Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101461 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Pets
« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2012, 06:06:03 AM »
It's really too bad, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #691 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
Sorry to hear.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #692 on: December 31, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
 :'(

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #693 on: January 02, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that

That's the worst thing about having a pet, you grow attached.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Zombie Monty

« Reply #694 on: January 02, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Such sad news during the holidays.  I am so sorry for your loss.

It has been almost two years since we had to put our little Pekingese to sleep, and I still find myself glancing around and expecting to see her every now and then.

So, to change the subject a bit...

I am seriously thinking about adopting a kitten from the local animal shelter.  Found a couple on their website that seem so adorable and will probably be going down there tomorrow to see them in person.

Any tips or suggestions for a potential first time cat owner?

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #695 on: January 02, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
Oooh, first time kitty owner!   

I love cats, I've had many cats go in and out of my life. 

It's a good idea to keep them indoors if all possible.  I've had many go missing.  Sometimes I would find them killed, sometimes not.  When I was a little girl I watched some neighbors beat one of my cats to death with a plastic baseball bat.  People can be cruel, that's why I never let mine out unless they're on a leash or in a carrier.

Cats are very clean.  You have to clean that litter box every day.  Sometimes a cat won't use the litter box.  It's probably because of a dirty box or location.  Sometimes they don't like the litter.  One of my cats, Juno, was actually saved from a kill shelter because her owner said she wouldn't use a litter box.  I've never had a problem with her.  And since none of mine go outside they don't need a bath.  They keep themselves clean.

Please don't declaw a cat.  It's cruel and they need those claws if they ever need to defend themselves.  I clip my cat's nails.  It's pretty easy, you just gotta start when they're young.  I'm sure you can find instructions how to online.

Some people still think its a good idea to give your cats milk.  It's not.  I learned this the hard way.

If you feed them dry food you should also include some wet food, and feline diabetes is pretty commom.  I had a diabetic cat who I had to shoot with insulin.  Some say it's because of the gluten meal in dry food, and it's probably true.  I personally think an raw meat diet is healthier.  But I can't afford it.

And spay or neuter that kitty.  My vet says they can be fixed as young as 10 weeks.  A male will start spraying pretty young.  And when females go into heat males start showing up around your house.  And the yowling can keep you up.  Had a female get loose once and have a litter.  Thank God I found good homes for the babies.  But it could have been avoided and I felt super guilty about it.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy the kitty.  Maybe even get two so she'll have a playmate for when you're gone.  Play with them often.  It's great to keep them fit and healthy, and in my experience...it makes me feel good. 
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Zombie Monty

« Reply #696 on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
I actually thought about getting two, just so they could be playmates.  The shelter I plan on visiting spays and neuters all adoptions, so that will not be a problem.

I am concerned about the diet.  Wet food versus dry food.  Is a combination of the two viable?

And I would never declaw a cat.  Just like chopping their fingers off.  Hell no.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #697 on: January 02, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Unfortunately, the two I had my eye on have already had folks apply to adopt them.   :(

I am still going to go by there tomorrow and check out the kittens to try and find one that I can connect with.  Wish me luck!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #698 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
Anyone in southwestern VA interested in fostering two dogs? Guardian Angels for Soldier's Pets is looking. (My friend was asking so I figured I'd pass it along here.)

Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet is currently looking for a foster home in the state of Virginia.
Start of Foster Term: January 2013
Length of Foster Term: 10 months
Two (2) Pitties in Southern Virginia from the same family need a temporary loving home while their owner is deployed.
Friendly with dogs and kids. Not good with cats. Very bonded, up to date on shots and healthy.
Male, 2 yr old,  55 lbs., Neutered
Female, 2.5 yr old, 40 lbs., Spayed

http://tailsfromthefrontline.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/looking-for-a-foster-home-in-virginia-or-neighboring-state/

Zombie Monty

« Reply #699 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
If I get one, I will be sure to post pics here.  Will keep everyone posted!   ;D

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #700 on: January 02, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Sister and brother in law got a new dog from an adoption place yesterday.  Her name is Oshie and she’s a 15-month old Akita-Border Collie-other mix.   Supposed to be black and white, big and strong and loves people.

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #701 on: January 02, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
I'm so sorry Wurwolf. At least he had good people in his life who loved him and were there through the end.
I know you are but what am I

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #702 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the condolences.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #703 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
Awww, that's sad.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #704 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
I know this was brought up before but why don't you just keep her?