login

Author Topic: List of Crap #121: Top 50 Martial Arts/Wuxia Films  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: List of Crap #121: Top 50 Martial Arts/Wuxia Films
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
The first 40ish minutes of Dragon Inn is one of the best movies ever made, though I don't think it manages to keep it up all the way through. It IS obviously a movie that Tarantino stole from though.

Project A is so much fun. I haven't seen the sequel yet, though I do own a copy, and it'll happen soon.

I haven't seen Drunken Master in so long, I may as well have not seen it. I think I really enjoyed it at the time though.

Yojimbo is a perfect movie. 10/10

The other I haven't seen - though I do have the Five Deadly Venoms on my watch pile also.
FINE

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
I love Drunken Master.  I know a lot of people prefer the sequel, which has some great creative fights but I prefer the classic training/finally fight structure and staccato martial arts style of the era.

You're not the only one. I also preferred the first one. It felt more "technical" (?) while the sequel felt more staged and theatrical.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 184
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »
Question for the experts, if I "hum a few bars"...

I saw an awesome kung fu movie when I was a kid.  I've been keeping my eye peeled but I've never run across it.

My only memory was of a guy fighting against 15 guys with spears.  He would parry all 15 at the same time.  He ended up getting caught in a doorway, and all the spears kind of used leverage against the sides of the door to split him open.  You didnt actually see guts but there was a big gush of blood on the front of his costume.

My mouth was hanging open from the awesomeness.  I'd love to see it aga9in.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 373
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2019, 03:20:27 AM »
#30 – Kung Fu Panda
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NRc-ze7Wrxw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NRc-ze7Wrxw</a>
37 points on 3 of 11 lists - Highest Ranking: #3 (linszoid)

Year: 2008
Directors: Mark Osborne & John Stevenson

Ranked #62 in Pastes Top 100 - Kung Fu Panda isn’t just a good movie—it’s a good kung fu movie. The title isn’t pandering, because the film truly respects its source material. Jack Black’s character may as well be Sammo Hung or Jackie Chan in one of his early roles. All of the classical elements are there— an obnoxious pupil who becomes a fighting machine. A team of (literally) animal-based martial artists with varying styles. An unbeatable, rampaging villain in the vein of the Ghost-Faced Killer from Mystery of Chessboxing. And a secret technique that the hero needs to learn in order to conquer that villain. It’s a funny, vibrant film as easily enjoyed by children as adults, and one that the adult viewers should feel no embarrassment for enjoying as much as they do. If you like classical martial arts filmmaking, Kung Fu Panda is probably the most faithful animated twist on the genre that anyone has pulled off so far. Too bad the same can’t be said of its overblown sequels. —Jim Vorel

Trivia: The name of the prison is "Chor Ghom Prison". "Chor Ghom" is Cantonese for "go to prison" or to literally "sit in prison".

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
#29 – Wheels on Meals
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jvVrNI_WuNo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jvVrNI_WuNo</a>
37 points on 4 of 11 lists - Highest Ranking: #4 (PsychoGoatee)

Year: 1984
Director: Sammo Hung

Paste ranked it #25 and said... Wheels on Meals is a silly, silly movie, but damn, is the action amazing. As far as trios go, it’s harder to get better than Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung, although Hung’s role in this one is minimal. Rather, it all comes down to some incredible fight scenes featuring Chan and Benny “The Jet” Urquidez, a real-life American kickboxing champion who makes the perfect dance partner for Chan in several high-octane brawls. Their final confrontation isn’t just a great scene, it might be the best one-on-one fight scene of Chan’s career, and Benny The Jet is just as good as Chan. In fact, it’s The Jet who pulls off one of the coolest fight scene feats I’ve ever seen, the supposedly unintentional (and unfaked) “candle kick,” where a missed spin kick generates such force that it blows out all of the lit candles on a candelabra several feet away. You really have to see it to believe it. Oh, and there’s also a story about a kidnapped girl, but the kicks are far more interesting. —Jim Vorel

Trivia: from Kung Fu Kingdom...
* The film’s somewhat unusual sounding title was originally intended to be “Meals on Wheels”. However, superstitious Golden Harvest executives changed the title because two of their previous films beginning with the letter “M” – “Megaforce” and “Menage A Trois” – had both been flops.

