login

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 87924 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 112
Re: Pets
« Reply #1035 on: June 02, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
Had an appointment to have the vet come and put my 13+ year old blind diabetic black lab down on Tuesday- was struggled to stand- and the SOB had yet another miraculous recovery Tuesday morning. Vet was amazed he was doing as well as he is at his age. He's still old, blind, and gets confused as to where he's going a couple of times a day, but he's up and walking around a lot more, humping his big stuffed bear, and playing with the beagle puppy a couple of times a day ever since Tuesday.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:10:44 PM by wihogfan »

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 479
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1036 on: June 09, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
We've had a stray cat for almost 2 years now and man has he grown up fast. Seems like just yesterday he was a teeny little kitten. I'm talking about Rory(I forgot if I mentioned him in earlier comments). One quality I really look for in a cat is that they like being held. Rory doesn't mind being picked up at all(Unlike most of my other cats) and I'll pet him and he'll let me hold him at least a minute or two before he wants to be put back on the ground. The way I see it, holding a cat is a great way of bonding with them. My... old cat Jake loved to be held and he would purr every moment I held him in my arms... rest his poor little soul.   

Rory, as in the Gilmore Girls character? My sister has an English Setter named Rory. My mom got a miniature Poodle and I suggested naming him Luke.

I agree with you, cuddly cats are the best. None of my current cats really want to nap with me. But my previous cat, Teddy, loved to sleep on my chest. We would nap for hours on end, with him purring away. I was devastated when he dropped dead of a heart attack :'(

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 153
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #1037 on: June 10, 2018, 05:51:39 AM »
I have three black cats, all from the same litter. Victoria, Albert and Urchin. Found them as strays across the street last year. Last summer they were kittens. This summer, black cat hair all over the place. I've had long haired cats that produced less hair than these guys. As I'm sitting here at my computer, I see globs of hair on the floor from where they'll come up to me and beg to be scratched. I love cats, but man, these guys can sure make a mess  :o

Stray cat fur keeps getting caught in the back of my fan so that it gradually becomes less effective.  Once a month, I have to take it apart submerge parts of the housing in water to clean it out.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
Our 1 year old beagle has started to "bury" his food in different places. He'll take a couple of pieces of dry food and hide it underneath the water dish mat, underneath dog beds, and in the couch. I had a towel on the floor in the kitchen to wipe up some water, and he dropped food onto the towlel and nudged/folded the towel on top of it. Had beagles growing up and I remember them burying food and treats in the backyard, so maybe it's a beagle thing because labs definitely don't do that (they do however quickly find the food wherever the beagle leaves it).

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
« Reply #1039 on: July 02, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »
Our terrier mix did it, all good with dry food, not quite so pleasant with softer food!

• Big Montana
« Reply #1040 on: July 04, 2018, 03:52:23 AM »
My orange tabby cat boy Naja has recently developed an affinity for rubber bands.  I got some wide rubber bands (about 1/4 inch wide) to bind together some papers.  Well I had a few dozen left over.  Naja loves these things.  If I dangle one over his head he jumps and paws at it.  If I shoot one over his head toward the wall he chases it.  If I leave the bag on top of the 5 foot tall chest of drawers he leaps to the top of it, starts extracting rubber bands, and makes a big mess.  He'll roll over onto his back and play with one.  He'll push one under some furniture and try to get it back.  Very adorable, and very cheap.  I just wish my tuxedo girl Shikaree was as easily amused.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4219
« Reply #1041 on: July 04, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »
My orange tabby cat boy Naja has recently developed an affinity for rubber bands.  I got some wide rubber bands (about 1/4 inch wide) to bind together some papers.  Well I had a few dozen left over.  Naja loves these things.  If I dangle one over his head he jumps and paws at it.  If I shoot one over his head toward the wall he chases it.  If I leave the bag on top of the 5 foot tall chest of drawers he leaps to the top of it, starts extracting rubber bands, and makes a big mess.  He'll roll over onto his back and play with one.  He'll push one under some furniture and try to get it back.  Very adorable, and very cheap.  I just wish my tuxedo girl Shikaree was as easily amused.

