Author Topic: Submit your lists for LoC #127 Top 50 Novels!  (Read 1707 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1186
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Submit your lists for LoC #127 Top 50 Novels!
« on: August 28, 2020, 03:40:30 PM »

Welcome to List of Crap #127, Top 50 Novels. Those things Amazon originally sold, before they started selling literally everything. It's been a long time since I did one of these, and Johnny's not around to bail me out, so let's hope it goes well :P

In the unlikely event you're new to this, here's how it works: You PM me a list of your Top 25 favorite novels. They'll be given point values from 25 to 1. All the point values for all novels that appear on at least one list will be tabulated together, and we'll have a top 50 countdown of the highest scorers. You can submit a list of less than 25, if you can't think of that many, but keep in mind they will be weighted accordingly (a list of 10 will be worth 10 points down to 1 point).

So, what constitutes a novel, for the purposes of this LoC? I'm not going to set any specific word or page count as the minimum required. Use your best judgement. If the entire thing can fit in something the size of a magazine, it's not a novel. Likewise, short stories are not novels. However, a collection of short stories can be, if they were originally published as a collection. It should at least resemble a "book" when in paperback form.

For a series of novels that were clearly intended from the start to be a series with a definite overarching narrative, I'm considering the entire series as one novel. For series that share a continuity, but are otherwise stand alone stories, each novel counts as it's own entity.

I am going to allow graphic novels, for the sake of inclusiveness. Again, use your best judgement. Something like, say, Watchmen, definitely counts as a "real" novel IMO.

Any questions, problems or discussion (which I expect there will be), direct them here. But PM me your lists, don't post those here. I know someone mentioned Shakespeare plays. That's something I know bupkis about, so if someone more knowledgeable can comment, please do.

EDIT: Due date is Friday, September 11th.

Offline CJones

Re: Submit your lists for LoC #127 Top 50 Novels!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
Mods, please sticky this.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5005
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 601
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
I like to include a Rifftrax/Mst3k reference or two in my lists and this LoC may make it difficult.

Offline CJones

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »
I forgot to set a due date. Let's say September 11th. That's Friday after next, two weeks from today.

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
High schools consider each individual Shakespeare play a novel. Basically, there was a group of novels that were approved to be used as mandatory reading material. Your English teacher would pick one of the approved books from the list, and you were required to read it that semester and write a book report.  Having the entire class read the same book is a deterrent against cheating by doing a report on a movie based on a book, reading something like a comic book or kids picture book and  claiming it was a novel, reading cliff notes instead of the novel, or looking at the cover of an obscure novel and inventing the plot to go with it. Instead, once a week the class would read a chapter out loud ( taking turns of course ) and there would be tests on chapters to make sure you actually read them. One of my teachers allowed us to read outside of the approved books and pick any novel we wanted, an I completely screwed him by handing in a book report on a novel I completely invented. There wasn't an internet yet, so he couldn't look up and see if it really existed.  Anyway... the board of education decided students needed to read Shakespeare, so Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, and the cursed Scottish play were added to the approved novel list.  IMO they are not novels because they have a lot of blank spaces between lines and a lot of stage direction like "Exeunt" or "A Roma At Polonius Place">

Shame about not including the magazine, because that means Utterly Monstrous, Mind-Roasting Summer of O. C. and Stiggs doesn't count as a novel, even though Robert Altman turned it into a movie. Apparently it only has a page count of 71, and some of those pages had pictures. I did find it reprinted online as a downloadable PDF for anyone interested in reading it.

https://pdf4pro.com/view/utterly-monstrous-mind-roasting-summer-of-o-c-and-stiggs-3579a3.html

As for graphic novels, lets say a cartoonist released a graphic novel that originally was printed as comic strips, then later combined as a complete story with some new linking pages added. Still count as a graphic novel, or did it need to previously exist as a comic book to qualify as a real graphic novel?

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 470
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »
Have the listy - it was done before my concussion (not mining for sympathy here, but an uninsured drunk plowed into me last weekend and has turned my life inside out and upside down.... as a matter of fact I barely remember posting that comment on the voting thread a few days back) But the fog is slowly clearing and I made one change -- since original short story collections count.  Re-reading the rules, it was not peiced together using previously published material in mags or whatnot, as some short story collection do - but was released as a collection of several original long short stories, and one short long story (lol). It was published under a different title for years... until a certin movie adaptation was released.

So goodbye YA favorite from my youth, hello timeless collection.

I know I have weeks to make changes, but I compiled this with clear mind and heart,  so I'm sending it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:45:36 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 601
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
Have the listy - it was done before my concussion (not mining for sympathy here, but an uninsured drunk plowed into me last weekend and has turned my life inside out and upside down.... as a matter of fact I barely remember posting that comment on the voting thread a few days back) But the fog is slowly clearing and I made one change -- since original short story collections count.  Re-reading the rules, it was not peiced together using previously published material in mags or whatnot, as some short story collection do - but was released as a collection of several original long short stories, and one short long story (lol). It was published under a different title for years... until a certin movie adaptation was released.

So goodbye YA favorite from my youth, hello timeless collection.

I know I have weeks to make changes, but I compiled this with clear mind and heart,  so I'm sending it.

God Damn

You should write a novel.

Offline CJones

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 10:01:52 PM »
Looks good George-2.0. My own list is, shall we say, substantially less scholarly :P

Offline CJones

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 12:59:44 AM »
As for graphic novels, lets say a cartoonist released a graphic novel that originally was printed as comic strips, then later combined as a complete story with some new linking pages added. Still count as a graphic novel, or did it need to previously exist as a comic book to qualify as a real graphic novel?

Hmm, tough call. My first inclination is to say no, but could you tell us what specifically you're referring to?

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »

Hmm, tough call. My first inclination is to say no, but could you tell us what specifically you're referring to?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 470
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
I'm getting a bad feeling about this -- please tell me this isn't going to turn into a list of graphic novels, that we will have real books, novels, with words printed on a page, rather words in ballons with art, dominating this LoC? I mean, that's what I was voting for, and we've already indulged our comic book sides in so many other lists.

I'm also concerned that any trade paperback, collected edition will qualify. I mean, if Watchmen, which was printed as a limited series, then collected later, counts. Then whats to prevent the latest trade edition of Wonder Woman or Batman. etc, which collects the last monthly story arc, from being included? I think an original graphic novel LoC would be great on its own.  But I have concerns about them being allowed here -- will they pull this list further and further away from actual novels?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:36:44 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline CJones

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
I actually didn't know Watchmen wasn't a complete novel from the start. That's the only version I know about. I don't really read graphic novels.

I wouldn't worry. Of the three lists I have so far, they're almost entirely pure text novels.

Online stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
Most graphic novels began as multi issue comic books. But to be fair, many traditional novels began as serialized stories in magazines which printed one chapter per issue before being compiled into a single book.  I have only read two, and possibly three ( pending ruling by LoC host ) graphic novels. However, I only read 20 text novels, and that is counting some crap from Scholastic I read in grade school.  Graphic novels would allow me to submit a longer list.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:19:30 PM by stethacantus »

Offline CJones

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
Most graphic novels began as multi issue comic books. But to be fair, many traditional novels began as serialized stories in magazines which printed one chapter per issue before being compiled into a single book.  I have only read two, and possibly three ( pending ruling by LoC host ) graphic novels. However, I only read 20 text novels, and that is counting some crap from Scholastic I read in grade school.  Graphic novels would allow me to submit a longer list.

I'll allow The Life and Times of the Schmoo, if for no other reason than because I'd rather get as close to a full list as possible.