Author Topic: List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: List of Crap #122: Best of Rifftrax!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 04:45:24 PM »
And the "I can't believe I forgot that one" parade begins. I definitely would have thrown a few votes in that direction.

That was back when one (If one was honest and not-piratey) had to suffer the humiliation of going to the video store and asking, "Do you guys have High School Musical?"

On the other hand there are too many simple "This is terrible" riffs that kind of bring it down.
I honestly don't recall any.

Yeah, it's been a while, but I remember significantly less bile than the prequels. (Honestly, even Episode 1 deserves a better riff than simply making vomiting noises.)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 915
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
This is the best part of High School Musical:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t9Ism9OTadg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t9Ism9OTadg</a>

It's uncanny how well the melodies of those songs fit here ???

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 915
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
Yeah, it's been a while, but I remember significantly less bile than the prequels. (Honestly, even Episode 1 deserves a better riff than simply making vomiting noises.)

This is true. There's a lot of that in the prequels, especially Phantom Menace. The OT riffs are a lot better IMO.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5870
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
I used to get a lot of the mp3s in the early days, especially when I was living in Japan and a lot of the DVDs at the used media store was cheap but since then I've gone VOD all the way.  Trying an MP3 again seems intimidating (though if they ever do a Neil Breen film, I'll strongly consider it).

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 548
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
48d: Buffalo Rider

24 Points
2 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #5 George 2.0

Rifftrax Promo

When you really stop and think about it, there are two kinds of movies: movies where rugged men punch mountain lions, and movies where this sadly does not happen. Fortunately, Buffalo Rider is the inaugural member of this first group, and while it waits for another movie to join it, (we’re looking squarely at you The Help 2), it is content to quietly kick some ass all by its lonesome.

Buffalo Rider tells the story of Jake “Buffalo” Jones, a legend of the Old West who tamed and rode a two-ton buffalo named Samson and, in the process, proved that there really must not have been much to do in the Old West. And while the sight of a man who resembles a Doobie Brothers roadie riding a gigantic buffalo is spectacular in itself, the producers decide to spice up the action a bit by keeping crates of vicious wild animals just off-screen and occasionally releasing them to attack Jake and the buffalo. Bears, wolves and cougars all show up to take on Jake, who appears to have been informed of these animals’ presence seconds before they were released.

You may have seen the clips of the “Guy on a Buffalo” song. Please, let us reassure you that you have NOT experienced the entire Buffalo Rider universe until you’ve seen the whole movie. This is a film that devotes nearly 1/10th of its screen time to tell the tale of a very, very unfortunate raccoon named Bandit. It has its own majestic theme song that you will be singing for days afterwards. Imagine if all you saw of Birdemic were the coat-hanger scenes. You’d be forgiven for assuming that was all the movie had to offer, but then you’d miss out on solrpnls, hanging out with your family and the spruce bark beetles. Please do not miss out on Buffalo Rider. Although the cougar punching is still pretty damn sweet...

My Take:
This was definitely a good one. Lots of good riffs on a slightly insane movie. I remember this movie hates racoons as much as that Mst3k Raul Julia movie hated anteaters. I probably would've enjoyed the movie on its own.

Then, without warning, a beer commercial broke out!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:29:57 PM by linszoid »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »
Ooo, I got to remember to get that one some time.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2904
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 05:41:33 PM »
I used to get a lot of the mp3s in the early days, especially when I was living in Japan and a lot of the DVDs at the used media store was cheap but since then I've gone VOD all the way.  Trying an MP3 again seems intimidating (though if they ever do a Neil Breen film, I'll strongly consider it).

It's still more work than a VOD obviously, but the riff player works surprisingly well.
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 164
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
Groovy countdown so far! Gotta love the epic selection to choose from.

Aeon Flux is so damn funny, had fun watching that with friends. Never seen it without the riff, which is true for a big percent of the movies on my list. Sometimes I can just tell a riff is what a movie needs to take it to the next level. Just fits right.

