login

Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 34031 times)

MightyJack

Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
I've posted my review here... Mighty Jack's X-Men Review

Not the strongest effort but I enjoyed it.

As a comic book/movie fan, I loved the Hulk, liked the dirtectors cut of Daredevil, but wouldn't mind a riffing for either. Course if they really want to do a Superhero flick, Supergirl would be a kick because it's like some drug fueled trainwreck.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »
Course if they really want to do a Superhero flick, Supergirl would be a kick because it's like some drug fueled trainwreck.

That for sure. That was even worse then Superman 4.

Offline Ivan Druzhkov

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2006, 12:03:28 PM »
Well, I enjoyed it, but for some reason I kept having problems with the copy of X-Men 1.5 I bought for this Rifftrax.  For some reason, the DVD kept freezing and refusing to skip to the next chapter.  For the record, I was running the Rifftrax in Media Player and the DVD on Nero Showtime, which came with my PC.  I don't know if it's a problem with the DVD or my machine, but I'll try and check it out this week.

I rather enjoyed the riffing, probably because I'm not as emotionally involved with the Marvel Universe as I am with Star Trek.  I do think the concentration camp scenes at the beginning were handled well by Mike and Bill.  It was funny, but not tasteless.

I do feel I must correct Mike on one matter though.  Patrick Stewart didn't sacrifice his credibility as an actor when he appeared in X-Men.  That actually came about 3-4 years later, when he took on the recurring role as CIA Director Bullock on Seth MacFarlane's American Dad.  Compared to that, X-Men is King Frickin' Lear.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 12:08:04 PM »
I really liked in the beginning when Bill said, "Why don't just we riff over the bus crash in The Sweet Hearafter?"

I felt A few of Bill's riffs were a little more on the edgier side, which is a nice compliment to Mike, who normally wont get too harsh or graphic...but it's a place that Bill doesn't have a problem going to.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Heysie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Meowsdower
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 12:22:05 PM »
I agree it was a treat hearing Bill's voice riffing, but I thought this was the weakest Rifftrax. I don't mean to be negative, because I still loved watching it, but I think the others so far have been funnier. It just seemed like the jokes weren't as clever as usual, and I'm getting a little tired of bald jokes. The wolverine stuff was the best material, and the making fun of his muttonchops, but it didn't really carry the movie.  I thought it was a little too mean saying Patrick Stewart sacrificed his dignity, because too many people wouldn't agree, and he does a fine job with the weird role.

I'm not a comics fan or an X-Men fan, but it didn't seem like a horribly-made movie, and that may have been part of the problem. A lot of people really like the movie. It has 80% on Rotten Tomatoes. However, a few other riffed titles don't have super bad Tomato readings--Fifth Element has an astonishing 68%, whereas I found it to be roughly on a par with Space Mutiny.  Top Gun and Road House are not abysmally low on the Tomato reading either. So I guess whether a movie is bad enough to riff actually is a pretty subjective judgement. Still, there are soooooooo many movies that a majority of people find awful, it seems best (funniest) to stick with those.

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
so in other words, they cant all be winners.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2006, 08:19:14 PM »
No they can all be....and X-men is a winner. I love it. Hate if you want to haters but it was a great addition to rifftrax.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »
Oh my GOD!!! They put in a Toad the Wet Sprocket reference!!! They are my favorite band of all time!!!!!! No freakin' way!!!!!!  I can die now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

I'm so glad Mr. Corbett came aboard. Can't wait to have him back for a second round! Same goes for Mr. Murphy. It may not be the funniest Rifftrak, it may not be non-stop rib-hurting laughs, but it's Mike and Bill doing what they do best. And it's new. And there's more coming...

It just keeps getting better and better...

Now I am compelled to say it...

Hello. My name is Kodiakthejuggler, and I'm a Riffaholic.

Well, Cerebro, I guess.  ;)

Offline laivine

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Trouble in a '67 Chevy Impala
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
It was interesting to listen to this as a person who went to see this movie 5 times in the theatre almost solely on the basis of Hugh Jackman's performance.  Yeah.  I did.  I was a rabid fangirl who completely bought into Wolverine's angst and mysterious backstory...but the "obsession" weakened with the second movie and mostly died out by the third.  And I still found this very funny, laugh-out-loud, completely worth the money, just fun spending time with Mike and Bill, laughing at Storm and the ludicrous aspects of the film. 

So, while I've figured out I can still have a lot of fun watching a movie I, subjectively, think is pretty good get riffed, I agree that it's much more fun when I don't have some kind of baseline investment. 
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »

I give this one a definate 8 out of 10. I love the movie. I love Mike and crew. I love riffing. I love Mike and crew riffing a movie I love. It all works.

I'll agree that some of the jokes got a little tiresome after a while (although I refer mostly to the bald jokes. The Magneto/Cerebro thing was funny every time in my opinion).

Best of all, this was a movie we didn't have to buy/rent to get. We already had it! Bonus.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2006, 01:13:23 PM »
You know, through out the MST3K run and then on to Rifftraxx, there are a TON of bald jokes that they often run into the ground.  In Star Trek V there was the troll-ish henchman of Sybock that couldn't appear on the screen without a bald joke, for example.  I recently watched a bunch of MST3K eps in a row, (like a hundred over the course of a week) and had a real blast but some of the bald jokes just got out of hand.

I don't know.  I just don't think that's a well they should keep dipping into.  I'm not bald, but, you know, some people just can't help it and some people just look good bald.  I just don't think it's a physical trait that's fun to riff on over and over again.  Afterall, isn't Bill Corbett balding?

Just an observation.  It certainly doesn't ruin my enjoyment of any of the work, past or present.  I just tend to roll my eyes after the 30th bald joke in a two hour movie.  Anybody else notice this?
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline MikeLynch

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Rice... chicken... *labored sigh* Onions...
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
I think bald jokes are persistently funny because men worry so much about their hair. As someone smarter than me undoubtedly once said, the best comedy comes from pain.

And I say that as one who takes pride in his hair, but is also keenly aware that it's on its way out.
Don't forget your beans / And celery

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2006, 02:29:06 AM »
I'd say that X-Men was my least favorite with Fifth Element being a close second.    I don't think it was a BAD track by any means, there were a few laugh out loud lines, it just seemed like the movie did not give them a lot of material to work with.  I'm glad we'll get another collaboration with Bill soon because it was great to hear him again.  I think X-Men was tough partly because it's a pretty good film as superhero movies go.  I'm sure outright bad movies are easier to write riffs for, but there are plenty of well-loved movies that would lend themselves perfectly for riffing.  How bout the original Star Wars (Episode IV)?  As much as I still love it, it's a riffing gold mine.  I'd gladly pay FIVE dollars to hear Mike, Bill and Kevin have a go at that.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:32 AM »

If the art of riffing has taught me anything, it's that all humor has exactly 4 sources, and balding is one of them.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2006, 09:55:39 AM »
Personally i really wish Mike would stick to the worst movies he get his hands on. I mean for me the best Rifftrax have been Road House and Crossroads. They also so happen to be the worst movies that mike has done so far. In other words, the worst the movie the better the Rifftrax.