Author Topic: R.I.P. Terry Jones  (Read 179 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5634
  • Mr. Robot
R.I.P. Terry Jones
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:23:46 AM »
Terry Jones died yesterday of complications due to dementia.

Terry was one of the great comedians.  Monty Python is good, of course, but if you can find it, watch the first episode of Ripping Yarns, the show he co-created with Michael Palin.  The first episode is tops.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6161
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: R.I.P. Terry Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »
That is sad to see him go. But after his Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2016 it's probably merciful.

I had never heard of Ripping Yarns before, I'll try to check that out.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:16 AM »
I wonder if his funeral procession will be headed by coconut clackers, or if the organist will be nude.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 749
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 11:56:29 AM »
Nooooooo!!! Not Terry Jones! He was my favorite Python!!  :(

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 126
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
Disappointingly, it appears that the only American television show to acknowledge the passing of Terry Jones was The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon briefly mentioning the sad news just after sitting down after the monolog. I know that Good Morning America, that usually devotes anywhere from four minutes to a half hour every time a celebrity dies never mentioned him, he wasn't mentioned as a news story on any of my local news stations, not mentioned on Live with Kelly & current other host, not mentioned  at all on Conan, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,  Late Night with Seth Meyers,  Jimmy Kimmel Live or even Brit comedian hosted The Late Late Show with James Cordon. And all these f&%ks eulogized Cid Caesar when he died, despite the fact that Cid hadn't really done anything since his small role as the coach in Grease in the 70s, and who's heyday was as the host of Your Show of Shows way back in the 1950s.  Kimmel even had a ten minute tearful eulogy to Cecil the Lion, an animal almost no one heard of until it's killing by a hunter was in the news.  I was hoping Terry would at least get a mention on last night's Saturday Night Live, as I know Lorne Michaels was a big enough Monty Python fan to invite members to host the show, and even produce Eric Idle's Ruttle's: All You Need Is Cash which was a simi-collaboration  between cast members of Monty Python and SNL.  But no mention last night. Instead they briefly showed a picture of Buck Henry who passed away two weeks ago. ( BTW, another comic genius who was ignored by the media. I didn't know he had died until last night. Among his accomplishments was creating Get Smart and writing the script for The Graduate. ) Okay, I get that Buck Henry hosted a lot of SNL episodes in the 70s and Jones was the one Python that never appeared on SNL, but the show did pay tribute to comedians who never appeared on that show, including Cid Caesar.

Monty Python was a major achievement in comedy, influencing everyone from Steve Martin to David Letterman. Look at all the late night talk shows since Late Night and you will see the same subversive silly comedy that Python brought to the mainstream. There isn't a comedian or comedy show today that hasn't been influenced by Monty Python. Terry Jones deserved better than that. At the least his death should have gotten the attention that Cecil the Lion did, an animal who only appeared on a couple of documentaries on the National Geographic Channel, and was only famous because some show producer decided to give a random wild lion a name.  But I guess Jones had the misfortune of dying on the same day The Planter's Peanut died. Yep, that f&%king fictional mascot was killed off in an online commercial,  and got major mentions on every show, including every news show and SNL, even though we all know it is either going to be revived in the very next commercial, or brought back shortly after Planters fires the executive who thought killing of the company's trademark was a good idea.  Oh well. We still have tonight's Grammy Awards to completely ignore Terry Jones during their memorial segment ( the Python's comedy albums were also groundbreaking ) as well as the upcoming memorial in the Academy Awards.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
My favorite Terry Jones joke on Monty Python was probably... "SPLUNGE!!!!!"

I also loved of course Wink Wink Nudge Nudge, where Terry was the straight guy and Eric Idle played "KnowadImean? KnowadImean? WinkWink Nudgenudge?"

And then there was another great sketch where Terry Jones plays a talk show host interviewing a cat, a duck, and a lizard.

And then there was the time where he was interviewing A man who can speak only the beginning of words, A man who can speak only the end of words, and a man who can speak only the middle of words.

Terry Jones was absolutely brilliant.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 02:52:41 PM »
I wonder what will happen to his two sheds?

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
I wonder what will happen to his two sheds?
I thought he said he would sell them... but then of course he'd be Arthur "No sheds" Jackson.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 126
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
Nope. Terry Jones didn't make the Grammy memorial segment.  At least Neil Innes wasn't forgotten.