login

Author Topic: Covid 19 Social Distancing Meta Episode this Sunday!  (Read 656 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3052
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Covid 19 Social Distancing Meta Episode this Sunday!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 04:52:32 PM »
They are about to do a short riff.

The riff-a-long was fun enough. My son watched it with me - his first MST3K episode.
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 198
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »
You know how some things are great ideas but badly executed? This social-distancing riff-a-long was the opposite: a counterintuitive-sounding idea that actually worked wonders! All of the riffing (including the riffing on top of riffing) was natural and not manufactured, they weren't trying to fill up every bit of empty space like on the Netflix shows, and the only complaint I have is with that lame "moonsplaining" host segment. I'd give this event a 9.5 out of 10!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 05:25:48 PM »
Well, it was an attempt at doing something different. Like the voices of tour Tom and tour Crow a lot more than Netflix Tom and Crow. But wasn't much to it really- new riffs far in between and few-like early KTMA.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2969
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
It was fun watching the live crew react to an old episode, but only a handful of the new riffs really landed for me.   In the after show zoom session they kind of explained the reasoning for doing it this way, they just didn't have the time to write an entire new riff, and the KTMA episodes had lots of empty space for them to get in new riffs.

Man, that was one super short short.

The after show "party" was great, loads of great guests.

Oh, and I guess on Pluto there were commercial breaks?  I was watching on YouTube and during the breaks they were all talking to each other.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3775
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
I got the impression we weren't supposed to be hearing the bits during the commercials, but it was neat to hear.

It was a lot of fun. Not bad for something they threw together in a couple weeks.

Online eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 343
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
It was fun watching the live crew react to an old episode, but only a handful of the new riffs really landed for me.
Same for me.

Man, that was one super short short.
No kidding. Blink and you could miss it.

Oh, and I guess on Pluto there were commercial breaks?  I was watching on YouTube and during the breaks they were all talking to each other.
No, it was the same as YouTube. I had to switch over about halfway through because Pluto locked up on me.

I can't remember exactly when it was, but at some point in the past during a MST3K-related show (Turkey Day or something), Pluto didn't have commercials during breaks when other platforms did. When I heard the talking during the breaks this time, I thought it might be like that again. They sure didn't seem to act like they knew they were being heard by the audience.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »
For those that missed it/wanna see it again:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1ZXMttOWzLY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1ZXMttOWzLY</a>

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 324
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 06:57:26 AM »
Does anyone know how long they'll keep it up on youtube? Don't have time to watch until the weekend.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
My educated guess is they'll keep it up indefinitely like the annotated MST3K episodes they host.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 198
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 10:06:59 AM »
My educated guess is they'll keep it up indefinitely like the annotated MST3K episodes they host.

To add to that, they'll keep it up as long as they have the license to the rights of the movie "Moon Zero Two" (unless that movie is in the public domain, that is).

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 838
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
Does anyone know how long they'll keep it up on youtube? Don't have time to watch until the weekend.

4K Downloader is your friend. Free to use can download most You Tube videos.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »
I second 4K downloader. Great and extremely easy to use. Free version works fine without rxtreme limits, but I use it so much I sprung for the paid version last year.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 324
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
Thanks guys, might have time and energy to watch tomorrow. I hope

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
...and the KTMA episodes had lots of empty space for them to get in new riffs...
This was a Season 1 episode.
Only KTMA episodes to ever see an official release of any kind were the first 2 that were thought lost but Joel released for free to Kickstarter backers. And you can count the number of riffs on those using your fingers.
Still would love to see some of those KTMA episodes get an official release, but it took maybe half a season before the riffing really picked up to a still slow but more normal pace.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 01:25:54 PM »
You can pretty much track the spike in quality to when they decided to appoint Mike as head writer. I don't think it's the Mike part that was important, so much as the head writer part. The writing wasn't as structured before he came  on board.