And on the Buffalo Rider post my eyes went right to Raul Julia, I was thinking oh my did I miss a Julia joint? He sure ruled.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 184
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 10:11:01 PM »
No 49 and 50?

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
No 49 and 50?

It's just how I like to rank them when there's a tie.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
44a: Laser Mission

25 Points
1 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #1 eegah

Rifftrax Promo
Sure, sure, we know what you’re thinking: "Laser Mission? What kind of a thing is that to make a movie about? Everybody’s been on a laser mission, heck I did three-and-a-half laser missions on my way to pick up some eggs this morning.”

Just trust us when we tell you, this one is special. First: unlike lesser laser missions, Laser Mission features exactly zero lasers, and exactly one Ernest Borgnine! Nothing says “action” like Borgnine! (No, really, he says the word “action” in a funny accent.) Second: if most laser missions were to include a theme song that repeats on a seemingly endless loop, that theme song would probably contain the words “laser” or “mission.” Not Laser Mission! No, instead you’ll be treated to “Mercenary Man”, a little ditty cooked up by David Knopfler (the junior Knopfler of Dire Straits), over, and over, and over again.

And, in the role of the Mercenary Man, none other than Brandon Lee of The Crow fame! It just doesn’t get more laser-ish or mission-esque than this! Mike, Kevin, and Bill came to violence deciding who would get to use “Mercenary Man” as their personal ringtone, but they all agree you really oughtta check out Laser Mission!*

*and before you do, it may be a good idea to watch this classic Ernest Borgnine interview clip, which just might come up, “a lot.”

My Take:
This movie is about a plot to by the KGB to kidnap Ernest Borgnine. I can only assume they want to him to tell disturbing fantasy tales about merlin to KGB children. I mean it wouldn't have anything to do with lasers right?

Is this Denny's? You said we were going to go to Denny's! I want a Grand Slam!

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 336
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
44a: Laser Mission

25 Points
1 of 13 Lists
Highest list: #1 eegah

Rifftrax Promo
Sure, sure, we know what you’re thinking: "Laser Mission? What kind of a thing is that to make a movie about? Everybody’s been on a laser mission, heck I did three-and-a-half laser missions on my way to pick up some eggs this morning.”

Just trust us when we tell you, this one is special. First: unlike lesser laser missions, Laser Mission features exactly zero lasers, and exactly one Ernest Borgnine! Nothing says “action” like Borgnine! (No, really, he says the word “action” in a funny accent.) Second: if most laser missions were to include a theme song that repeats on a seemingly endless loop, that theme song would probably contain the words “laser” or “mission.” Not Laser Mission! No, instead you’ll be treated to “Mercenary Man”, a little ditty cooked up by David Knopfler (the junior Knopfler of Dire Straits), over, and over, and over again.

And, in the role of the Mercenary Man, none other than Brandon Lee of The Crow fame! It just doesn’t get more laser-ish or mission-esque than this! Mike, Kevin, and Bill came to violence deciding who would get to use “Mercenary Man” as their personal ringtone, but they all agree you really oughtta check out Laser Mission!*

*and before you do, it may be a good idea to watch this classic Ernest Borgnine interview clip, which just might come up, “a lot.”

My Take:
This movie is about a plot to by the KGB to kidnap Ernest Borgnine. I can only assume they want to him to tell disturbing fantasy tales about merlin to KGB children. I mean it wouldn't have anything to do with lasers right?

Is this Denny's? You said we were going to go to Denny's! I want a Grand Slam!

I'm really shocked that I'm the only one who listed this one.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
Well, there are a lot I haven't seen.  I only buy one full length riff a month.  Don't think of it as my opinion on the riff itself.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 373
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
I liked Laser Mission, but as Edward said, there's a very large pool of greats to choose from. When you're only allowed 25... there's going to be a lot of quality Trax left by the wayside.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:11:02 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2904
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
Laser Mission was a near miss for me.
FINE