Author Topic: Pets  (Read 78740 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3837
Re: Pets
« Reply #990 on: December 15, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »

This didn't go in the 'Particularly Amusing Cartoon' thread, because honestly, it's not particularly amusing... it just happens to be reasonable. :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3837
« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
I was just reading comments on a Facebook page, and multiple people commented on their distress at shocking their pets with static with the extreme cold and consequent low house humidity. So I thought I'd share this.

In some electronics stores (and online), one can find 'static discharge pads' that are self-adhesive. These are generally used for electronics safety, but I'm expanding their usefulness here. Some of them are as small as 2x2", but regardless of size, they should have a wire coming out of them that one connects to a grounding post somewhere (the screw on an electrical outlet is adequate if there is conduit in the walls instead of just insulated wires). I'd suggest attaching these near common areas where one pets one's pets ;) , and get in the habit of discharging oneself into it when one sees the pet approaching.

If possible, you may want to also have a large enough one on the floor that the pet would step on it on its way to you, because you may not be the source of the static: if you have carpet, your friend walking around is rubbing fur on plastic, which is pretty much guaranteed to cause static. Since cats naturally stand in squares on the ground, if one has a static discharge pad that is maybe 10x10", utilizing it shouldn't be an issue for feline family members (once they are used to it being present), and I suspect many dogs will ignore such things on their way for a good head-skritching. :)

I hope this helps prevent a few disrupted relationships this Winter (and beyond) ['next Winter' for those Forum members below the equator :) ].

[Also shared in Completely Random Thoughts thread.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #992 on: January 13, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
I took one of my black cats to the vet recently, and the vet's assistant said "Aww, I want a black cat." I told her, come to my neighborhood. There are plenty that need a home.

The people across the street have been leaving food out for stray cats for a couple years now. I know they mean well, but the population of black and black & white cats has gotten out of control. They've clearly been interbreeding. I took in three of them about a year ago, when they were kittens, and had them neutered. However, my cats are starting to get pissed off at the number of other cats hanging around my front yard.

What's sad is that these other cats are very friendly. They would make great pets, but I simply can't afford to take care of them all.