login

Author Topic: What is/was wrong with John Williams?  (Read 7417 times)

Principal_Skin-trade

What is/was wrong with John Williams?
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »
What is the freaking deal with John Williams? I mean did he lose his talent somewhere between 1983 and 1999? He composed wondrous, beautiful scores for the likes of Dual, Superman, Close encounters, Empire strikes back, Raiders of the lost ark, Ect, ect... but I think it's funny how his LAME ASS original music for the phantom menace reflects the awfulness of the movie. What is the Dual of the fates?! It's basically "TUN TUN TUNNA TUN!!" over and over and over and it's no more exciting the 56th time than it was the first, unlike the music from Eps IV, V and VI, which are excellent from beginning to end with no question whatsoever of John Williams competence coming to mind. My point is do you think he purposely made a sucky ass score for Phantom Menace and Attack of the clones or was he truly trying his damndest? If he was the later than I am sorely disappointed because it is the most insipid, banal, hokey pile of dog shit ever... and I of course am ONLY referring to the original music he composed for Attack of the clones and Phantom Menace.... the music is just balls, it sucks them.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: What is/was wrong with John Williams?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:31:26 PM »
Although I'm fairly tone def , I didn't really think that the prequels had a bad sound to them?

(And for my fellow Minnesotan/Big Ten college fans (all none of you ;) ) Jonathan Williams "the basketball player" should show a noticeable improvement this year. Tubby Smith seems to think that we have good young talent so I'm hoping that he can start as a sophomore next year... John Williams is definitely the best basketball player ever to come from my small ass hometown... respect.)
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1177958)

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »
Although I'm fairly tone def , I didn't really think that the prequels had a bad sound to them?
Perhaps not bad but certainly not great or even good... at best, the score is mediocre. It's like John Williams(Composer) didn't even bother to put any effort into writing the score. It certainly doesn't remotely remind me of how great his older scores used to be. The man just completely ran out of creativity.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »
Why shouldn't he have phoned it in on Phantom Menace? Nearly everyone else did.

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »
Why shouldn't he have phoned it in on Phantom Menace? Nearly everyone else did.
What do you mean?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
^^^ the actors for one

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »
^^^ the actors for one
They all phoned in their performances? I think you're giving them too much credit... if they phoned in their performances then the acting in the films would have been much better.

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
I might be alone here, but I thought the music was wonderful, and definitely on par with what he's done with previous movies.  I thought the music was the best part of the so-called movie.

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »
I might be alone here, but I thought the music was wonderful, and definitely on par with what he's done with previous movies.  I thought the music was the best part of the so-called movie.
*shakes head until neck snaps* The musical score is lame-ass... take it from someone who has listened to John Williams' music since birth.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 01:59:47 AM »
yeah listened since birth and thus nostalgia clouds your vision  errr hearing.  duel of the fates is very good music.  sadly its in a terrible movie thus its hard to guage it accurately. 

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:31:55 AM »
yeah listened since birth and thus nostalgia clouds your vision
If you think I don't have the ability to separate my own judgement from nostalgia, then you are very wrong.
The score to all the prequels fucking sucks, I could have written it! And that is sad considering I have zero musical
talent but know enough about cliched musical phrases and classical music to put together some half-assed score
that sounds on the surface exciting but just beneath the surface is banality and insipidness to the 10th power.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:47 AM »
half-assed score that sounds on the surface exciting but just beneath the surface is banality and insipidness to the 10th power.

Seems like it fits the prequels completely then....do you think he should have done good music for these awful films?

Maybe he watched them, thought "these films suck" and decided not to bother putting much effort into it...and who could blame him..

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »
Seems like it fits the prequels completely then....do you think he should have done good music for these awful films?
Maybe he watched them, thought "these films suck" and decided not to bother putting much effort into it...and who could blame him..
That was what I said in my initial post! I postulated that perhaps he made the music suck on purpose for the first two sucky films and the last prequel... which was not as sucky.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 05:44:52 AM »
While i wouldn't call the music in episode one bad(Daul of the fates was grate it's just a shame nothing good was happen on screen so it felt out of place)if you listen closely to the two scores you can tell that a lot of episode one's music  was just lifted and slightly re-orchestrate  from The Last Crusade and Shindler's List scores.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
Frankly, I thought the new John Williams score was one of the (very) few high points of the prequels.

The real tragedy of the prequels is that so many talented people really did show up to work - it was just Lucas himself that pissed the whole thing away. The films just couldn't get past the fact that that one key person had lost his touch.