login

Author Topic: To comic fans, Whats your favorite.  (Read 28525 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: To comic fans, Whats your favorite.
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:41 AM »
The revelation that Elektra was a skrull and that perhaps the entire Civil War was orchestrated by skrulls to soften up Earth for invasion had me intrigued.  I wasn't into Doc Strange until TNA so I am totally interested in that new DVD he's in.  All the craziness in the Marvel realm has actually just been like a hot poker in my eye.  First they zap Cap, and then Spidey revels his secret identity.  Unless Marvel is going for a reinvention of superheroes as I know them, I don't see how they are going to make things right with that stuff.  That being said, I'll always have backissues!

Dr Strange is acting awfully weird in New Avengers, though. I wouldn't be surpised if he turns out to have a wrinkly green chin. I liked the recent Wizard article handicapping who might be a Skrull. But Wizard based all their specualtion on the assumption that Marvel actually planned this out, and isn't just back-pedaling, trying to dig out the continuity hole they dug. Although, Skrulls have made important appearances in Young Avengers and Runaways. Hey, maybe I'm a Skrull...

Offline Mr. 420

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • And thats when Lincoln said "Don't diss my homies"
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »
I am slowly getting back into comics since playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance...I was always a big Punisher fan especially the 10 armory issues and the final countdown...must say I haven't seen or heard of anything from him since then(besides that embarrassing run in with Travolta) but thats also when I sort of "gave up" on comics...also I used to love the what if? series....also batman and spidey
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

Offline optimus357

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »
Yeah Ultimate Alliance did a great job of putting all the best guys all in one game.  I might be an idiot but I could almost throw Cap's in game shield all day long.  I was surprised that Punisher didn't make an appearance but I suppose he was busy shooting rocket launchers through windows while rappelling down the side of an apartment building.  I think he has at least 1 ongoing series with Marvel, if not 2!  And for my final piece, I was wondering why everyone is so concerned that everyone else might be a skrull.  I didn't think they could just adopt super powers like they do shape, so I don't see why Luke Cage is hassling Spidey about being one.  And! And!  I didn't think about Doc being a skrull cause I just had some inherent trust for him. 

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
The revelation that Elektra was a skrull and that perhaps the entire Civil War was orchestrated by skrulls to soften up Earth for invasion had me intrigued.  I wasn't into Doc Strange until TNA so I am totally interested in that new DVD he's in.  All the craziness in the Marvel realm has actually just been like a hot poker in my eye.  First they zap Cap, and then Spidey revels his secret identity.  Unless Marvel is going for a reinvention of superheroes as I know them, I don't see how they are going to make things right with that stuff.  That being said, I'll always have backissues!

Dr Strange is acting awfully weird in New Avengers, though. I wouldn't be surpised if he turns out to have a wrinkly green chin. I liked the recent Wizard article handicapping who might be a Skrull. But Wizard based all their specualtion on the assumption that Marvel actually planned this out, and isn't just back-pedaling, trying to dig out the continuity hole they dug. Although, Skrulls have made important appearances in Young Avengers and Runaways. Hey, maybe I'm a Skrull...

Oh, Marvel had better NOT back out on this one. Yeah, they've made a lot of changes that would be hard to write their way out of, but I think that's a good thing. It's too much to hope that Captain America will stay dead (nothing against Cap. I love Cap. But I hate it when characters get constantly killed and brought back), but if Marvel backs out of all the big changes brought about from the last few major storylines using Skrulls or time travel or other dimensions or what not, they're losing a reader. Don't mess up a universe unless you intend to let that universe stay messed up.

Offline optimus357

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
I sort of thought of it as like skrulls lit the spark on the whole Civil War and what we saw is was the actual fire.  Less of a back out and more of a twist.  How lame is it that Captain America dies by a sniper.  I mean you can kill anyone with a sniper.  That isn't even a fight.  The only one who might be immune to that is Spidey or the bulletproof crowd.  Even so, how dare they kill my boy and then use the excuse that, "uhhh the story sort of leads us to where we are going next".  I don't see at all how Civil War = Captain America gets sniped in an elaborate plot by the Red Skull.  I agree characters should stay dead, but let's just revive this last one really quick for me please!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:55 PM »
How lame is it that Captain America dies by a sniper.  I mean you can kill anyone with a sniper.  That isn't even a fight.  The only one who might be immune to that is Spidey or the bulletproof crowd.  Even so, how dare they kill my boy and then use the excuse that, "uhhh the story sort of leads us to where we are going next".  I don't see at all how Civil War = Captain America gets sniped in an elaborate plot by the Red Skull.  I agree characters should stay dead, but let's just revive this last one really quick for me please!

I love Cap, and I'm pissed that he's dead, but I do have to admit that he went out brilliantly. Taking a bullet while trying to protect people is how he'd want to die, for what that's worth.

I am slowly getting back into comics since playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance...I was always a big Punisher fan especially the 10 armory issues and the final countdown...must say I haven't seen or heard of anything from him since then(besides that embarrassing run in with Travolta) but thats also when I sort of "gave up" on comics...also I used to love the what if? series....also batman and spidey

Frank's got two ongoing's right now - the superviolent Punisher under the MAX mature readers imprint, and the almost too entertaining Punisher War Journal, which is set firmly in the Marvel U proper.

Offline optimus357

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »
I keep seeing confusing images of him on Marvel.com with some sort of crazy get up on.  Something about Flag Smasher?

