Author Topic: List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!  (Read 2995 times)

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 548
List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!
« on: January 06, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
I think we all know why we're here right? To celebrate the greatest show (I can call it that right?) in internet history!

List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vaBkzQfarhc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vaBkzQfarhc</a>

Believe it or not it has been almost ten years since this List of Crap has been done. Ten years! Where does the time fly! Where were you ten years ago. I was living in a different state working a different job yet one constant in all those years is Rifftrax.

There are hundreds and hundreds of riffs available now. With many new classics being released in the last decade I thought it was time to see how the favorites of yesteryear stand up today. There are so many good choices. It was painful to not include some of the entries.

Rifftrax(and by extension MST3k) has always been the ultimate comfort food for me. It's almost always on in the background in my place. It's a reminder to have some fun and not take things to seriously. Take lemons and make lemonade.

Here's hoping that Mike, Bill, Kevin and the rest of the Rifftrax crew are still creating classic riffs 10 years from now! There's still plenty of fodder out there (have you seen Joe Estevez's IMDB page?). Now onto the countdown!

(Warning: There may be minor spoilers)

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 184
Re: List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
48a: Aeon Flux

24 Points
1 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #2 PyschoGoatee

Rifftrax Promo
"Seeing it...made me feel helpless, humiliated and sad."

A celebrity apologizing for their latest paparazzi shots? No, those are the words of Aeon Flux creator Peter Chung regarding the big screen adaptation of the TV show he created. Peter, Peter, Peter...Why the long face? You have it so good!

You want helpless? Watch yet another director hamfistedly attempt to cope with a studio's order to "Be more like The Matrix." You want humiliated? Try Best Actress Oscar winners Charlize Theron and Frances McDormand, who must have done some hard drinking together the night before they signed up to play members of a spy sect called the "Monicans" for some reason. Want sad? Look at the latest devoted sect of fanboys whose beloved cult cartoon is now known by the general population as being "That movie with that guy from xXx."

Peter my friend, when a bomb as fast and as loud and as incomprehensible as Aeon Flux comes along, it's your job to just quietly cash the checks, and then turn the reigns over to Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy, and let the two of them do their thing. The hilarity, much like the Relical, (whatever that is), is omnipresent in this RiffTrax, and it is guaranteed to make you feel the opposite of helpless, humiliated and sad, (whatever that may be as well.)

My take:
I've never seen the movie. I should make it a point to watch some of the movies on this list just so I can listen to the riffs. To me Aeon Flux was just that weird anime on MTV that my parents wouldn't let me watch even if I wanted to.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:30:43 PM by linszoid »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Aeon Flux is a pretty good riff. I didn't include any one or two man riffs, but this is one of the better ones. And the movie itself is surprisingly engaging.

"So they respawn in the living room? Why did I agree to no camping!?"

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »
Old school riff.  Now we're talking.  I don't like any of the two-rifffers though.  Needs three IMO.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »
48b: The Empire Strikes Back

24 Points
1 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #2 CJones

Rifftrax Promo
Your favorite sand-phobic, midichlorian-rich super villain is back! And this time his capes are even more fabulous, his thigh-high Uggs resplendent like never before, and his burnt chicken head cloaked in the shiniest plastic helmet yet! And if that wasn't enough, Mike, Kevin and Bill are pleased to be joined by Darth Vader's bellicose but lovable brother Chad! Yes, the movie that gave us one of cinema's most startling revelations, and perhaps the most memorable silver screen quote ever ("I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me") gets the RiffTrax treatment.

My take:
IMO the best of the Star Wars movies and it easily makes my top 5 movies of all time. With that said I'm kind of conflicted on the riff. On the plus side, riffs comparing the probe droids entering Hoth to honeymoon activities are hilarious. On the other hand there are too many simple "This is terrible" riffs that kind of bring it down.

C-3PO: Captain Solo, this time you have gone too far!
Mike Nelson [as 3PO]: Put your pants back on!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:30:30 PM by linszoid »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Old school riff.  Now we're talking.  I don't like any of the two-rifffers though.  Needs three IMO.

It definitely takes a trio. When there's only two there's a hole. Like something is missing in my life.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
I'm surprised I was the only one with Empire Strikes Back. The whole Hoth attack sequence is pure gold.

"Their blinding speed and low center of gravity make them a terrifying foe."

And the Gilbert Gottfried bit always cracks me up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VIOLZ56mrtA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VIOLZ56mrtA</a>

On the other hand there are too many simple "This is terrible" riffs that kind of bring it down.
I honestly don't recall any.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
Who played Chad Vader?  I'm guessing Bill?

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4852
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
Chad Vader is a Youtuber from years ago.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
48c: High School Musical

24 Points
2 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #6 CJones

Rifftrax Promo
Much like a scandalous private photo of a semi-famous teenage girl (what? just an example), High School Musical mysteriously showed up in the RiffTrax mailbox one day.  And now we thank Efron, the ancient god of non-threatening gender ambiguity, that it did.  We’d been searching for a movie that would finally address the issue of cliques in high school, something you never see in a high school film (unless you’ve seen any high school film).  And, further, a work with the courage to let people know, hey, it’s okay to just be who you are, you don’t have to try to fit in, and finally that following your heart may be the wisest course of action.  High School Musical is that work, and we’re just pleased as punch (flavorless, room-temperature punch) to see its trailblazing so handsomely rewarded.

Yes, the film was so successful that these days you can hardly throw a stone in a middle-school playground without hitting a kid with a High School Musical backpack (much field-testing has proven this correct).  And it’s easy to see why.  The movie is packed with tuneless, un-catchy songs that leave your mind the moment they’re over (even when you’re sitting in a prison cell for throwing stones at middle-school playgrounds).  It’s also jammed with exciting basketball action, depicted as authentically as your grandmother might describe the game, assuming your grandmother has never seen basketball, or even part of an episode of SportsCenter.  If you can say only one thing about High School Musical, it’s this: the movie is set in a high school and contains a musical!*

Mike, Kevin, and Bill will sing about acceptance and togetherness while shoving you into a locker if you don’t check out High School Musical!

*Film does not actually contain a musical.

My take:
I didn't see this one either. I'm personally not a fan of high school comedies. However it does seem like this movie was quite ripe for riffing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:30:16 PM by linszoid »

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
Chad Vader is a Youtuber from years ago.

Yeah, wasn't there a series about him being a middle manager at a grocery store or something?

I thought he was a great part of the Star Wars riffs though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2911
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
I like Empire and HSM a lot (Not so much Aeon Flux though). They just didn't make the top 25.

We are dealing with the best of a very large pool after all!
FINE

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »
High School Musical...was that the one with that ginger kid?  That was a good one.  I might check that out again.  I love when they cap on movie kids.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
I like Empire and HSM a lot (Not so much Aeon Flux though). They just didn't make the top 25.

We are dealing with the best of a very large pool after all!

I received 186 unique entries.