what a beautiful bunny, never seen a wild black bunny before

Never saw Ebony Ayes?

Nor this black bunny either.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4586
Re: Pets
« Reply #451 on: May 01, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
It's been free for over a month now and we have stray cats in the area not to mention a busy street so it was just a matter of time that it would be taken out..

Plan is to build a 3 x 5 cage elevated about 5 feet off the ground. I'll be working on that this week sometime..

I thought maybe it was from what sounded like major (house?) construction going on in the video... thought maybe what had been a largely tree-filled area was getting plowed under for another structure to go up, so it no longer had easy concealment.  But, yeah, I did notice the rather active street in front, which would be enough to endanger it on its own.  The cage size sounds spacious.

Luckily my sub is 'self-contained' (no through streets in it), so VERY little traffic, particularly since I'm in the back of it.  And the house just behind mine has a large back yard that they don't even prune, so it's a quite thick block of assorted trees, shrubs, and tall weeds about 50' square, so the assorted wildlife around me is pretty safe.  Helps that there are very few outdoor cats around here, too.  What does all of that add up to?  LOTS of entertainment for my cat out the patio door! :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3782
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #452 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
Oh if my neighborhood was like that, I'd leave roam but yeah the road is busy constantly so it's for its own protection. :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #453 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
Just finished taking my Doberman for a walk and we started to go in the backyard when she quietly went tearing off the back porch.  Turns out she saw a rabbit in the yard and made a lighting fast move after it and it barely got out of the yard in time.

Almost chompfest.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #454 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
About to start building a pen for my bunny and last night the owls were close by.. :o
Might need to add some wire mesh for a roof.. :scared:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
About to start building a pen for my bunny and last night the owls were close by.. :o

I'd do it more for hawks than owls, unless it's a really big one like the great horned.  And also for climbing predators like cats and foxes and such...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #456 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »

I'd do it more for hawks than owls, unless it's a really big one like the great horned.  And also for climbing predators like cats and foxes and such...
Not sure the type of owl but they've swooped down snagging squirrels in my backyard before..
Cats are around but with my dogs nearby, they steer clear, and never seen a fox in the downtown where I'm at.. :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »

Not sure the type of owl but they've swooped down snagging squirrels in my backyard before..
Cats are around but with my dogs nearby, they steer clear, and never seen a fox in the downtown where I'm at.. :o

Wow, that must be a good sized owl to go after squirrels.  And that bunny isn't much bigger than a big squirrel.

Coragale

« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »
It doesn't have to be a big owl. It just... has to have a big heart.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #459 on: May 05, 2012, 05:18:54 AM »
Yeah we've got some large owls here with wing spans around 2 1/2 feet according to local reports..
Freaked out my Shepard/Husky mix when he was alive on a few occasions :o

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #460 on: May 05, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »
My dog would just love a giant owl.....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #461 on: May 05, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »
They look like this yeah?

Based on wingspan and where you live Marty's probably dead on and we're talkng about Bubo virginianus. :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #462 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
That's them exactly!!

Cool looking but a major threat to small pets & animals :scared:

jasimon1

« Reply #463 on: May 17, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
Came home today to find out my Mom had to put our dog to sleep. I knew when I left this morning that was what I was probably going to come home to but it's still really hard. And tomorrow I have to work from home because they shut our building down due to NATO being in town. So now I get to sit around an empty house all day missing her.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #464 on: May 17, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
Sorry to hear, Sicgirl. :(