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2007, 02:12:41 AM »
I keep seeing confusing images of him on Marvel.com with some sort of crazy get up on.  Something about Flag Smasher?

I haven't read it yet, but from what I understand, some bad guy was dressed up like Cap, so Frank riddled him with bullets and decided to incorporate some of Cap's costume elements in honor of one of the few heroes he respected. It looks pretty damn goofy, which is how I like my Punisher.

By the way, I'm putting my prediction down in writing right now: By the end of Alex Ross's upcoming Avengers/Invaders mini, we'll have Cap back in the Marvel U, but it'll be Golden Age Cap, fresh from the '40s, with no memory of his time since being frozen - because he won't ever have been frozen. Ah, sweet time travel. Marvel's gotten some decent man-out-of-time stuff from Ultimate Cap, so they're gonna try to freshen up regular Cap in a similar manner. Hopefully without the Ultimate asshole stuff, though. Reboot!

Offline optimus357

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2007, 02:23:50 AM »
I've been wracking my brain thinking of the classiest way to bring him back and my friend, you've done it for me!  If they did that he would have to refriend his old friends and things would get really hairy, but the alternative would be for me to just let my inner child die, and that would be cruel.  I thought the Ultimate Avengers animated movie was pretty good but mostly because it had some cool fighting and a lot of Cap goings on.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2007, 06:46:52 AM »
The Ultimate Avengers movie has its good points - a much better reason for Banner to become the Hulk again again being the biggest, but it's like the animators and voice actors were competing to see who can give a more wooden performance. And Olivia D'abo's Russian accent makes my skin crawl, like she just got back from chasing mooze unt skvirrel. And the Black Panther one? Meh. He magically transforms into a half-panther creature? Way to cheapen the character. I haven't bothered with the Iron man one yet, but I have high hopes for the newly released Dr Strange movie.

I really hope I'm close to the mark. That's the vibe I get from this project. What better way to sneak Cap back in than with fanboy-beloved Alex Ross? A Marvel U without Captain America is all kinds of wrong. By the way, in my book, the only hero that could legitimately carry Cap's shield - Luke Cage. Think about it.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2007, 07:37:28 AM »
The Inferior Five

The Rocketeer

Both of those are great choices - Dumb Bunny is hilariously bad.  I've always been a fan of the AirBoy and Valkyrie stuff. 
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
I haven't bothered with the Iron man one yet, but I have high hopes for the newly released Dr Strange movie.

I really hope I'm close to the mark. That's the vibe I get from this project. What better way to sneak Cap back in than with fanboy-beloved Alex Ross? A Marvel U without Captain America is all kinds of wrong. By the way, in my book, the only hero that could legitimately carry Cap's shield - Luke Cage. Think about it.

This probably belongs in the movie section, but I've gotta say I'm liking the Dr.Strange movie better than the Iron Man one so far (we haven't finished it yet).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't wait for Strange to start making his signs of the devil hands and whipping demon ass all over the place.

And I also agree about Luke Cage. I thought about it and I'm coming up short for anyone else but him. Although what would stop Marvel from using a female character to shake things up a bit?

Offline optimus357

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
Luke Cage has been winning points with me but I don't think he has quite the same kind of unshakeable character as Cap.  However the Falcon seems like he and Cap were kindred spirits, though I must admit, my knowledge of him is lacking.  Well it doesn't matter anyway cause Bucky stole the shield and he ain't gonna give it back!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 01:29:50 AM »
Luke Cage has been winning points with me but I don't think he has quite the same kind of unshakeable character as Cap.  However the Falcon seems like he and Cap were kindred spirits, though I must admit, my knowledge of him is lacking.  Well it doesn't matter anyway cause Bucky stole the shield and he ain't gonna give it back!

My argument for Cage is that he's the most stands-up-for-what-he-believes, does-what-he-knows-is-right-no-matter-the-cost, won't-take-shit-from-nobody, can-kick-you-ass-just-by-looking-at-you-sideways guy in the whole Marvel Universe, which, to me, embodies the spirit of Captain America better than anybody. Yeah, the Falcon and Cap were good friends and partners, but that worked mostly because Falcon provided Cap with a different viewpoint, sort of like Cage and Iron Fist in Heroes For Hire or Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Also, let's face it, Falcon's lame - always has been, always will be. It's sad but true, whereas Luke Cage is one of Marvel's premier characters right now, with a John Singleton movie in the wings and everything.

And I also agree about Luke Cage. I thought about it and I'm coming up short for anyone else but him. Although what would stop Marvel from using a female character to shake things up a bit?

I don't see any problem with a female Captain America, but I can't think of anyone who really fits the bill. Plus, it would reek of publicity stunt. So would a black Cap, but they already did that with Isaiah Bradley in Truth: Red, White & Black.

Y'know, I'm a little afraid that if my prediction about Golden Age Cap is true, that he'll come back and be all "Negro superheroes? Golly! Could you go make me a sandwich, Ms Marvel?"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:33:31 AM by Sharktopus »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
Y'know, I'm a little afraid that if my prediction about Golden Age Cap is true, that he'll come back and be all "Negro superheroes? Golly! Could you go make me a sandwich, Ms Marvel?"

That would get my vote as the most awesome comicbook scene in history. Especially when Ms.Marvel grabs the back of his head and smashes it into the wall. He'd only have to say something like that once. He'd be tough enough to survive with the knowledge that he shouldn't do it a second time.