login

Author Topic: Official GLITCH Thread  (Read 324 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
Official GLITCH Thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
I couldn't find a thread specific to game glitches,  so here it is.

Sometimes a glitch can ruin hours worth of unsaved gameplay and should be avoided. Sometimes they can do the opposite and help you cheat or shorten a speed run. Sometimes they allow you to access areas you weren't suppose to. But often they just do something weird and entertaining.  If you recently ran into a glitch you want to tell everyone about ( or warn everyone about. ), or maybe just want to talk about a notorious glitch that has been around for a while, this is the thread for it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:52:51 AM by stethacantus »

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: Official GLITCH Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
Okay, now that a Glitch thread exists, here is what I  found playing GTA IV.

Of course,  any GTA fan knows about  the ghost swings at the projects at Firefly Island. Drive a car into them and get launched halfway across the city. But no one seems to have found what I call the Kate Date glitch. Probably because no one wants to date Kate.  She won't invite you into her house for sex, and her brothers promised to kill you if you ever really did. You can't unlock any ability by dating her, so why bother when there is so much other mischief to do. But if you ever do decide to date this prude, first steal yourself a soda delivery  truck. I was on my way to Kate when I  flipped the car I was in, and had to improvise by carjacking a soda delivery truck. Kate works at some sort of community theater.  Use the GPS to plot the route to it. Drive into the yellow arrow at full speed. When the cut scene is activated,  the truck will drop from the sky and land on top of the marquee. Of course Kate will complain about where you chose to park the vehicle, and will yell at you when you drive off the side and down to the sidewalk below. This only seems to work with trucks, and so far only the trucks with the soda logos painted on the sides land squarely on the marquee and not off to the side.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:24:32 PM by stethacantus »

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
Always enjoy a good "how the hell did that happen" story :)

Back in my arcade gaming days, I ran into an extraordinarily rare glitch in Smash TV that I like to brag about.

I was fighting the first floor boss, Mutoid Man, when I apparently stepped on a land mine that was so far down the screen that it was completely obscured by the bottom wall. Suddenly the screen just went black. A while later, a message popped up that said something like "You've found the Secret Warp!". Then level 2 started.

There is no "warp zone" in Smash TV. It wasn't until many years later that I finally found out what happened. It was the game's exception handling system. If the game encounters an unrecoverable exception (aka crashes), when the hardware reboots, it recognizes it was in the middle of a game, throws up that message, abandons the current level entirely and starts the next. It's so rare that I've never even been able to find a screen shot of it. 

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 05:42:20 PM »
Hey! Found me one of them floating cars.

Unfortunately, after I stepped away from it to make this screen capture, the owner got back in and floated off before I could recapture the car.