login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 96459 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: Pets
« Reply #540 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
APGIL and I have wanted a dog for years but we've rented since we've been married, and most rentals don't allow dogs. Now that we own a house we want to get a dog, so I've been looking online for a suitable pooch. APGIL has been saying for a while that he wanted an Australian cattle dog but I have not been thrilled because they're kind of high energy and have the potential to be stand-offish to strangers.

So I found this guy the other day, and I have to say that from the ad he looks like the perfect dog for us. Neither of us wanted a dog under the age of five, and while ten is a little old it's not a bad thing. We like to hike and camp and wanted a dog we could take with us, and we have two cats and occasional children in the house, so we wanted a dog who was mellow and friendly. The person I spoke with says that he's older but he still has plenty of pep. He seems perfect -- like a nice, low-key dog.

I've called and he's still available, so the first step is for us to visit him at his foster home. If we like him and our references check out they'll bring him to our house. If that goes well (mostly it's Todd we're worried about) then he's ours.

I'm really hoping it happens. I think he'd be an awesome new friend!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2558
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #541 on: September 12, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Awww, he looks like a fun dog.  Hope you get him.

"plenty of pep", code for he runs around like crazy....  ;D

High energy dogs don't seem to slow down with age like other dogs, they just seem to keep running until they can't anymore.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #542 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
I kept two Jerboas as a child that I retain fond memories of.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:20:56 PM by Lembach »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #543 on: September 12, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
Actually "plenty of pep" is my phrase, she just said he's active enough where he still likes to play but he's not as wild as a younger dog might be. I told her we like to hike and she was like, he'd be perfect, you probably wouldn't even need a leash for him because he doesn't go running off.

But if he is more of a runner than we anticipate, that's okay. We have a fenced in yard. :)

And that throwing thing looks great! I will look for it if we do wind up getting Chance.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #544 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »
Fingers crossed that you get him though, he looks awesome and foster dogs always need homes.

Honestly, I don't see why more people don't get foster dogs or dogs from the pound. They screen those dogs really well so you know pretty much exactly what you're getting -- whether they can handle kids, or cats, or any other odd quirks of their personalities that might affect your overall enjoyment of them as a pet. If you want a specific breed, you can go online and find it. If you want a puppy, shelters have plenty of them, too.

Not to mention the fact that you're doing something good. Every dog deserves a human who loves it. I truly do not see a downside to adopting a dog from a shelter.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #545 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
wurwolf, I feel the same way about cats - in fact, every single one I've ever owned has been a "previously owned" or stray pet. It's always driven me nuts when I hear my friends talk about buying some designer animal for hundreds of dollars when there are perfectly good dogs, cats, and etceteras waiting (some literally on death's door, at the typical shelter).

Coragale

« Reply #546 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
When I get into a more suitable home, I'd like a Pyrenees to go with Ein. If I couldn't find one, I'd adopt from a foster home, probably. I've suddenly become a fan of Border Collies, too...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:38 AM »
Better have a large yard for either a Great Pyrenees or a Border, since they're hearding dogs they like to have a range to patrol. My in-laws have a GP, her name is Sadie:

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #548 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:23 AM »
Yes, but only when I can't think of something else to do with them, hang on...

Best I can do when it comes to a pic without jiggery-pokery done to it:

From the collection of photos taken for Ann's sister's wedding, which also contains my favourite pic of her father ever.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:54:42 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #549 on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »
My cousin has always been one of those people that had to have the pure bred dogs from a breeder.  For twenty years that's how she got her dogs.

Then four years ago she took in a mix breed schnauzer.  She loves that dog like a kid.  I actually dogsat Riley Jones once, I loved her too.  She's actually a lot like a cat.  Would love a mix of my own, but they're hard to find.

Since Riley my cousin has adopted two other dogs and cats.  She told me once they're the best that she didn't understand why she kept buying dogs for $200-$400 a pop.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #550 on: September 13, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
When I get into a more suitable home, I'd like a Pyrenees to go with Ein. If I couldn't find one, I'd adopt from a foster home, probably. I've suddenly become a fan of Border Collies, too...

Pet Finder is a pretty good site. It's linked up to shelters, not breeders, and (as far as I know) not private pet owners. You can search for a particular breed in your area and they use handy little symbols to tell you if a dog should go to a home without kids, cats or other dogs. And you can really find a dog that will make the best fit in your lifestyle because they screen them at shelters. Talk about your designer dogs.

I did a really broad search because we are in rural Pennsylvania. I was okay with a three hour drive, and that's about how far it will be to look at our dog.

Also border collies are beautiful and incredibly clever dogs, but Tripe is right, they need a lot of range area or they get bored and create havoc. They're best left to folks with an acreage.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Coragale

« Reply #551 on: September 13, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
It definitely wouldn't be for a few years, anyway. Need to get money to invest in a home, which will take a while. :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #552 on: September 13, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
I got very lucky with the Houston Doberman adoption group and I picked up the perfect 4.5 year old.

Coragale

« Reply #553 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

Love this dog.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #554 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
We have a doge! We have a dogie dogie doge!!!

Just heard from the woman at the shelter, our references checked out and Chance is ours! We just have to arrange for a day to have him brought to our house. Wooo!

I have really missed having a dog in my life. There will be hair everywhere but it will be nice to have a doggie again.