Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS HERE  (Read 2013 times)

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 14
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS HERE
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2020, 05:02:07 AM »

What agenda is that?

Hmm, this is embarrassing, you've stumped me.  Or maybe it's the exact same one that was shoved into Ghostbusters . . . with the exact same result . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fantastic argument.  Meanwhile in reality:

• The range of every single (Disney) Star Wars box office result before audiences were exposed to TLJ:  Anywhere from respectable to spectacular & record-breaking.
  • The range of every single Star Wars box office result after audiences were exposed to TLJ:  Anywhere from disappointing to abysmal.

Every single one.  Not to mention the plummeting merchandise sales and near-complete lack of (ambiguously canceled) future film plans.

Sigh, look, Kunedog, dude you’re always entitled to your opinion. However, I get the feeling that you’re engaging in some seriously overblown hyperbole. As a result I feel you’re not really open to discussing this at all.

Naw, I read you guys' posts, and I (mostly) take them seriously.  When I said that Rey is a different kind of character, you said that she's meant as an avatar, and I believe you're right.  But IMO her writers seem afraid that that the audience won't react well to seeing her suffer, struggle, screw up badly, or lose.

When you say that the last Jedi has contempt for the original trilogy I honestly have no idea what you are talking about man.

I won't defend midichlorians or disagree with you about the prequels, except to say that both are easy to dismiss (for whoever wants to).  I view them, despite being the first new SW flicks I saw in theatres, as a good story told poorly with a few random memorable scenes amongst a lot of boredom (pretty sure I never watched them a second time all the way through, except for the Rifftraxes (Rifftraxi?))  Midichlorians are especially dumb but they seem to function identically to DNA (i.e. they mean that force power is inherited) so Luke and Leia neither know nor care about them, and it changes nothing about their story of having force powers because of Annakin.  Introducing hyperspace-ramming in a prequel would be a lot worse than MCs, if you get my point; and even then, a prequel would just be inherently easier to dismiss.

Deconstruction seems like a bad idea in a venerable franchise that's supposed to have mass appeal.  And whittling the good guys down until they all fit on a single small freighter with no allies and no destination?  That severely devalues what happened in the OT, if you take it seriously.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1282
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2020, 05:06:10 AM »

What agenda is that?

Hmm, this is embarrassing, you've stumped me.  Or maybe it's the exact same one that was shoved into Ghostbusters . . . with the exact same result . . .

...again, which is?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2020, 05:44:20 AM »
Episode 7 echoes previous Star Wars movies, as per tradition.  - Fans: This is too much like Star Wars!

Me: Thanks for disregarding the prequels, and I had a lot of fun.  But your worldbuilding is garbage, the first order and Rey are grossly overpowered, and please knock it off with the death stars.  BTW, this flick is doing unbelievably well, so it might a good idea to ignore a lot of what the fans say (complaints) but pay close attention to what they do (buy bucketloads of tickets).  That still counts as "listening to the fans" by the way.

Episode 8 subverts expectations - fans: This doesn't feel enough like Star Wars and seems to alienate the fans!

Me: See previous TLJ comments.

Episode 9 caters to the fans as hard as it possibly can - Fans: SIGH. No!

Me: It's too late to (re)start a fan-pleasing, trilogy-size story now, in the third movie.  I definitely don't trust you anymore.  When you all-but-purged TLJ from the marketing except to bad-mouth it, it looked like a trap (which I couldn't confirm with Ackbar because you'd already killed him).  But you followed through and I don't know what to make of the finished product . . . how can you possibly critique something like Carrie Fisher's performance, for example?  It's a sometimes fun mess trying to "conclude" two disjoint predecessors.

And each one takes in over a billion at the box office (ROS will probably go over a billion this week). 

So many articles out there about how disappointing the box office is, as if it should be making 5 billion by now or something.

Seems people have expectations that have no basis in history.  If you look at the box office trends of all 3 trilogies this latest one is following the same trend as the first 2, 1st movie does the most, second and third movies each draw about half as much.

The third movie usually gets a decent bump (perhaps from people just wanting to know how it all ends), not a lower gross than the second movie like ROS will have.  That looks like a significant number of folks showing up for the first and second movies, yet having their interest killed off somehow.

The trilogies might be tough to compare since each was released in a very different time and market from the others, but one measure of how well audiences respond to an individual movie is its "legs," the ratio of the final total to the opening weekend.  Bad legs can be an indicator of missed opportunity and wasted potential, because it shows people initially gave the film a chance, but then it probably suffered from bad word of mouth and/or lack of repeated viewings (very important for Star Wars).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3848340484/
Rogue One had the worst (Star Wars) legs at 3.4x until TLJ's 2.8x, which alarmingly seems to be the new normal (i.e. what I mean by "lasting brand damage").  Solo managed 2.5x and ROS will match TLJ when it reaches 500M domestically.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2020, 05:52:35 AM »

What agenda is that?

...again, which is?

That's cute, because your sig shows you already know.

So here's an unrelated article about another random movie:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/07/01/elizabeth-banks-on-charlies-angels-women-are-the-audience-and-the-message-is-to-believe-women/

And a vid too:
"Charlie’s Angels" Postmortem – More Women saw "Rambo Last Blood"
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gMBI2yx1N98" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gMBI2yx1N98</a>

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3587
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:02 AM »
This thread sucks

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 660
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:44 AM »
I myself kind of feel like a ghost on this thread.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 182
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Anyways, it was good.  End of an era.  I wondered if I'd live to see the conclusion of the series.

My favorite memories:  Sitting in the theater with my dad in 1977.  Trying to build an R2D2 in the garage out of a garbage can.  Death Star toy on Christmas morning 1977.  Jealousy of the friend down the street who had EVERY Star Wars toy.  Throwing my friend's Millenium Falcon to see if it would fly.  Listening to the Star Wars story LP over and over and over.  All the SciFi ripoffs in the late 70s and early 80s, not to mention the resurrection of Star Trek!  What a great time to be alive.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »
This thread sucks

I see what you did there.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1577
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/turns-out-colin-trevorrows-version-of-star-wars-episod-1841002112

Uhg. This does sound better. I like the concepts better anyway, and the themes.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4600
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2020, 04:32:09 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/turns-out-colin-trevorrows-version-of-star-wars-episod-1841002112

I don't trust his ability to handle it, though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2739
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
 There are a few ideas in there I like, and several I don't.   Also doesn't seem like this would have a very upbeat ending, so not a very fun way to wrap up 9 movies.  So I don't see this as being any better than what we got.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2721
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »

I don't trust his ability to handle it, though.

I agree with both of you.
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2721
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »

So here's an unrelated article about another random movie:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/07/01/elizabeth-banks-on-charlies-angels-women-are-the-audience-and-the-message-is-to-believe-women/

And a vid too:
"Charlie’s Angels" Postmortem – More Women saw "Rambo Last Blood"
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gMBI2yx1N98" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gMBI2yx1N98</a>

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bounding-into-comics/
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1282
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »

What agenda is that?

...again, which is?

How so?  I don't remember anyone saying new MST had an agenda.   What agenda are you referring to?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:12:44 PM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 660
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:53 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)