login

Author Topic: I wish they made cartoons like they used to  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: I wish they made cartoons like they used to
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »

How could I forget?

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 06:51:16 AM »
Most of you are making me feel rather old. Anyone remember Dungeons & Dragons? Thundercats? Visionaries? Ulysses 31? Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors? MASK? Pole Position?

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 07:07:24 AM »

How could I forget?

I don't know how you did, but I wish I could.
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 08:03:11 AM »
Somebody already hit on Freakazoid... I remember watching that when it first came out... I was 20 or 21 at the time and I was thinking "If I'm getting all these jokes and references than the 12 year olds are lost... this will never last." Of course, it went on to do a respectable run... as did Animaniacs and Pinky... which were all seemingly aimed at adults as much as kids. No matter how hung over my hard drinking college student self was back then... I almost always found a way to roll out of bed on Saturday mornings to catch my favorites from the KidsWB lineup.

Then there are the batch of shows I consider "guilty pleasures" now but thought were awesome as a kid... Without the nostalgia effect, it's hard to ignore how awful they are. I'm not saying they aren't still an enjoyable watch... but stuff like Voltron and Thundercats is just dreck... awful awful dreck. If you can say otherwise without wearing your rose-tinted glasses, you are a better person than I.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 08:17:03 AM »
Your totally right, I'll probably never watch an episode of any of my old favourites from the 80s because I just know they're going to be nowhere near as good as I thought they were.

They had some awesome theme tunes though

[yt=425,350]OGMIgbkimtI[/yt]

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
I'll see your Rescue Rangers and raise you a Darkwing Duck.

Voltron and Transformers are also great.   Anyone remember Dangermouse?

I have the entire series on DVD (6 discs).

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 08:50:52 AM »
My favorites as a kid were always the Max Fleischer 'toons - and these continue to be my favorites today. I loved black and white movies and animation as a kid. Fleischer's stuff was always so freaking great. Cartoons were so much more fun before the Hays Code.

Ah that's how you spell it.  I was going to put his name up there when I posted about Superman.. i before e...   

Some bijoux theaters around here often show clusters of some pretty amazing cartoons - like early Tex Avery and Popeye's that have some CRAZY bad language.  I mean, Popeye said stuff that you'd get sued for today. 

.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Hebs

• Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 08:55:09 AM »
Somebody already hit on Freakazoid... I remember watching that when it first came out...

!!
My face just lit up - thank you for mentioning that one - what fantastic memories come back.
Freaka me, Freaka youuu
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 08:57:03 AM »
Is that out on DVD yet?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »
But nothing beats the Looney Tunes and Ren and Stimpy

QFT

These are essentials.

Just think, if there were no Looney Tunes, there'd be no Ren and Stimpy. If there were no Ren and Stimpy, there'd be no Adult Swim anything!!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »
I'll see your Rescue Rangers and raise you a Darkwing Duck.

Voltron and Transformers are also great.   Anyone remember Dangermouse?

Dangermouse, and Penfold! 

Darkwing Duck was great.  That and DuckTales.  And Gummi Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere.  I wasn't that high on the rest of the Disney Afternoon cartoons. 

I also just bought the Droopy theatrical collection.  "I sure do hate to do this, but it's the laaaaaaaaaaw of the West." 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 10:02:51 AM »
Oh yeah! Forgot to give props to Thames with Dangermouse, Duckula, and the short Bananaman series. :^)

"He has the strength of 20 men!"
"20 BIG men!"

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
I haven't seen any of the more maturified Ren and Stimpy eps aside form the clips available on Youtube and the very first Spike TV eps --

what is the consensus everyone? Better or worse?

POWDER!!
TOAST!!
MAAAAAAAAN!!!!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Watch out for snakes!
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
My favorites as a kid were always the Max Fleischer 'toons - and these continue to be my favorites today. I loved black and white movies and animation as a kid. Fleischer's stuff was always so freaking great. Cartoons were so much more fun before the Hays Code.

Ah that's how you spell it.  I was going to put his name up there when I posted about Superman.. i before e...   

Some bijoux theaters around here often show clusters of some pretty amazing cartoons - like early Tex Avery and Popeye's that have some CRAZY bad language.  I mean, Popeye said stuff that you'd get sued for today. 

my boyfriend and I go watch classic cartoons every saturday morning at a really cool old dinner theatre here in Minneapolis. It's different every week but they usually throw in a few Ren and Stimpys, some Dudley Do-Right (which the bf gets a kick out of being Canadian and all) Rocky and Bullwinkle, old Merry Melodies, Popeye, et al. It's crazy to see what they used to get away with...

Does anyone remember the old cold war propaganda cartoon "Gremlins from the Kremlin"?
there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
I'm a little in awe of Packy's post.  Here's a list of cartoons I loved:
1. Loony toons--uncut with explosives, shotguns, maimed Daffy and opera.  The best cartoons ever made
2. Thundarr and the Herculon's--oh, so very non-PC  MAYBE adult swim could pull this off today. MAYBE.
3. Batman the Animated series--Stylish (in a good way), character driven, action-packed and as realistic as you can ask for.  Better than the comics
4. South Park--outrageous and funny
5. Futurama--hilarious, so long as Al Gore's daughter isn't given free reign in the writer's room
6. Venture Bros AND Johnny Quest--You need to see both to appreciate them fully.  Though second season Venture had some rough episodes.