Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 5451 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4444
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2020, 03:22:51 AM »
Turnabout Is Fair Play.. :o
Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 400
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
I'm in northeastern Illinois, about 60 miles north of Chicago.  The company I work for makes packaging labels for food and hygiene products and various consumables.  We're essential so it's mostly business as usual.  Except that employees who aren't critical to being on site have to work from home.  I'm a programmer, so that's what I'm doing.

Illinois has one of those shelter in place orders, but I don't usually have anywhere to be anyway.  I go to the grocery store or the bank when I need to.  The stocks of toilet paper and paper towels are being gradually replenished.  They're not back where they used to be, but it's no longer difficult to find these things.  I can't get hand sanitizer or the ingredients to make hand sanitizer anywhere.  I wash my hands a lot but it would be nice to be able to have something portable.  It'd be nice to sanitize in my car right after leaving a store or gas pump. 

I hope things get back to normal before the Rifftrax Live show in June.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 851
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Turnabout Is Fair Play.. :o
Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656
They would have to build a wall because lord knows that piece of shit wall Trump built is already falling down like my pants in Adult Model Angela White's bedroom.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:50:46 AM by Russoguru »

Offline CJones

• Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/health/usa-coronavirus-cases.html

USA is #1!...

...in number of confirmed cases of Covid-19. That's right, we're ahead of even China, a country much more densely populated, and the place the virus started.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/health/usa-coronavirus-cases.html
USA is #1!...
...in number of confirmed cases of Covid-19. That's right, we're ahead of even China, a country much more densely populated, and the place the virus started.
Trump will probably say we're number 1! And find a way to credit himself or something or blame Obama, or Democrats, or something, anyone but himself.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 347
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Woohoo! Needed bread and grocery store finally stocked up to a more normal level. Items like disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer sold out, but grilling steak for dinner. People were doing a good job of distancing and there were sneeze guards set up at all the checkout lines.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:32 PM »
School's out for summer (hopefully not forever) here in NM. Details to come on how my son it's supposed to stay educated and whether he gets to move on to 3rd grade or start 2nd over or what. No matter what, it's a long way to August.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
Also, let's keep the Trump talk down in the inferno. Not a whole lot of disagreement in these parts, but rules are rules.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
Went to Walmart today. Almost all of the registers had been replaced with those self service machines. I can understand why, but I still really hate those things.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2020, 03:45:51 PM »
Went to Walmart today. Almost all of the registers had been replaced with those self service machines. I can understand why, but I still really hate those things.
Our nearest one had that done about a year ago. Really came in handy now! They usually only keep about 4 manned registers open total. I would use the self service machine every time if we didn't have to go to a manned register for using our WIC card for some of our items.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2020, 04:12:46 PM »
Also, let's keep the Trump talk down in the inferno. Not a whole lot of disagreement in these parts, but rules are rules.
Right, sorry.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
Walmart near me went to the 80+% self checkout about 3 weeks ago. Kind of bad timing.

Amazing how quickly we can change our way of thinking. At work the mantra "social distancing" whenever anyone gets within 6 feet from one another gets said so often that it already seems normal. On way home from work, saw 3 adults out for a walk, walking side-by-side and I had to stop myself from rolling down my window and saying "hey, social distancing".

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4444
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
THIS.. is ALL TP that someone scarfed up around here and has resold it (possibly on ebay)!
At the Post Office, we call these giant aluminum 'tanks', BMCs. They are 6ft tall by 6ft long by 3.5ft wide and I filled it completely full of TP orders! Really pissed me off seeing this but all I could do was do my job and send them on their way to Charlotte to be processed..

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
Last several days the number of aircraft my ADSB antenna picks up has dropped dramatically.
Times of day that I would normally see over 120 aircraft in the sky are now down to only around 40.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »
Finally got my wife to understand that her planned trip in 3 weeks to go see her mother just isn't going to happen. She was trying to make the argument that current prices on flights, rental car, and hotel would make it a cheap trip and that chances are airports would be far emptier than normal. All true, but no guarantee that the ban of visitors to her mother's assisted living facility will be lifted by then and even if the ban is lifted by then that there won't be restrictions on visitors who have traveled recently. Really sucks, but that's the reality.