login

Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 7172 times)

ScottotD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »
Just had my first Zoom job interview.

Actually turned out to be more of a presentation given to a bunch of candidates at once followed by a survey, and if they like my answers I get a one-on-one Zoom call before the end of the week.

It's a weird random thing, I put up my resume on ziprecruiter to look for inventory control jobs in Ohio (that's what I've been doing for the last decade or so) and out of nowhere I get a call from an insurance company in Pennsylvania. Something in my resume seemed to catch their attention and hard, I guess the team leadership part. The recruiter might have been blowing smoke, but he implied that they're mainly looking for people they think can advance into supervisor roles, so the fact that I've had a team of 7 under me in my department got my foot in the door. I was almost smelling a scam but the research I did came up very positive, and if I doubted the fact that they were interested I got a separate recruiter calling me days later and an email from a third all for this same interview.

I'll hear if I get a final interview by the end of today.  I was a little worried because I've never been good at sales, but they're upfront that none of what they do is cold calls or telemarketing, that I'd only be selling to people who specifically ask for it through their jobs or union, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that.

It could potentially get me out of Texas and I'd have a job without a large degree of physical labor, so maybe I won't be in constant back pain so much.

Yeah so...

Partly from typing up details here I started sensing some red flags, and I started doing more research into the company that was trying so hard to recruit me.

I doubt my leadership experience on my resume is what caught their attention so much as the fact that I had a resume. Looks like this is a multi-level-marketing situation, and I'm not wading into that swamp.

According to a lot of former employees the company is notorious for recruiting a huge number of people at once and throwing them out to work with almost no training while taking no real risk themselves because you're an "independent contractor" that only gets paid on commission. Once I started reading that I recognized a lot of the same tactics in the presentation I sat through from an interview at a similar BS company that tried to recruit me twenty years ago after they already suckered in a high school friend of mine.

Is it possible I'm overreacting and this is a job that might work out? Yeah, like a tiny one. Not good enough for me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3787
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
That's how they've been doing it here in NM. You have to wear your mask into the restaurant, but you're not required to wear masks while eating (Since that's kind of impossible), so as soon as dining begins, the masks can come off.

CORRECTION! That's how they WERE doing it. After a 70% uptick in COVID cases, it looks like indoor dining is back off the menu and the schools, which were planning to do a hybrid thing where kids go into the classroom for half of the week and do it virtually the other half, are putting their reopening plans on hold until we see what COVID does.

It sucks as a parent because while I sure don't want people to die to provide it, my son really needs the structured learning environment that a classroom provides.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4621
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #317 on: July 14, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »
Went to the VA Outpatient Clinic here in town because I had to get 1 of 3 Hepatitis B shots required for my new 'Safety Ambassador' position at the post office and I have to wait outside the clinic while they asked me a series of questions if I've had any symptoms of or have I been around anybody that has had the virus, all of which I answered No to..
Then they cant seem to find me in their system for at least 10 minutes because the nurse couldn't get my last name right while looking it up in the system (if they had a Kiosk that could scan my VA card this wouldn't have been an issue).
I was given one of those cheap face masks (blue on one side and white on the other) before going in and when the nurse tried to take my temperature inside my mouth while moving aside the mask, one ear strap broke so I could no longer wear it. They didn't have any other masks inside the medical room so I basically let it hang off my other ear.
Got the shot and then I had to hold the broken strap side of the mask over my face till I left the building.
So this is what I have to look forward to on future visits ??? PERFECT!! :-X

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3787
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
It's certainly one of the more minor inconveniences brought on by the pandemic, but it seems there's an aluminum can shortage brought on by all the people who have realized that canned sodas are perfect for staying awake while telecommuting. As a result, Pepsi and Coke can't can all of the soda they'd like to, so they're only canning their most popular flavors.

As a diet soda drinker, this greatly reduces my options. All the stores have Diet Coke (Blech), Diet Pepsi, and- if I'm lucky- Diet Dr. Pepper. I like a little cherry or vanilla in my soda because it covers up nasty diet flavor, but the shelves are bereft of interesting flavors.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2020, 12:42:34 AM »
I was not aware there was an aluminum can shortage but now that you mention it, during the 4th of July sale on Cokes & Pepsis at our local BiLo grocery store, all they had was regular Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, original Dr Pepper. No Cherry Coke, No Orange Vanilla Coke, no Cinnamon Coke, no Cherry Dr Pepper, no Cherry Vanilla Coke nor Pepsis either.
I thought it was because the store is slated to close later this year but maybe that's why none of the flavors were in stock ???

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7213
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2020, 12:50:11 AM »
all you insulin-makers stay away from our drinks! :angry:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6337
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »
No Orange Vanilla Coke,
Apparently Orange Vanilla Coke was discontinued. It was only supposed to be a limited run anyway. Which is unfortunate, I really liked it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1752
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
I've been unemployed for 143 days.  But I have been getting the maximum amount for unemployment in my state, and with that extra $600 I haven't really felt my bank account move too much when rent hits.  It'll start going down a bit now that the $600 is gone, but I'm still comfortable, and have some money saved up.  My girlfriend has been able to start working a bit recently, plus if things got bad I could always ask my parents for money.  I work a blue collar job, but I'm still very privileged.

There are rumblings of things starting up in my industry again soon (film and television in NYC).  I don't need to go back to work right away, but there are a lot of people in my industry that do.  They were living paycheck to paycheck and don't have the cushion I do.  I want to let the people who are having trouble making rent and feeding their family go back to work first.  But in another light I also understand that's me saying "Nah, I'm good, let the poor people risk getting covid first.  I'll wait till it's safer." 

I've thought about this a bunch, and I don't think there's a clean answer.  I understand it's not my fault things are like this, but it still sucks.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 4
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • My author website
Living in Utah. I was laid off on March 31st from my tech recruiting job. I was already a year into going back to school to become an English teacher when I got laid off, so it wasn't the end of the world. I'm definitely better off than a lot of people around me, though some anxiety problems cropping up during lock down bit into my savings a bit. Thankfully Medicaid covered most everything.

I'm frustrated by my state. Lots of people still not taking this seriously. Some of you may have seen that pic of a council meeting debating kids wearing masks in school that was cut short because the room was packed full of people not wearing masks--yeah, that's the city I'm living in right now. Most grocery stores are requiring masks now, but they are only mildly enforcing it. I've seen quite a few brash individuals rushing through the doors maskless and the employees just sighing as it happens.

A city a couple hours north of me was the city with the most rising cases for a week or so in June. My brother-in-law got it potentially exposing my boomer aged parents in the process. Thankfully they never developed symptoms and were fine after their two week quarantine. The carelessness of my sister and her husband in potentially spreading it though was a cause for tension for awhile.

My new anxiety meds are starting to work, thankfully. The side effects were tough for awhile there. But now I'm bored in lockdown waiting for school to start in a couple weeks and I thought, hey, it's been ten years since I've logged into my account on these here Rifftrax forums. Why not revisit the old stomping grounds and see how everyone's doing. Hope y'all are well.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
Let me give you your 2nd Like and welcome back! Actually you've been gone 9 years but still it's been too long since we've heard from you :o
A lot has happened; some good and some bad obviously as this Covid crap continues to affect us all.
Too much to list for me but the biggest and saddest event for me was the loss of my wife of 16 years to uterine sarcoma 3 1/2 years ago but I've been able to move forward with my life and now work at the local USPS in town. Been there 2 years now and this Covid crap has changed the way we work; with decrease in mail and an increase in parcels but I'm still doing fine despite it all :)

Offline Fortis

• My author website
oh hello RVR, I remember you! I'm sorry to hear about your wife, that's real rough. I'm sure things at USPS are for sure crazy these days. What a wild world we live in

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
oh hello RVR, I remember you! I'm sorry to hear about your wife, that's real rough. I'm sure things at USPS are for sure crazy these days. What a wild world we live in
Thanks. 2016 was a rough year but managed to get back on my feet the latter part of 2018 and doing better despite things going on. Just glad to still have a job.
If I remember correctly, didn't you go on a missionary trip and that's why you went off line for a while?

Offline Fortis

• My author website
Thanks. 2016 was a rough year but managed to get back on my feet the latter part of 2018 and doing better despite things going on. Just glad to still have a job.
If I remember correctly, didn't you go on a missionary trip and that's why you went off line for a while?

Yep, that was back in 2008. Just a two year break that time. That was a lifetime ago, really. Going to college and getting super depressed and busy around 2011 was what caused my 9 year break this time around. So is there no Riffchat anymore? I used to love that chat room, but I don't see it anymore.