login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 96922 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 466
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: Pets
« Reply #1050 on: August 02, 2018, 11:18:50 PM »
My poor ratties have mites. I'm trying to deal with them, but giving a struggling rat a bath isn't easy to do. The other option is a flea thing for kittens, but it's pricier. Ivermectin is really cheap, just requires more work to get results.

I also decided to make them a mix this time, instead of just buying Oxbow blocks. Its got Cheerios, dried bananas, blueberries, sunflower seeds, peas, pasta, and rice. So far, they really seem to enjoy it. I may give them a boiled egg once a week, since they might want a bit more protein, but otherwise I think they're pretty happy with the food, and it cost about the same as Oxbow rat food, so I'm pleased.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #1051 on: August 21, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
Our beagle mix has bright red skin and has been scrathing like crazy. According to our vet, it's been a terrible year for pets with allergies (and I know my own hayfever has been worse this year then it's been for a number of years). Have him on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammitory for his skin infection and ear drops for his ear infection.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1052 on: August 21, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
Our beagle mix has bright red skin and has been scrathing like crazy. According to our vet, it's been a terrible year for pets with allergies (and I know my own hayfever has been worse this year then it's been for a number of years). Have him on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammitory for his skin infection and ear drops for his ear infection.

That would explain why my corgi always has red spots and scratches and chews nonstop, even though I make sure to keep his flea stuff sorted.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1053 on: August 24, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
So animal control was here, clearing out the house and surrounding area across the street. Of cats. The same house my cats came from. I knew this day was coming, and my cats have collars for exactly this reason.

Gone are Pretty Boy, Rolly Polly, One-Legged Orange Cat, White Face and Siamese Cat. I would have been happy to keep feeding them, but I can't afford to take care of them properly. Still, I'm going to miss them. Rolly Polly especially. He was so happy go lucky. It mortifies me, thinking of him in a cage  :'(

One of my own cats is in my lap, being uncharacteristically insistent, as if to say "Not me too?" No Albert, this is your forever home. You never need worry.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1054 on: October 17, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »

To boldy go where no rat has gone before!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 485
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #1055 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
That was Janeway I presume?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1056 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »
Yup, that's Janeway.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #1057 on: October 23, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
Today, we had to put down my cat Mcgee. Her labs showed signs of kidney failure, she wasn't active or moving at all and we all suspected because of her muscle wasting that she had cancer. Poor thing was doing so bad, I hated to have to be there when she was put down but I felt a duty to stay with her as she passed away. She was such a good kitty and I'll always miss her.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1058 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
I am so sorry Russoguru :'( It's a terrible thing seeing your feline friend wasting away. Believe me, I know. The best thing you can do for them is be there with them at the end.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #1059 on: October 24, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
I am so sorry Russoguru :'( It's a terrible thing seeing your feline friend wasting away. Believe me, I know. The best thing you can do for them is be there with them at the end.
Thank you Cjones. I appreciate that.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4552
« Reply #1060 on: November 05, 2018, 03:03:04 AM »
Today, we had to put down my cat Mcgee. Her labs showed signs of kidney failure, she wasn't active or moving at all and we all suspected because of her muscle wasting that she had cancer. Poor thing was doing so bad, I hated to have to be there when she was put down but I felt a duty to stay with her as she passed away. She was such a good kitty and I'll always miss her.

I am so sorry.  I've been isolated for a while, so only just saw this.

It is so hard when a beloved family member dies.  I know the transition was easier for her because you were there with her, and I give you credit for being there regardless how difficult it was for you.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #1061 on: November 05, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
I am so sorry.  I've been isolated for a while, so only just saw this.
It is so hard when a beloved family member dies.  I know the transition was easier for her because you were there with her, and I give you credit for being there regardless how difficult it was for you.
Thank you Lucas. I feel like I have... I know it might sound silly to others but I felt like I had a moral duty to stay with her as she slipped away. For her to be surrounded by strangers in that moment just... it just doesn't feel right.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #1062 on: November 10, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
Our dog, Tater, got attacked by the neighbor's dog. The only emergency vet clinics are in KC, and I've got work in a few hours, so I can't take him. My dad doesn't want to drive in KC because he's easily confused, and my mom is on bedrest post-op. Thankfully my cousin is home, but I still think my dad is pretty heartless with debating to take a dog who has walked half a mile with a chunk the size of my fist torn out of his leg to an animal hospital. He's lost a ton of blood, and he's going to at least need stitches and probably a transfusion. I'm really worried that he's going to get an infection.

And once again, I proved that I am fully capable of handling human blood and all that, but seeing an animal like that makes me seriously sick.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4552
« Reply #1063 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
I hope your cousin can get Tater to the vet quickly, and that everything works out OK.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #1064 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
Shit...that's terrible. I hope Tater ends up OK.
We're fortunate to have a really good emergency clinic here. I got to spend a lot of time there when we had a dog with cancer and it's amazing seeing what all they can treat.