login

Author Topic: I wish they made cartoons like they used to  (Read 9211 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: I wish they made cartoons like they used to
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »
From http://community.livejournal.com/scifhaiku/29056.html:

Bugs Bunny in drag
my childhood erotica
don't tell mom, okay?

someone failed english class. A haiku is 5-7-5; that's 5-8-5

Kindly check your American Heritage Dictionary, as I did before writing the above haiku. "Child" is considered one syllable. So there. Nyah.
child is one syllable? not here in minnesota, that's for sure.

There are, admittedly, different interpretations on it (I do live in the South, where people love to drag out syllables), but most of the reference stuff I looked at indicated one syllable. I'm not kidding, BTW; I really did sweat the issue before I posted the haiku. I was a tad obsessed for a while there.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Watch out for snakes!
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »

Bugs Bunny in drag
my childhood erotica
don't tell mom, okay?

Kindly check your American Heritage Dictionary, as I did before writing the above haiku. "Child" is considered one syllable. So there. Nyah.

There are, admittedly, different interpretations on it (I do live in the South, where people love to drag out syllables), but most of the reference stuff I looked at indicated one syllable. I'm not kidding, BTW; I really did sweat the issue before I posted the haiku. I was a tad obsessed for a while there.

idk, it's not like we draw the 'i' out; it's like chi' uld. Two distict syllables. But I guess I'm not gonna argue with the AHD...bigger nerds than me right there.
there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

Bugs Bunny in drag
my childhood erotica
don't tell mom, okay?

idk, it's not like we draw the 'i' out; it's like chi' uld. Two distict syllables. But I guess I'm not gonna argue with the AHD...bigger nerds than me right there.

I take that as the highest compliment possible.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2007, 11:51:45 PM »
5. Futurama--hilarious, so long as Al Gore's daughter isn't given free reign in the writer's room

Wow, that shows an unbelievable amount of baseless political bias. Kristin Gore's credited with contributing to 37 episodes of Futurama. Please point out which ones were adversely affected by her dad being a politician you disagree with.
Unbelievable?  Believe it.  I believe we're all entitled to our opinions and can hopefully express them without flaming each other.

Baseless?  Do you recall the fawning over Al?  From the Futurama into to "An Inconvenient Truth" to Al Gore's head getting a wildly enthusiastic reception ("I have ridden the purple space worm of Neptune"  Note: quote is from memory and may not be word for word) to his guest spot with his 'action nerds' space-time continuum defending squad.

Political Bias?  Sure, I'm a Republican and I'm not ashamed about it.  Frankly, I don't want any cartoon I watch to have a political agenda, for either side.  It ruins the entertainment.

Past that, I really don't have the time to cross reference and index which episodes Kristen Gore had writing credits that I found objectionable.  I have better uses for my time.  :-)

With apologies towards msmpls, I agree, politics don't belong in a cartoon thread.  I'll try to do better.

one more and this thread is locked.
get your damn politics out of my cartoon thread!!!!!

I'd just like to point out that Al Gore's line was "I HAVE RIDDEN THE MIGHTY MOON WORM!" and is hilarious. What that has to do with 21st century American politics is beyond me. That is all.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2007, 06:51:20 AM »
And here is an interesting fact.  Rob Paulsen who plays the voice of Pinky is also the voice of Arthur in the Tick.

Actually, Rob Paulsen took over the role of Arthur after the second season, when the original Arthur, Mickey Dolenz (yes, of The Monkees!) left.

I thought he wrote Hatchet.    :rimshot:
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2987
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2007, 02:52:40 AM »
I think my favorite non-Bugs Looney Tune was "A Bear for Punishment." That's where it's the three bears and it's Father's Day. :^)