login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 99712 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Re: Pets
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
We have a new addition to our family!  Meet Bruce, a mixed breed Australian Cattle Dog.  He was surrendered to the humaine society around thanksgiving by a family who kept him exclusively outside, tied to a tiny dog house, and didn't even feed him everyday.  They said he's about a year and a half old.  When he arrived at the humaine society, all he did was hide in the corner.  They have been working with him really hard for the past 6 weeks to make him a bit more sociable, and only just recently decided he was rehabilitated enough to go up for adoption.

He's really quite shy still, but he warms up to you pretty quickly if you're mellow.  He still needs a lot of work as far as potty training and positive re-enforcement, but he's a sweetheart.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:57:32 PM by SmilinJackRoss »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »
OK this won't be for a while since a)we're still missing our miss Dolly so very much and b)there's a waiting list but we thing the next member of the family will be one of these little fellas:

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
Everybody's got such pretty pets, loved looking at them all.  Here are mine (hope the links work, couldn't copy to page)

Mr. Kitty, he'll be 16 in March and Juno, my Kitten

More current pic of Juno, at about a year

Lucy at her favorite place, the fish tank

I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »

Man, all this cuteness. Here's someone not as cute (at least not in typical company. -I- think he's adorable):

My 9-year old corn snake, Prowl Jr.. I have several other pets, but he's the only one that will sit still long enough for me to actually get a semi-decent shot. He likes to sit in my lap and watch TV with me sometimes, and attempts to go up my shirt the rest of the time (often succeeding). He also loves going to the bathroom on Pak. All my snakes do, actually.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  :gouge:
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »
Oh please.  ::)  You're looking at the wussiest snake that ever lived.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »
He likes to sit in my lap and watch TV with me sometimes, and attempts to go up my shirt the rest of the time (often succeeding). He also loves going to the bathroom on Pak. All my snakes do, actually.

That would be adorable if it were small, fuzzy, and four-legged, like a guinea pig or a puppy.

But it's a snake, which makes it pretty freakin' sweet.  And adorable, but... really freakin' sweet.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
Thanks, Dim.  :)

He really is my best (animal) friend. Every bit a friend to me that a dog would be to someone else. So many people have prejudice and fear against snakes that it's hard to make them understand that, but I swear it's the truth.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »
I like snakes. The thing with snakes that makes people uneasy is that they don't show emotion through facial expressions (Ok, that's not the ONLY thing, but you get the point). The have, however, been proven to have them. When they strike, they're much more frightened than the person they're striking. This has been Quirk's Quirky Little Science Corner! Now back to the thread!

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
Corn Snakes have nice markings. I've always liked them. I don't own a snake myself, but my aunt used to have a Garter Snake she named Gasket, because of his habit of wrapping himself around the underside of the roof of his cage, as though he were trying to form a seal around the inside of the lid. Most of the times he was out of the cage, he spent with his bottom half wrapped around her neck and his top half sticking out over the top of her head, amongst her hair, like he was trying to help her do an impression of medusa. He was awesome.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

anais.jude

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
i think snakes are cool

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »
I like snakes. The thing with snakes that makes people uneasy is that they don't show emotion through facial expressions (Ok, that's not the ONLY thing, but you get the point). The have, however, been proven to have them. When they strike, they're much more frightened than the person they're striking. This has been Quirk's Quirky Little Science Corner! Now back to the thread!

Oh yeah. They're all about the body language and pheromones (can read the former, obviously not the latter). I can tell when any of my snakes are in bad moods and want to be left alone, and when they want attention. They can be surprisingly affectionate too. I won't pretend they think complex thoughts any more than cats or dogs do, but you can see the gears turning behind those beady eyes if you look close enough. Especially when they're trying to figure out how to escape their tanks (which is nearly all the time).

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »
Actually, I think It would be rather pants crappingly frightening indeed if a snake started showing emotion.
that's just how we ride.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
I have nothing against snakes.  I know it's all me.  I'm just a big scaredy baby.

Chameleons and frogs, however, are evil incarnate and must be eradicated from the face of the earth and all memory of them erased in the annals of history.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!