My dogs love storms,, they run to the windows tails wagging and full of happy excited yaps and barks.

I basically have two tiny hell hounds.

jasimon1

« Reply #823 on: May 09, 2013, 06:12:24 AM »
The only time my Mom's dog would ever come near my room was when it was storming. She would sit in my doorway the entire time it was storming. I think she knew I didn't like storms either and she wanted to be near the only other person in the house as freaked out as she was but she knew if she actually came in my room, it would show that she liked the other people in the house and she couldn't soil her reputation as a momma's girl.

« Reply #824 on: August 17, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »
Well, I got a new kitten. 

Not a foster.  She's a beautiful tortoiseshell.  There were 6 kittens at the event and she just stood out.  And she's so tiny, smaller than my Guinea pigs.  Been a long time since I've had a kitten this young.

Decided to call her Layla.  She's by herself in my spare bedroom right now.  Feel bad about her being all alone.  But its for the best.  Not good to just throw her in the mix right away.  Gotta make slow introductions.