Author Topic: Pets  (Read 101389 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Re: Pets
« Reply #420 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »

This is Urrow.  She's about four years old.  I got her on 09/09/09, which I think is really nifty, and I pretty much saved her from euthanasia as I got her from the city shelter and not from the SPCA. Whoever had her before me must have really loved her as she was very healthy and not skittish at all.  I like to say we saved each other's lives as it was the third year after the messy, harrowing end of a LTR and having her was the first thing to lift me from the shock, apathy and self-destructive crap following that.

I always name cats after the first sound they make when they introduce themselves to me. Makes sense that a cat should have a name she can pronounce.  ;D

Every cliche' you ever heard about crazy cat ladies applies to me. (Except for cat hoarding! I am a firm believer cats need individual attention; one or two at the most is all I would ever consider having, and only one if I am living in a tiny studio apartment like this.)
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #421 on: April 23, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
She's beautiful. I can't tell if she's grey or brown, but she's still a nice-looking cat.

Hooray for shelter cats.  :highfive:
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
She's beautiful. I can't tell if she's grey or brown, but she's still a nice-looking cat.

What she is, and the photo unfortunately doesn't show it at all because of the bad lighting and worse camera I took it with, is a dappled orange over grey tabby, and her face is a "dawn and dusk" face, with the left side being almost wholly orange and the right side being grey and black.  When the sun shines on her the orange in her stripings shows off and in the shade one might think she was just another grey tabby.  This amazing affect showed to me immediately and it was love at first sight.  She was just old enough to pronounce a catname when I got her too: when it's a kitten they pretty much are all saying "meeoooo! meeeoooo!" and develop their adult voices when they grow tails that can curl instead of those tiny little exclamation point kitten tails.

Urrow was just past kitten stage when I got her and her markings were a bit lighter shaded than they are now.  But the dapple effect is incredibly unique - I wish I had a better picture of her online that shows it, as I'd never seen anything like it in a cat before.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #423 on: April 23, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
Do you have a smart phone by chance?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #424 on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »

What she is, and the photo unfortunately doesn't show it at all because of the bad lighting and worse camera I took it with, is a dappled orange over grey tabby, and her face is a "dawn and dusk" face, with the left side being almost wholly orange and the right side being grey and black.  When the sun shines on her the orange in her stripings shows off and in the shade one might think she was just another grey tabby.  This amazing affect showed to me immediately and it was love at first sight.  She was just old enough to pronounce a catname when I got her too: when it's a kitten they pretty much are all saying "meeoooo! meeeoooo!" and develop their adult voices when they grow tails that can curl instead of those tiny little exclamation point kitten tails.

Urrow was just past kitten stage when I got her and her markings were a bit lighter shaded than they are now.  But the dapple effect is incredibly unique - I wish I had a better picture of her online that shows it, as I'd never seen anything like it in a cat before.

You and I are lucky in that we each have cats with such striking markings. My Kitty is the same or at least similar (but with more white on her than Urrow):

There is a stray around here in Brooklyn that has those markings, but other than Kitty and now Urrow I have never seen another cat like it.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #425 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
Beautiful cat and portrait there, ww!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #426 on: April 23, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
You and I are lucky in that we each have cats with such striking markings. My Kitty is the same or at least similar (but with more white on her than Urrow):

Holy Toledo! She looks like she could be Urrow's cat-momma!

"What a lovely Kitty.  I'm sure she'll win first prize in the Pet Show..." ;)   

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #427 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Do you have a smart phone by chance?

Yep, I have a nifty 'Droid slab but my wifi is flaky and I can't find the USB cable that directly connects it to my bigbox.  I have six zillion Urrow pictures on it and can't do a thing with 'em until I find it.  Danged apartment currently renovating old SRO hotel and all the shunting around we have to do caused me to lose track of this important little cable and break the antenna on my wifi router too.  I'll probably just end up buying a new one from LG, they can't be THAT costly.

I am also without a desk, my webserver needs to be paid before I can FTP to them again, etc. etc. ad nauseum.  But soon these small issues will be taken care of. Then the photo fun begins for me and not just cat pictures.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #428 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Okay cool, you're going to want to download a camera app that does HDR. There are a number of them, I use the one with the rainbow rosette icon. It will help show off her markings. :)

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #429 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

I've always liked the line right down her nose.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #430 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »

Wow...and she takes to the leash...something very few cats will do! You got a winner there. What is her name?

Coragale

« Reply #431 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
"Man, you walk yo cat on a leash? DAMN!" -Some rad dude outside of Quirk's building.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #432 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »

Wow...and she takes to the leash...something very few cats will do! You got a winner there. What is her name?
That would be Whammy (my sister in law* was going for a game show theme with the cats, which is why one of the other 2 we have is named Plinko). We've actually been having a bit of a problem with her lately; after a trip to the vet she came back and started hissing/growling at the other cats. She's getting better now though.

*Yes, I live with my brother and his wife.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:26:26 AM by Space version 2.0 »

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
Fixed. Exciting, I know.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:32:43 AM by Space version 2.0 »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »
Plinko is almost as good a name for a cat as Todd.  :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!