login

Author Topic: I wish they made cartoons like they used to  (Read 9385 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: I wish they made cartoons like they used to
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »
I haven't seen any of the more maturified Ren and Stimpy eps aside form the clips available on Youtube and the very first Spike TV eps --

what is the consensus everyone? Better or worse?

Worse BY FAR!!

After John K. got the boot, the show went quickly down hill, and once he returned on Spike TV, all his brilliance from the original show was nowhere to be found. It sucked.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »

At the risk of being sent to the corner for a blasphemy time-out...

I always thought the original John K. run with Ren & Stimpy was only slightly more consistent then the output immediately after he left. (This is in regards to the original Nickelodeon days... as I never watched the Spike version.). I loved the show... but after watching a lot of the first ones on DVD, I was left with a distinct "hit or miss" vibe from segment to segment.

I guess back when they first aired, the ones I thought were great stuck with me and I just sorta forgot the rest. At this point I consider early R&S a good show with flashes of brilliance as opposed to outright brilliance.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3154
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
I'm gonna say the "Adult" Ren and Stimpy episodes are good, but there's something that gets lost when the show isn't "Getting away" with things. When the show is ALLOWED to do what they do, it loses the subversive edge somehow.

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
Is that out on DVD yet?

I could have sworn I have seen it, but checking Amazon.com has revealed that only Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain are on DVD right now.
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3154
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »
It's under serious consideration. There was a poll a while back about which properties should be released on DVD and Freakazoid was up there, Don't know what happened with the poll but I can't imagine anyone not wanting it on DVD. :^)

I'd like to see Tazmania, myself. That show had some kickin' writing. :^)

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
[yt=425,350]_haRIsvqvG4[/yt]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:05:18 PM by Wiseblood »

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 01:36:12 PM »
I'm gonna say the "Adult" Ren and Stimpy episodes are good, but there's something that gets lost when the show isn't "Getting away" with things. When the show is ALLOWED to do what they do, it loses the subversive edge somehow.

Have you seen the John K. cartoon versions of "The Flintstones" and "Yogi the Bear"?  He did a one-shot for each of them and they are SO fantastic.  BooBoo reverts to his ferral "real" bear self and starts drooling and pissing everywhere, and then has crazy bear-sex with Yogi's girlfriend, and Fred and Wilma have a rift in their relationship when they become attracted to other people on a retreat - it's messed up haha.

So, yes you've got something there when you say 'subversive edge.'
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 02:31:48 PM »
That Turbo-Teen show...could he turn back into a human? And it seems awkward to have someone drive you.....*insert stick shift/penis joke here*
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 02:51:57 PM »
That Turbo-Teen show...could he turn back into a human? And it seems awkward to have someone drive you.....*insert stick shift/penis joke here*

If I remember correctly, and my memory is very spotty here, as I was a youngster when this show aired, the guy would turn into a car if  something cold came in contact with him(for instance, should someone accidentally drop a cone of ice cream on him), and back again when something hot touched him.

It was very hard to convince people this show even existed when I explained the process of the man transforming into the car...

They all looked at me as if I was insane.   ;)

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Ah its nice to know that there are people here who love Freakazoid as much as i do.  I really would love to see that and Eek the Cat on DVD. One other from the early 90's that i havent seen posted on here was Life with Louie.  I always loved how his mom would say "You can never have enough sweet potatoes"  I guess Louie Anderson said its in the works to have the show released to dvd so ill just have to wait and see what happens

I posted this on this fourm earlier but this is the news articel from tvshowsondvd.com about shows you'd want Warner Brothers to release

http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php/topic,3085.0.html

Another show ive wanted to watch again but havent been able to find is Plastic Man. I remember sneaking over to my friends house who had cable so we could watch it on Cartoon Network. 

It's been really nice that they finally have started to put these shows on DVD.  I have all of the Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs DVD's that they have released so far, and they are working on the 2nd season of The Tick which will be released in August, but i guess that again one of the episodes wont be in the disk due to some issue.  And here is an interesting fact.  Rob Paulsen who plays the voice of Pinky is also the voice of Arthur in the Tick.  I never knew that untill i saw an interview with him and his voice sounded so familiar to me.  Ah i love cartoons, it'll be nice when i have kids and can show them this stuff that i liked when i was their age.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
I haven't seen any of the more maturified Ren and Stimpy eps aside form the clips available on Youtube and the very first Spike TV eps --

what is the consensus everyone? Better or worse?

Better - when the networks let John K. do whatever the hell he wants to do, he's brilliant. Ren & Stimpy was nowhere nearly as funny castrated (John K. heading the show with little freedom) or mutilated (when that unfunny eediot who replaced John was running things) as it was without censorship. Adult Party Cartoon is Ren & Stimpy in it's true form, the Spumco-produced Nickelodeon episodes are Ren & Stimpy watered down, and the post-Spumco Nick episodes are like trying to fuck mud.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:46:21 PM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Axeman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Axemans 3D Homepage
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
Ren & Stimpy are pure class, but I never made any distinction between their various runs.  Like Monty Python and many other amazing comedy shows it was always hit and miss, as is the way when you start pushing boundaries.  It had flashes of comedy genius and then the next thing it's kicking some unfunny joke to death on the carpet in front of you.  It's strange that probably their biggest moment was as stand-ins for Itchy & Scratchy on the episode of The Simpsons where Bart goes and gets a 'big brother' .  Like Itchy & Scratchy, R&S were crazy cartoons distilled down to the purest essence, the bits the kids wanted to see and nothing extraneous.  Idiots, explosives and falling anvils.
www.axeman3d.com for all your poor-qaulity CGI model needs.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 04:35:03 AM »
5. Futurama--hilarious, so long as Al Gore's daughter isn't given free reign in the writer's room

Wow, that shows an unbelievable amount of baseless political bias. Kristin Gore's credited with contributing to 37 episodes of Futurama. Please point out which ones were adversely affected by her dad being a politician you disagree with.

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Watch out for snakes!
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
5. Futurama--hilarious, so long as Al Gore's daughter isn't given free reign in the writer's room

Wow, that shows an unbelievable amount of baseless political bias. Kristin Gore's credited with contributing to 37 episodes of Futurama. Please point out which ones were adversely affected by her dad being a politician you disagree with.
keep your politics out of my cartoons thread.
there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »
[yt=425,350]_haRIsvqvG4[/yt]

I remember seeing this show and always thinking during the introduction, "Man, his ass gets HUUUUGE."

Has anyone mentioned M.A.S.K., the Mobile Armored Strike Kommand, featuring Matt Trakker and Bruce Saito, and how they took on V.E.N.O.M.?

Cause, that was awesome.  Sly Rax 4-Eva.