Author Topic: Pets  (Read 97731 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Pets
« Reply #735 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
That is why we 6 foot people rule the world........and dogs look up to us more.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #736 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
My brother-in-law was here and we were talking about Chance. He was talking about what a big impression Chance made on him, that his experience with dogs had been limited and not especially positive, but our dog changed that. He had no idea that dogs like him existed, and that at some point down the road when they get a dog for their family, he wants it to be like Chance -- his friendliness, his love for his family, his devotion and loyalty. He thinks that they might get a cattle dog, too.

It made me feel good to hear him say these great things about Chance, and to know that Chance was a good ambassador for his breed.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4591
« Reply #737 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »
Yeah, the no pit rule does sound kind of mean (and dare I say a bit classist?) but I can see the reasons behind it. I swear they are the most rambunctious dogs. They really don't belong in an apartment unless they're well trained, and let's be honest, training a dog is a lot of work.

On another note, shortly after Chance passed I sent an email to the woman who was my contact at his shelter. I thought she should know that he was no longer alive and what had happened. She checks her email sporadically and I knew it would be a while until I heard from her, and last night I received this email from her. It helped put things into perspective for me, and I thought I would share it here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good lord... what a beautiful note!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #738 on: January 21, 2013, 03:32:59 AM »
Sigh. Gracie's scratch looked like it was getting better, and then it started suppurating today. :( I'll have to try to get her in to our vet tomorrow, the poor thing. I hope she doesn't need stitches and an antibiotic will handle it.

Updates?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #739 on: January 21, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
Good luck with the talks.

You could always claim she was a medically needed assistant dog.  Now, assisting you with WHAT is an open question.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #740 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
Can anyone tell me a little about heartworm in dogs? I kind of already know what it is and what the treatment is, I guess what I want to know is:

- How effective the treatment is
- After receiving treatment and being cured, how it will affect the dog's subsequent life
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #741 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
The treatment lasts a few weeks of intra-muscle injections, generally the treatment in dogs leads to a fairly full return to normalcy.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #742 on: January 22, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
Thanks. I ask because there is a cattle dog for adoption that we kind of like, but she has recently tested positive for heartworm and they said she would have to undergo treatment before being adopted. I guess first, I wanted to make sure we weren't possibly getting into another situation like our last, and second to have an idea of how long the treatments last. I don't mind waiting a month or even a few months. We're in no rush to get another dog, but we do miss having one in the house.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #743 on: January 22, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »
You'll want to ask how bad the infection is and if there is a possibility of caval syndrome.

But she'll be in the care of the shelter presumably so it'll be like she's hospitalised for treatment (which is the best way to administer it) so it's most likely she'll be on the road to recovery pretty quickly and then it's just a matter of maintaining the monthly preventative treatment. :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #744 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »
The other name for the breed was also the title of an Australian police show in I think the 90s.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:49:07 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #745 on: January 22, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
You'll want to ask how bad the infection is and if there is a possibility of caval syndrome.

But she'll be in the care of the shelter presumably so it'll be like she's hospitalised for treatment (which is the best way to administer it) so it's most likely she'll be on the road to recovery pretty quickly and then it's just a matter of maintaining the monthly preventative treatment. :)

Actually she's in foster care right now which means she's in someone's home, but regardless of that, she's still receiving treatment for it. I believe they caught it in the early stages and that's she's pretty healthy otherwise. I just looked up caval syndrome and will ask about it; according to the brief google search I just did it seems to predominately affect male dogs.

I had to look this breed up and found this picture on Wiki, of an Australian Cattle Dog as a mascot for an Aussie division in WWII:

That's the dog. It's a puppy so its ears are not standing up yet, something that naturally occurs in cattle dogs. I love that about them, those giant ears that just stick straight up. Here is a picture of the dog we're thinking about. She's four years old and her name is Meka.

Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #746 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
You can find a lot of them in rescues online. They have a reputation for kind of being stubborn assholes. Everything I see says something like, "This dog has a nice temperament for a cattle dog."

The thing is, Chance was one of the nicest dogs I ever knew. Everyone liked him, except for our cat Todd, and no one likes Todd. There's a lot about the cattle dog breed that's endearing, but they have to be socialized and trained. They're not a dog you can just ignore and hope it turns out well. A lot of people don't realize that and so a lot of these dogs wind up in shelters.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

jasimon1

« Reply #747 on: January 22, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
Yep.  And if there's one thing Tennesseans like to do, it's to ignore dogs and then abandon them.  Should probably be on the state flag somewhere, but it's kind of busy trying not to look confederate.

Wait, they are trying? I figured with every souvenir shop having a confederate section and the giant KKK statue near Nashville, it was pretty much just a look the other way type mentality.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #748 on: January 22, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
The flag looks like a bowling ball for people with really misshapen fingers.

jasimon1

« Reply #749 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »
Yep.  And if there's one thing Tennesseans like to do, it's to ignore dogs and then abandon them.  Should probably be on the state flag somewhere, but it's kind of busy trying not to look confederate.

Thinking about it, this statement is kind of dickish. Most of the people involved in the dog rescue and spay and neuter clinic are local Tennesseeans. So it's not like everyone in the state just hates dogs and only transplants from elsewhere pick up the slack. 

The real problem is that there's a culture of "ah ain't payin no TAXES" here which means that there's no money for any kind of local services and it all has to be volunteer/charity.  I don't know if local residents don't care about dogs more than someone in, say, Milwaukee does, but Milwaukee actually has animal services, and middle TN doesn't.  That's the real problem: the south.

There does seem to be more of a 'let them run free' mentality there though than other places I've lived where if a pet was unwanted, they went to a shelter or pet store to be resold. All of my sister's dogs have been found dogs running free and I constantly see dogs roaming around when I'm down there. She had a friend who would rescue sick/old dogs and let them live on her farm. She used to get the police called on her all the time because it looked like she was neglecting the animals because they all had something wrong with them (not to mention the very old horse on the property). She kept telling them that she was trying to help the dogs that would be otherwise killed and people just looked at her like she was insane.