Just one thing: make sure you account for EVERY rubber band before leaving his presence, and have them out of his reach before leaving the room where he is.  Swallowed rubber bands can not only be toxic if they are digested, but can bind up the gut and require surgery to remove (if the intestine isn't ruptured first).  Any elastic string is very dangerous to a pet to swallow, as they can stretch internally, and bind up, and cut into the intestinal wall.  If the back part gets 'stuck' and the front part is pushed onwards by food, it can tie the gut up into almost a knot.  This cuts off blood supply to the area, causing necrotic tissue which may not be discovered until it is too toxic to do anything about.

So, be VERY careful about using rubber bands as playthings.  I choose to never do so unless I am at the other end of it, just to be on the safe side.

A much better option is the ring that keeps a plastic jug of milk (or OJ) sealed: those milk-rings are stiff so they cannot be easily swallowed, and cannot compress easily into a form that can be swallowed, plus they can make a great 'hockey' game on hard floors.  They should be immediately disposed of if a cat chews through a part of one though, as they can become dangerous at that point.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:34:46 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

• Big Montana
« Reply #1042 on: July 05, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »

Just one thing: make sure you account for EVERY rubber band before leaving his presence, and have them out of his reach before leaving the room where he is.  Swallowed rubber bands can not only be toxic if they are digested, but can bind up the gut and require surgery to remove (if the intestine isn't ruptured first).  Any elastic string is very dangerous to a pet to swallow, as they can stretch internally, and bind up, and cut into the intestinal wall.  If the back part gets 'stuck' and the front part is pushed onwards by food, it can tie the gut up into almost a knot.  This cuts off blood supply to the area, causing necrotic tissue which may not be discovered until it is too toxic to do anything about.

So, be VERY careful about using rubber bands as playthings.  I choose to never do so unless I am at the other end of it, just to be on the safe side.

Ooh a bit late for that.  I have no clue how many rubber bands have been removed from the package.  But I guess I can clean them up and be more careful going forward.

A much better option is the ring that keeps a plastic jug of milk (or OJ) sealed: those milk-rings are stiff so they cannot be easily swallowed, and cannot compress easily into a form that can be swallowed, plus they can make a great 'hockey' game on hard floors.  They should be immediately disposed of if a cat chews through a part of one though, as they can become dangerous at that point.

He was really into those for a while too, but he kind of lost interest.  Naja is a fickle boy.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #1043 on: July 06, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Had to put my 14 year old lab down yesterday (estimated age as he was picked up as stray and spent 6 months at 2 different Humane Societies before we got him 7 years ago-was due to be put down at the first Humane Society when the Humane Society in our town took him in because despite being an older dog that is harder to get adopted, he very friendly with people and other dogs and was very well trained).
The wife is pretty devastated. I had been been trying to convince her it was time for the last couple of weeks, but the final straw was when he stopped eating a couple of days ago (up until then he was a typical lab who would eat everything that you'd give him no matter what it was).
Personally, I'm handling it better than any of the others we've had to put down over the years because it was definitely time and he had led a good long life (at least the last 7 years were good). 

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1044 on: July 06, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
I'm very sorry wihogfan.  Regardless of it being time and him having a good, long life, it is still difficult to let a family member go.  I am pleased that he had someone who cared enough to let him go when he showed you by not eating that he was done with his life.  I suspect he appreciated that from you, as he appreciated all the care and love you and your wife gave him over the years.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 606
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2018, 05:09:58 AM »
our great  Pyrenees ivory has died early this morning when i went to see her she was as stiff as a board, so a friend of the family named bill is going to use
my dads back ho to dig a grave for her,and the great irony is that my mom died today around the same time two years ago.
for the best riffers of the age got to
 www.robotco-op.com

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
I am so sorry, Henry88.  To lose a family member is so difficult.  I have not seen anything here on difficulties, was this expected to some degree?  That doesn't make it any easier, but it might be considerably more difficult emotionally if this was unexpected.  Either way, I am sorry.  And to have it occur on the same day as the anniversary of another recent major loss sounds especially painful.

• Big Montana
« Reply #1047 on: July 16, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
I was lying on the couch watching a movie.  I got up to go to the bathroom and saw this.  It was a one in a million shot.  I had to take it.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 214
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #1048 on: July 16, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »
My condolences to you as well Henry.  :(

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #1049 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
Sorry for your loss Henry.
After every one we've lost up to this point, we soon thereafter went out and adopted another one. But we can't legally have more than 3 and we still have 3 (yes, we had more than we should have legally had for awhile, but 3 is a lot to handle and 4 is really too many).