Author Topic: Folding COVID Proteins  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1798
Re: Folding COVID Proteins
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
Our rank has also moved up to 4,420 of 247903.  Very happy with that.  Got team!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 208
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
I've joined, and as of this typing, I earned 42,842 points!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1232
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
I've joined, but https://client.foldingathome.org/ always times out when I try to check it. The control panel says I'm working on PRCG 13851, 23% with 2h54m to go. Presumably that means it's doing something. Something's eating up a lot of CPU% anyway.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
I've joined, but https://client.foldingathome.org/ always times out when I try to check it. The control panel says I'm working on PRCG 13851, 23% with 2h54m to go. Presumably that means it's doing something. Something's eating up a lot of CPU% anyway.

Hey, now you show up on the stats page.  Glad to have you aboard.  Seems to be loading fine for me now. 

And our rank has moved up another 1000 since I last mentioned it, to 3396.  This is primarily because it seems Marty is running his machine's second GPU 24/7.  It's still going to take some time, and I'm sure it'll get harder and harder as we approach it, but it'd be so cool if we could break the top 1000.  Top 100 is definitely out of the question, as that's mainly computer enthusiast sites with a ton of users.  I wish I could find out what the current score for the 1000 place team is, but I can only seem to look at the top 100.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3188
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »
Yeah, that 2nd GPU basically doubled my output.   I am shutting down most nights, did leave it on a couple nights ago.

You can get a giant text file (bz2 compressed) of the daily team rankings on the stats page.

1000 is now at 106379419
2000 is now at 34500672
3000 is now at 18372351

Breaking into the top 3000 might happen, not sure 2000 will happen, we would need some more heavy hitters to break the top 1000.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
And our rank has moved up another 1000 since I last mentioned it, to 3396.  This is primarily because it seems Marty is running his machine's second GPU 24/7.

My machine's running 24/7 as well. I think that's also a reason our ranks have risen.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »
My power has been out since 1pm, and now they say it won't be back until tomorrow at noon.  So no points from me for a while...

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 608
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
I messed up and never got around to regulating my computer's temperature, and now our one and only computer is dead (well, I mean, I'm using my work-from-home weak little Chromebook right now). I got it to restart before by holding 3 buttons and whatever and figured if it happened again, that's all I would need to do again. Nope. Seems pretty much kaput now.

Gotta order a new computer now, so I won't be able to help out any time soon.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1232
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:09 PM »
I messed up and never got around to regulating my computer's temperature, and now our one and only computer is dead (well, I mean, I'm using my work-from-home weak little Chromebook right now). I got it to restart before by holding 3 buttons and whatever and figured if it happened again, that's all I would need to do again. Nope. Seems pretty much kaput now.

Ouch. Yeah, the last time I tried leaving it running overnight, I found it had shut down at some point. I assume it had overheated, so I probably won't be doing that again.

The stats page is working for me now, so that's something. Don't know why it wasn't before.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »

Ouch. Yeah, the last time I tried leaving it running overnight, I found it had shut down at some point. I assume it had overheated, so I probably won't be doing that again.

The stats page is working for me now, so that's something. Don't know why it wasn't before.

Yow! That sucks for both of you. Fortunately, my computer is a grinding powerhouse, so I can carry both of your weight.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
They should really warn people that even with the default setup folding runs your CPU hard, so if you don't have adequate cooling it can fry it.  Especially if you have an older CPU that doesn't automatically throttle down when it gets hot.

Guess I'll leave my old 1070 installed, I was worried that the card would starve the 3 fans on the 2070 when I am gaming but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Looks like we will get into the top 3000 soon, if we can crack 2500 we would be in the top 1%, that would be cool.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »
Great news!!! The latest build of Folding@Home lets you target COVID-19 specifically instead of "Any Disease"! https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2020, 11:40:14 AM »
We are basically into the top 1% of teams (1.0024%).

Once my area gets back to going to work every day I won't be leaving my PC on as much so we may drop, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen for at least another month.  Looks like according to the plan my area is going to have to be down to something like 50 new cases in 2 weeks in order to go to the first phase of reopening.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 09:22:53 PM »

Once my area gets back to going to work every day I won't be leaving my PC on as much so we may drop, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen for at least another month.  Looks like according to the plan my area is going to have to be down to something like 50 new cases in 2 weeks in order to go to the first phase of reopening.

Sweet!  Hurray! 

Yeah, I’ve scaled down my folding time. I’ve had a few black screen freezes lately, and that concerns me, as this build hasn’t done that. The freezes were not while I was folding, but after some long periods of folding. Can’t say for sure if folding is the problem, but the black screens point towards a GPU issue I believe. Perhaps I should scale back and not go at max speed when folding.

While I am starting to think about a new GPU, I’m not quite ready to make that purchase.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2020, 07:08:58 AM »

Sweet!  Hurray! 

Yeah, I’ve scaled down my folding time. I’ve had a few black screen freezes lately, and that concerns me, as this build hasn’t done that. The freezes were not while I was folding, but after some long periods of folding. Can’t say for sure if folding is the problem, but the black screens point towards a GPU issue I believe. Perhaps I should scale back and not go at max speed when folding.

While I am starting to think about a new GPU, I’m not quite ready to make that purchase.

The profile I have for folding puts the power level of my 2070 to minimum and the 1070 to 80%, this keeps the 2070 below 60°C and the 1070 around 70°C.  I may start turning off the CPU folding since the house is getting warmer on the 2nd floor and the CPU temp is starting to get into the 70s even with only 4 cores folding, those AVX routines really hammer a CPU.