login

Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 7160 times)

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 343
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #285 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
fyi: in case anyone you know isn't currently wearing a mask in public, and you think they might actually be persuaded by reading some science, this is a good one: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/27/science.abc6197

and the six feet rule? from a 1930s experiment. more likely, we should keep about 20ft apart.

Florida Atlantic University did some cough simulations and found the droplets can travel about 12 ft (includes video):
https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/mechanical-cough-coronavirus.php

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2977
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2020, 02:20:08 AM »
Saw this and thought it was great:

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
OK, so my province has been doing very well.  We've really been blessed in that all of our cases resolved without a fatality and it was weeks without a new case.  Our provinces condition was moved to yellow and I could visit with my friend regularly again.  Everything is not normal yet but we are hopefully close.

Things have changed.  A doctor visited another province and failed to self-isolate afterwards.  Then he was in contact with other people.  150 other people.  Some of them have gotten corona.  One is over 90 years old.  It really sucks that a doctor's carelessness risked lives.  The rest of the province is still in Yellow Alert but "Zone 5" has been pushed back to orange.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/health-care-worker-border-campbellton-covid-19-cases-1.5588168

This is an older article but two of the people he infected were over 90.  Thankfully they are in stable condition now.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Still lots of price gouging on Amazon happening.  Went looking for powdered milk for baking and there is some coming back in stock, got 2lb for $15 and that is about normal price.  But I saw several 9oz cans of carnation powdered milk for $10 each, or about 5X normal price, guess they are slipping by because it's a case of 6 for $60 so people don't do the math and see it's way over priced.

2lb is way more than I usually buy, so shouldn't need any more for about 6 months...

Flour is also coming back in stock slowly, can only get bleached on the shelves locally, but Amazon Pantry has the King Arthur Bread Flour I normally buy at Target in stock for about the same price now.  First time trying Amazon Pantry, ordered a bunch of stuff, we'll see what condition it arrives in, was not expecting it shipped by UPS, so a box with cans of food mixed with a 5lb bag of flour and a few bags of pretzels is probably going to be a mess when it gets here, but we'll see.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3787
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »
New Mexico reacted early and things are starting to open again. This week we got hair stylists back, and I haven't had a haircut since January, so I pounced and got myself an appointment. Feel like a million bucks, now.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
Over 20 people at work are home as positive cases or with symptoms and pending results. The company sent an email out requiring all employees get tested, which was difficult to do for many because most places will still turn you away if you don't show symptoms.

I got my test yesterday thanks to listing on the website that I had a cough. Got to work today and found out a member of my team (who was using my cubicle while I was out yesterday) is now home with a fever. Waiting the 2-5 days for my results.

Any questions to management at this time is turned back with "just continue to follow the procedures we've given you to prevent infection" despite it not doing much of anything.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:04:41 AM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 917
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
New Mexico reacted early and things are starting to open again. This week we got hair stylists back, and I haven't had a haircut since January, so I pounced and got myself an appointment. Feel like a million bucks, now.
I'm glad we're getting movie theaters back, because I want to see Tenet, A Quiet Place part 2 and Wonder Woman 1984. Of course, Theaters will probably be at only 50% capacity or something and only let people sit in every other seat. In NM this happens July 17th.

That being said though, I am still... STILL wearing masks until we get a vaccine available for this goddamn thing.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4621
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2020, 08:01:15 AM »
This afternoon I'll start my prep for my 3rd colonoscopy that's been rescheduled for 6:30am tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for April 20 but the virus delayed it till now. I'll be taking a new solution called Suprep where I mix a 6 oz solution with water or Sprite or some other recommended liquid and down it as soon as possible to start the cleansing process followed by 2 more 16 oz cups of water to keep me hydrated, then repeat the whole process again 4 hours before the procedure so I won't be getting much sleep tonight..
The first thing they will do when I get there is take my temperature to make sure I don't have the virus and then I'll be taken in for the procedure. Not going to be a fun 18 hours :-[
Oh and I'm getting this done 2 days before my 51st birthday.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:09:40 AM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
This afternoon I'll start my prep for my 3rd colonoscopy that's been rescheduled for 6:30am tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for April 20 but the virus delayed it till now. I'll be taking a new solution called Suprep where I mix a 6 oz solution with water or Sprite or some other recommended liquid and down it as soon as possible to start the cleansing process followed by 2 more 16 oz cups of water to keep me hydrated, then repeat the whole process again 4 hours before the procedure so I won't be getting much sleep tonight..
The first thing they will do when I get there is take my temperature to make sure I don't have the virus and then I'll be taken in for the procedure. Not going to be a fun 18 hours :-[
Oh and I'm getting this done 2 days before my 51st birthday.
Just got home and I have a clean bill of health  :highfive:
Temperature was 97.7 and had to wear a mask of course. After 2 negative results in a row I don't have to do another one for 10 years when I'm 61 :o That's awesome at least!
Picked up some country ham biscuits from Hardee's so I'm gonna chow down cause I'm really hungry  :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:50:03 AM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 363
« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2020, 02:36:26 PM »
Went out to eat for the first time since February last night. Local bar/restaurant that was virtually empty.  Every other booth blocked off to keep distancing. Wait staff and bartenders all wearing masks. Nothing on the tables (no napkins, ketchup, silverware, etc.). All that stuff that used to be on tables now brought out as needed by staff wearing gloves. Felt pretty much as safe as I feel ordering takeout. All precautions voluntary here and I've heard of other places that are not taking any.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
Southeast PA is going into the green phase of reopening next week.

I doubt it will change my furlough situation, but maybe it will get some students back on campus for the summer research program in July, if that happens I'll be back to full time work.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1752
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »
It's exhausting scolding my parents, trying to get them to wear masks.  They wear them when they go shopping, but my dad insisted on having some friends over for kebabs.  I made him promise to wear masks, but I hear once he saw his guests weren't wearing them he didn't either.  He buckles under the tiniest bit of peer pressure.  They were outside, but still.  There is absolutely no good reason not to wear them. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2020, 01:02:15 AM »
Spikes in cases around SC and our Republican governor is apparently content to leave preventative measures up to the local city & county officials.

Heard yesterday that the post office is switching to a mandatory requirement that all postal employees are to wear masks while on the job starting Monday June 29. Haven't seen anything in writing yet to make it official but that's the word going around the local post office.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 964
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2020, 08:36:02 PM »
Went to church today for the first time since the pandemic started. Pretty decent turnout all things considered. Almost everyone wore masks, and every other pew was closed off. I had agreed to sing a solo today so I had to go. They forwent communion, the offering and all the hymns. You'd think that would mean the service would be short, but no, it just meant the sermon was extra long :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #299 on: June 30, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
Why is sunscreen so hard to buy now?  Couldn't find any locally so went on Amazon and the first few I tried to order came up as shipping in August, finally found some that could ship this week (at normal price that is, there were some double or more priced items that could also ship this week).