Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 138274 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5014
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1185 on: July 24, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean.
There's several coworkers here that Still support Drumpf that I try to avoid despite what he's trying to do to the USPS ..

All I can recommend is continue biting your tongue as the job market is pretty bad right now. One rural carrier almost quit yesterday but knew he wouldn't be able to find another job with the pay he's making.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1186 on: July 24, 2020, 08:13:31 AM »
Just talked to a city carrier and he told me his vacation was canceled 2 days ago by the postmaster even though it was approved the end of last year before she even came here! He already paid $1500 nonrefundable for a hotel and was going to drive to New Jersey and stay a week but now he may lose that money if he doesn't go.
I told him to contact the city carrier union rep to discuss the matter and if I was him and just go on his vacation anyway then deal with the matter whenever he gets back. She can't cancel someone's vacation on such short notice like this but she's apparently tried this before with other carriers.
She's a frigging tyrant yelling at everybody from supervisors to carriers alike. I just try to stay out of her sight each and every day.
Oh and she seems adamant about not letting me accrue anymore eTravel as each day there's something that needs delivered, she'll send the other custodian instead of me ::)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1187 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »
So I got volunteered to oversee some flooring contractors putting new tile down at the small post office I used to work as a clerk..
Once again lack of communication is key to the postal organization ::)
It started with letting another clerk in so he could do the Saturday po box mail then these floor contractors show up shortly after.  The supervisor wasn't aware they were supposed to be here today so I had to contact the crazy postmaster and she said to stay here until they finish for today then I'll probably have to come in on Sunday to finish the job so my weekend is shot :grr: but it's time and a half pay for the time I'm here on Sunday so that makes up for it a bit..

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1188 on: July 26, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »
7 hours on Sunday (today) and the tile contractors still didn't finish!  :grr:
They fell short on materials and will have to come back either next weekend or whatever weekend after they receive the materials needed to finish the job. There's also some tile at the back entrance that they were not told about they may/may not get to. ::)
So there's a real possibility that next weekend or another weekend of mine could be screwed again to 'babysit' this crew till they finish this tile job :-[

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1189 on: August 01, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »
Looks like I'll be working a second Sunday tomorrow..
The floor crew was supposed to be finishing the tile replacement at 9am and were a no-show.. I had to call the contractor to find out where they were and they were broke down in the interstate but said they might still try to make it.. By 10:30am they contacted me saying they were getting towed back and will try to come up tomorrow between 8:30-9am to finish the job. We'll see ::)
They do good work (when they have the materials they need) but from what I've seen of their work ethics so far, I wouldn't hire them at all!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:29:01 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1190 on: August 02, 2020, 04:05:40 PM »
Looks like I'll be working a second Sunday tomorrow..
The floor crew was supposed to be finishing the tile replacement at 9am and were a no-show.. I had to call the contractor to find out where they were and they were broke down in the interstate but said they might still try to make it.. By 10:30am they contacted me saying they were getting towed back and will try to come up tomorrow between 8:30-9am to finish the job. We'll see ::)
They do good work (when they have the materials they need) but from what I've seen of their work ethics so far, I wouldn't hire them at all!
They Finished after working 7 hours today  :highfive:
I know they were hating it much more than I was driving an hour and a half to the job and all I did was hang out while watching them work earning time and a half pay for the day 8)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1191 on: September 10, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Been a minute since I posted any updates from work..
The new postmaster has continued to create havoc inside our post office, so much so that the city and rural union reps have been filing non-stop grievances the last couple of weeks against her. Found out that she had an assault and battery charge filed against her by a carrier she was postmaster of in Pennsylvania after she told them to go to her office and the carrier refused so she grabbed them trying to force the carrier into her office so the carrier filed a police report against the postmaster and apparently part of her plea agreement was to transfer out of state and we somehow end up with her. ::) Rumor has it that she's trying to leave our post office and transfer to the coast, possibly Wilmington NC but there's no one available to fill in as acting postmaster till a replacement is found. She refuses to replace clerks that have left/transferred/retired to the point that carriers have to make 2 or more trips to deliver mail and parcels. She claims there are too many clerks already and that they can get the job done with the 3 remaining clerks.. Christmas is coming and we're not even remotely close to being staffed to handle the onslaught of parcels that will soon arrive for the holidays!
My old arch nemesis, the dipshit manager that I had issues with has apparently taken 'stress leave' for the foreseeable future because the new postmaster pissed him off so he's out of the way possibly till he retires in April, 2021. He can dish out his anger to those he doesn't like but apparently can't take it - what a coward! "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold" >:D
Our post office apparently has the embarrassing distinction of being labeled the worst post office in our Mid-Carolina district because of those 2 :-[

The mail deliveries coming out of Charlotte are getting worse. Mail and parcels are getting mixed up for both post offices in town and it's up to the few remaining clerks to sort it all out. The truck driver that brings us our mail and parcels from Charlotte has been written up a few times already because he's trying to get all of our mail on his truck. He is supposed to close his trailer door by 5am and be on the road but waits to get as much as possible on his tractor trailer to avoid a turn-around truck bringing our mail as late as 10am.
When you think the post office can't get any more fucked up, somehow they find more ways to lower the bar even more :-[
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:18:00 AM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1192 on: September 11, 2020, 04:00:52 AM »
This morning I was ordered to throw away 3rd class packages that had bad mailing addresses on them. Retail ground, parcel select, media mail, etc. These are not returned to sender because 3rd class is considered one way postage. I was not happy about having to do this :-[
This is not a normal practice but may be a new trend to save the post office money so if you are trying to save on shipping costs, I recommend shipping Priority mail where you are at least paying for a return service if the mailing address is not correct.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1193 on: September 12, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
And I found out today that the postmaster has a class action grievance filed against her by both city and rural carrier unions for a hostile work environment :o
I think she's trying to get removed  ::)

She's going to be opening for the next month and we are so not looking forward to it :-[

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1194 on: October 02, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »
I've mentioned this before..
The only place where taking the initiative is fround upon and where slackers that do literally Nothing all day and still have a job is the USPS ::)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #1195 on: October 06, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
I think all gov't jobs are like that. I was one of the first people hired by the TSA in Wisconsin. The amount of waste and incomptence and managers doing things exclusively to make themselves seem important drove me nuts and I left the first chance I got.
Now that it's almost 20 years later, almost wish I'd stuck around because I'd soon be pension eligible, but just couldn't do it.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1196 on: October 23, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »
Now the postmaster is trying to get me to do Clerk work by sorting parcels which is a contract violation as custodial maintenance personnel are not allowed to perform job duties outside their craft. I worked over 2 hours sorting parcels yesterday with arthritis flaring up in my big toes; mostly my right big toe. She would have had me sort parcels today but luckily I had a foot doctor appointment. Had to get a Cortisone shot because it hurt so bad at the joint. I will be bringing in my doctor's note tomorrow that states "Patient may not complete tasks not listed on job description from 10/23/2020 to 01/15/2021".
She's not hiring any additional personnel for the Christmas rush apparently and rumor has it that she's going to try to eliminate 3 city routes which apparently would get her a big pay bonus by showing she can get more work done with fewer personnel. The only new city carrier quit this past Saturday and the only remaining Postal Support Employee (PSE) between all 3 post offices is getting run around like crazy (like I used to). He's hanging in there but I can tell he is definitely overworked already and Christmas is still 2 months away.
These are crazy times  :gouge: