login

Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 6580 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 351
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
Haven't been ordering take out or food delivery in part because of concerns of just how it's being handled. Only exception has been ordering take out once a week from our favorite local bar/restaurant that we used to go to once a week. Still have some of the same concerns with them as I do with other places, but yeah, want them to still be open when things return to whatever the new normal is going to be.

Wife had a whole list of things she needed from Walmart, so made a trip there this morning. Lots of new precautions since my last trip there a week ago. Limits to numbers allowed in store. Seperate areas for santized carts vs returned carts. Xs on the floor showing social distancing. Wiping down self checkout after each use. Wife thought I got a little snippy with one of the self checkout helpers though. Walmart employee walked right up behind me and started to put the bags that I was filing into a cart. I asked her to please keep her distance and stop touching my purchased items.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4553
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
For those who were/who are in the military, this is no way to be treated for sounding the alarm aboard your ship >:(
https://www.navytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/04/05/fired-theodore-roosevelt-skipper-tested-positive-for-covid-19-says-new-york-times-report/

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1746
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
Tried to order Chinese food yesterday, but it was impossible. They’ve all closed in my area. It’s pretty sad people are that racist.

I did get a message from my cat sitting company saying they are having a hard time, and are offering the purchase of gift cards. So I did that to help them out.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »
Weirdly, Panda Express has had a constant line all around the restaurant here. I mean- it's Chinese in the same way that Taco Bell is Mexican, but there's something kinda heartwarming there.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 351
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »
People aren't eating Chinese food because the virus started it China? Isn't that kind of like not eating pizza or spaghetti because Italy was a hotspot? Just don't get it. (Not personally eating Chinese food either despite how much I love it, but my reasons go back years and have to do with carbs, sodium, and MSG.)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »
Well I'm making a list of restaurants that didn't offer curb-side/delivery before..
Already ordered from O'Charlies yesterday evening for dinner and it was great!
Others include: Waffle House, Texas Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, Taco Bell, and I will add a local Chinese restaurant to my list 8)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
People aren't eating Chinese food because the virus started it China? Isn't that kind of like not eating pizza or spaghetti because Italy was a hotspot? Just don't get it. (Not personally eating Chinese food either despite how much I love it, but my reasons go back years and have to do with carbs, sodium, and MSG.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/corona-beer-halts-production-during-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB12ausq

Early on in the pandemic, some consumers mistakenly associated Corona beer with the virus, with an increase in Google searches for "corona beer virus" and "beer virus." And according to one survey, 38% of American beer drinkers said in late February that they would not buy Corona "under any circumstances" at the moment — but among regular Corona drinkers, only 4% said the same.

To sum up, people can be stupid.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »
Just posted by the South Carolina Emergency Management Division..
To limit the spread of COVID-19 in South Carolina, the following types of businesses must close temporarily beginning 5 p.m. today, Monday, April 6, 2020:

FURNITURE STORES
HOME FURNISHING STORES
CLOTHING STORES
SHOE AND CLOTHING ACCESSORY STORES
JEWELRY STORES
LUGGAGE AND LEATHER GOODS STORES
DEPARTMENT STORES
FLORISTS
SPORTING GOODS STORES
BOOKSTORES
CRAFT AND MUSIC STORES

This does NOT prohibit the continued operation of the listed retail stores for the limited purpose of fulfilling online or telephone orders. Stores may provide alternate ways of purchasing or delivering products or services - to include curbside purchase, pickup or delivery and home or off-site delivery - provided that such options can maintain effective "social distancing" and are done with any applicable guidance issued by state and federal public health and safety officials.

These temporary closures are in addition to previous safety precautions ordered by the Governor
I guess people can still get their guns pretty easily ::)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 501
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2020, 07:01:07 AM »

First off, let me say, one of the first places I wanted to support when things were shutting down was our local Chinese take-out place. They were the first place I tried going to that had closed its doors. I knew racism would affect them hard here in Alabama, and we go there pretty often. Having said that, if the reason people are fearing their local Chinese food places is due to immigrants visiting their homeland and coming back, it's not wholly unfounded. There's an excellent documentary called Searching For General Tso that is super fascinating (they find General Tso in like the first 15mins so it's not really about that). It follows how the American-Chinese fusion blend came to be so widespread in the US through the history of relations between both cultures. Chinese immigrants deliberately pick a random place, change their recipes according to local tastes, and that's why you can go to basically any small town in America and find an immigrant-run Chinese food place. There's a lot of history about minorities adapting to their new surroundings, and the Chinese have been masterful during the 20th century. It really shows in their menus. Did you know McDonald's came out with chicken nuggets like one year after the invention of sweet and sour chicken? They interview the guy who invented it, and he seems really pissed. In any case, NY is getting hit hardest (56% of cases are in NY) due to strong immigration between NY and the EU. There's not a huge history of Italian immigrants starting their own Mom & Pop restaurants in America. At least not like the Chinese have. But if they had the same history and cultural impact, it's easy to imagine a similar scenario. So some may have stupid reasons, but, again not entirely unfounded.

Sorry for the digression. It's a great documentary if you have 90mins to kill. Here are the places you can watch it.
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-search-for-general-tso (I forgot how to embed)
Also, be sure to support your local Chinese food places if you can!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:04:07 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 404
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
Tried to order Chinese food yesterday, but it was impossible. They’ve all closed in my area. It’s pretty sad people are that racist.

I did get a message from my cat sitting company saying they are having a hard time, and are offering the purchase of gift cards. So I did that to help them out.

That doesn't really make sense to me.  Restaurants in general are closed, in many states, except for take out and delivery.  Chinese food places are frequently takeout heavy so they would have been minimally impacted by this restriction.  I can't see why they would be closed while other restaurants remain open.  I can see some people refusing to eat Chinese food out of fear of the virus, but not so many that it would shut down the business.  Feels like there's probably more to that story.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »
For a pandemic going on, people are coming into the post office nonstop all day today!  :grr:
And we are required to wear gloves and masks while working the counter. . And they are pretty cheap masks ::)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:46 PM »
And apparently our apathetic republican SC governor finally put a mandatory stay at home order for the state effective at 5pm Tuesday April 7..
As ignorant as the people are around here I'm sure it'll just be 'business as usual' ::)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 501
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »
For a pandemic going on, people are coming into the post office nonstop all day today!  :grr:
And we are required to wear gloves and masks while working the counter. . And they are pretty cheap masks ::)
Reminds me of Saturday when I went to Best Buy. On the way, I drove by Lowe's and it was *packed*. The entire parking lot was *full* of cars. I didn't even want to think about what it must've been like inside.

So, yeah, I went to go pick up a Roku for the living room since we're spending more time there now. Got to use Best Buy's "Contactless Curbside" which was really nifty. Put in my order, drove to the store, pulled up to the curb, gave my order number, and they handed me my new Roku. Well, they didn't "hand" it to me. I asked the guy to just place it on the passenger seat. And the guy in front of me was getting a new tv:

You can see the pollen on my windshield too. Allergies are kicking my butt SO hard this season. I am just incredibly grateful for an excuse to not go out into that awful yellow haze.

Offline Toranaga

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »
Lines around the building at my local food mart.  About 50% of the customer wore masks but none of the employees.  I guess they all want to die together. 

Do people understand the intensity of the infection depends on the degree of exposure?  Why doesn't the news report this fact?

Offline Toranaga

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
I found something that works good for a homemade mask. 

I cut a piece of hepa filter out of a vacuum cleaner bag.  CV is .125 microns and a hepa filter blocks .01 microns and higher.

I fold it over and press it up against my nose.  Then I put a Tshirt over the bridge of my nose and tie the sleeves together behind my head.  It holds the hepa filter in place.  When I breathe in the hepa filter plugs the nostrils and filters the air, but when I breathe out it relaxes and releases.  It's like a one-way check valve and you don't have to sew anything.  Just remember not to breathe in through your mouth.