Author Topic: Pets  (Read 97564 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Pets
« Reply #750 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
The Houston Doberman Adaption group (where I got my dog) makes their temp homes be inspected and really inside livings.   Then to adapt them from the temp people, I had to have someone examine my house and have a couple interviews.......to make sure I am not a nut.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Well, I had to put my Guinea Pig Ginger to sleep last night.

Last week she stopped coming to me for treats and stopped playing.  And she was breathing very hard. She would just lie in her cage, in the corner.  I took her to the vet and she said Ginger had an upper respiratory (spelling?) disease.  I wiped the cage out with diluted clorox, threw everything else away and bought new stuff.  And seperated her from Tawny.  But she got worse.  She would eat some if I put the food right under her nose, and I would hold the bottle to her to drink.

Then last night she started gasping, vet closed at 7 so I rushed her over.  They put her on oxygen but her breathing didn't improve.  After some discussion I made the decision.  She wasn't getting any better and she was suffering.  Vet said I was doing everything right.  That maybe it was genetic.

I know I've only had her for a few weeks, but its amazing how attached you can become to the the little critters.  It was really hard.  Tawny seems fine, but the vet said to give it two weeks before getting her a new friend, just in case.  I'm sure Tawny's lonely, but I've been trying to give her extra attention.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »
I'm sorry, it's hard to lose a pet, even if you've known them for a short while.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
:(

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
I'm sorry, it's hard to lose a pet, even if you've known them for a short while.

I agree. That optimism you are still riding is just crushed.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I also think it's nice, though, that your vet was so accommodating. I have been to vet offices where they will only treat dogs and cats.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

« Reply #755 on: January 30, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
Yes, not many vet offices accept pets other than cats and dogs.  But this practice excepts all pets.  She's called an exotic pets vet and is trained in guineas, lizards, birds, fish, etc.  She's super nice.  But she only works there two days a week, she travels.  I got lucky that she was on duty last night.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #756 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Yes we take ours to an exotics practise, it's the only one in the tri-county area so it's always super busy, but the head vet owns Papillons so she's always extra doting on Jem and Boo.

I hope your other Guinea Pig is okay and will have a new friend when it's safe to do that and you feel ready. :)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6817
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #757 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »
maybe i can get a dog after all...
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #758 on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Mine basically does that with me just walking.

My right arm has gotten much larger this way.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4582
« Reply #759 on: January 30, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
I'm very sorry for your loss, Mrs.DC. :(  It is so easy to get attached to our furry friends, and often so difficult to let go.  Congratulations on the ability to do so.  I am also pleased you had a knowledgeable person to take her to, so she didn't suffer long.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

« Reply #760 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I got a baby critter last Friday night, named her Brownie.  Thought maybe if Tawny saw and heard her she would perk up, it was so sad watching her.  Just lying there.

It's working so far, I set Brownie up in a new fish tank with a lid next to Tawny's cage.  Tawny can see and hear her but can't spread anything if God forbid, she gets sick.    Last night Tawny took some treats and was even jumping around a bit.  If she shows no symptoms after two weeks I'll put them together.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #761 on: February 05, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »
So APGIL and I are in the process of adopting another dog, and after a few false starts it looks like we found a new buddy for us. His name is Mackey (this might change) and he's an 8 year old cattle dog. Pretty handsome fella, too.

He was found as a stray in Virginia and brought up to Pennsylvania to be fostered and rehabilitated, and his foster family has had him since November. He was treated for heartworm (hard to find a dog in the shelter system without it, it seems) but should be ready to roll by the end of February. Otherwise he's in good shape (we hope). He's well mannered and quiet, gets along well with people/kids/dogs/cats, housebroken, and he's crate-trained (hallelujah). His biggest issue is that he doesn't seem to like being roughly handled around the collar. His foster mom got a little too rough with him once and he snapped (although didn't actually bite her). She said since then she's had him in a harness and he seems to like that better. This is what his page on the ACD rescue site said about him:

Mackey is an approximately 8 year old, 40 pound ACD with sweet manners. He loves car rides and hanging out with his person. He’s friendly toward everyone but particularly seems to attach easily to men. He gets along well with other dogs and cats. Mackey has shown an interest in kids and would be fine with older children (8+).

Mackey is polite, crate trained, walks nicely on a leash, knows basic obedience, housebroken, quiet and low energy. He enjoys lying at your feet or snoozing on the couch next to you . He likes going on walks to different places and smelling everything. He is very affectionate and insistent about getting his daily quota of belly rubs and ear scratches. With his friendly demeanor he would easily make a good traveling companion or “hang out at work” dog.

He is current on all his vaccinations and neutered. Mackey is currently undergoing treatment for heartworm and needs to be kept calm and quiet until mid February. If you are looking for a companion to just hang out with you please consider this wonderful boy.

Mackey is being fostered in Bethlehem, PA.

I am the tiniest bit unsure about this, in that I hope we're not getting into another situation where we adopt an older dog and he dies three months later, but I'm hoping that was an anomaly. I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for these older guys -- they've been through a lot and they're so happy to have a home and so sweet and awesome that I can't help but want to take a chance. Again. :)

I just heard back from the foster mom and she said that the vet and one of our references gave us glowing reviews, so unless our other reference gives us a bad review (which I really doubt, our other reference is the woman who was our contact at the shelter where we adopted Chance) it looks like we'll have a new buddy by the end of the month.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #762 on: February 05, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
I think it's really sweet that you try to take care of older dogs. I hope this works out for all of you.  Our Ajax will be 11 in April and he's still a lot of fun, even if he does sleep a bit more and hear a bit less than he used to.

Puppies are adorable and a lot of fun, but they are also a lot of work. I like the idea of getting a dog that's already housebroken and crate trained, one that already knows how to behave around cats and other dogs and kids. Plus a lot of people want to adopt a puppy or a younger dog, and these seniors often have a harder time finding a home. I don't think I could ever foster a dog (I'd get too attached) but if I can give a home to an older dog, then I feel like I've done my part.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #763 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
Is she any particular breed that you know of? The dogs on the ACD rescue site seem to go really quickly; if she's a certain breed of dog then maybe you could list Gracie with them. There's also Petfinder.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #764 on: February 06, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
Been watching a lot of those Animal Planet pet shows since I got my TV in November, and dogs seem fairly good at coming through these sorts of things.  Best to both of you.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot