Author Topic: Censored??  (Read 162 times)

Offline slovey

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Censored??
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:53:27 PM »
Why are some movies censored? For example, in "Amanda and the Alien" a number of characters say the word "f*ck" and it is always dubbed with silence.  I believe the movie was made for TV, but they would not have included this word in the script if that was the case (why shoot it with profanity just to dub it later?!?).  And, I didn't think that Rifftrax censored the movie.s they record over (other movies include profanity and nudity).

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Censored??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
It was made for Showtime so the swears and everything were there. RiffTrax does in fact edit VOD releases for content all the time.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline slovey

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »
Why does Rifftrax edit their VOD offerings for content?  What type of content?

The editing seems selective in that I have seen Rifftrax movies with nudity and harsh profanity.  In fact, I have seen almost all of the Rifftrax movies (I am not including Riffs only in this conversation for obvious reasons) and I can only think of one other movie (Space Mutiny Live) in which there was obvious editing.

slovey

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
Sometimes its violence or sometimes it is sections of the movie that might be too slow or boring for riffing. Pretty much every VOD released in the last couple of years have some kind of editing.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3320
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
Compare the VOD runtimes with the original movie runtimes. Sometimes it's quite a lot that is cut out.
FINE

Offline slovey

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
I am not trying to be difficult, but some of this editing doesn't make sense to me.  The three issues raised are profanity, violence and dead space (slow/boring) in the movies.

1)  Profanity:   I am not sure who dubbed over the word f**k in "Amanda and the Alien".  If it originally aired on Showtime, they would not have edited it.  And, it makes no sense that Rifftrax would edit it out since other VOD's (ex: Mind Ripper) have the F-word unedited. The only thing that makes sense is the movie was re-broadcast on another channel that dubbed the cussing, and Rifftrax used that copy.

2)  Violence:  What violence would Rifftrax edited out, and why?  Can anyone provide a specific example in any movie?

3)  Slow/Boring:  The first two movies that come to mind when I think of nothing happening are "Birdemic" and "Rock-n-Roll Nightmare". Both have long, boring intros.  Neither is cut short.  "Birdemic" runtime is exactly the same, and "Rock-n-Roll Nightmare" is 7 minutes longer on Rifftrax.  If those movies aren't edited for boring scenes then what movies are? Any specific examples?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3320
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
The individual release forums often have people post what was cut - I am supportive of any edits that makes it easier for them to make a good product. Mystery Science Theatre was no different.
FINE