Author Topic: Submit your lists for LoC #127 Top 50 Novels!  (Read 1683 times)

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 468
Re: Submit your lists for LoC #127 Top 50 Novels!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
Most graphic novels began as multi issue comic books. But to be fair, many traditional novels began as serialized stories in magazines which printed one chapter per issue before being compiled into a single book.

That's true, I didn't think of that, but yeah some of my favorite novels were serialized first in newspapers and such.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »

I'll allow The Life and Times of the Schmoo, if for no other reason than because I'd rather get as close to a full list as possible.

I was trying to keep that book title a spoiler because I usually don't want to influence anyone else lists by mentioning titles they didn't think of.  But now that the cat's out of the bag, yea, The Life and Times of the Shmoo is one of the three graphic novels I have read. My father bough the first printing of it when he was a kid, managed to hold onto it, and I ended up inheriting it. Still have it somewhere. So basically I have a graphic novel frim 1948. Probably not worth much as the book is still being reprinted to this day.

I also bought and read a photonovel, which is basically a book with a series of photographs with comic book captions attached. Think of the foto funnies in National Lampoon. Only, I would not add the photonovel I read to my list because it was the pilot episode of the 1970s Battlestar Galactica and not an original work. I have no idea if any original photonovels were ever made. The ones I have seen so far were all stills from movies or television shows. But publishers insist on releasing them as photonovels.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1176
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
We're up to 4 lists, including my own. Nearly 100 unique entries... At this rate, the list is going to consist of everyone's 5-7 favorite books  :o

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7355
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
i'm really annoyed, because i'm trying to remember the name & author of a book, but it's in a box, in a closet, 8000 km away. google is really not helping.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3088
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 10:06:48 AM »
i'm really annoyed, because i'm trying to remember the name & author of a book, but it's in a box, in a closet, 8000 km away. google is really not helping.

That might take a while, several years ago I was trying to remember a book I read as a teenager, I could remember the picture on the cover and all of the plot details, but not the author or the title.  Every few days I'd try various searches with different descriptions of the plot or the cover, took a few weeks to finally find it.  And it was in the Baen Free Library so was able to download a free ebook of it.  I will probably put it at the bottom of my list just so I can post it after, I'm guessing no one's bottom 10 are going to make the list.

Got to sit down in front of my book shelves and pick out my top 15 or so, then go through my kindle books for the rest.

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 1077
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
I had a brain fart, I only just now noticed Graphic Novels are acceptable so I'll have to submit a new list, with MORE entries, since this looks like it's going to be another LOC with few submissions.  :(

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »
I'm working on a list, but as a comic artist and comic lover myself, I don't think i will include them - not because they are lesser, but because we can do best comic lists, which can't include novels, and this seems like novels time to shine. :)
FINE

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 468
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
This thread has sparked old memories of books I enjoyed as a kid. There was one story I remember enjoying. It was part of a class assignment - pick something from a pile of books teacher had there, then read and write a book report. One title caught my eye because it had a cool cover depicting a robot falling through a hole in the sky... after a search, I found it (but faulty memory, it wasn't a robot. lol) I'm not going to change my list, but I was happy that I now had a title to attach to the memory of a book I really enjoyed as a kid. (one of several titles swirling around in my head... man I must have read a lot of books and wrote a lot of reports in my School days)

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 598
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »
I have a preliminary list put together, just waiting to see if I forgot anything.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7355
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 04:34:08 AM »

i lent it to my sister long ago, and she remembered the title! list is almost done.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 325
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
I like graphic novels, but I kinda feel that the spirit of this list is more traditional novels -- we should be celebrating more of the Louisa May Allcotts and less of the Frank Millers this time around. But if people want to include 'em, that's their prerogative. Submitting my list momentarily.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline CJones

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
That makes 5. We're finally starting to get some overlap. And not entirely in the ways I was expecting ??? Interesting.

Offline CJones

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
One week down, one to go.

Up to 6 lists now, which is good. I consider 6 to be the minimum necessary for a viable List. Goflyblind's list will make 7, so looking forward to that. I can start writing some entries now, as there are some that are pretty much guaranteed to make it. 

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3088
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »
List sent.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 598
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »
Lsit Snet