* During the film’s final fight, Benny Urquidez performs a spinning kick so fast that the airflow extinguishes a row of candles. This was not planned at all, and was left in the film because it looked so impressive.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2019, 03:24:30 AM »
#28 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FMJPwRWaZBI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FMJPwRWaZBI</a>
38 points on 3 of 11 lists - Highest Ranking: #8 (linszoid)

Year: 1990
Director: Steve Barron

Paste ranked it 84th and said... Akin more to a creeping chambara flick or a meditative piece of kung fu canon than cash-grabbing kids’ fodder, the first live-action attempt at a Ninja Turtles movie now seems—after decades of reboots and big-budget spectacles geared at children but tailored to functionally no one (as any movie Michael Bay produces typically is)—a movie worthy of its workmanlike martial arts action. Once you get past the explicitly turtle-based finishing moves (like the shell-smushing knock-outs) and the Domino’s Pizza plugs, what’s left is a brooding narrative and surprisingly extended, unadorned fight scenes. Although Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still staunchly a product of its time (featuring a young, greasy Sam Rockwell as “Head Thug,” no less), it’s also a handsome, even appealingly gritty film, shot with sepia filters and samurai silhouettes, and threaded throughout by the kinds of panoramic melees that all these years later M. Night Shyamalan attempted with The Last Airbender and then failed. Look especially to the brawl in April’s family’s antique shop to witness how four grown men in turtle costumes—that have gotta weigh a ton— combatting a bunch of ninjas can best serve director Barron’s unexpected talent at flushing out visual space in order to make a dead premise feel—seriously—lived in. Plus, this marks the only time you’ll ever find Corey Feldman on a list like this. —Dom Sinacola

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5911
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 05:17:03 AM »
I haven't seen the original Ninja Turtles flick in a long time but considering that it mixes two classic Turtles stories from the comics, the first issue and the Return of Shredder arc, I should check it out again.

Kung Fu Panda didn't make my list.  The story is competant but workmanlike.  However, the martial arts scenes are great, a lot of them taking cues from the classic Jackie Chan-style.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »
Kung Fu Panda didn't make my list. 

So what's that title I'm seeing in the 16th spot of your list?  ;)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »

Wait, really?  Weird.  Huh.  I did not remember that at all. Looking at my list, I see why.  A lot of the others are either more in the "I remember liking this but I barely remember this" camp and "very good but I don't see it as primary martial arts" camp.  Plus those fight scenes are really good.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2019, 06:14:44 AM »

Wait, really?  Weird.  Huh.  I did not remember that at all. Looking at my list, I see why.  A lot of the others are either more in the "I remember liking this but I barely remember this" camp and "very good but I don't see it as primary martial arts" camp.  Plus those fight scenes are really good.

I'm just happy it wasn't something I messed up and had to fix. My heart sunk a little and I thought, "Oh no, what did I do?" and then "well, maybe someone else voted for it and my old brain is misremembering."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »
No, I just assume it missed the cut off.  It actually made it fairly high, all things considered.  It doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for a zero-to-hero story.

Online linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 555
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »
I haven't seen the original Ninja Turtles flick in a long time but considering that it mixes two classic Turtles stories from the comics, the first issue and the Return of Shredder arc, I should check it out again.

Kung Fu Panda didn't make my list.  The story is competant but workmanlike.  However, the martial arts scenes are great, a lot of them taking cues from the classic Jackie Chan-style.

I think the original turtle holds up remarkably well. Its a lot darker then I remember too.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
Well, that's because with certain exceptions (such as the Turtles' love of pizza, the multi-colored colored bandanas, Michaelangelo's party dude personality), its more of an adaptation of the original comics than the cartoon.  Not as dark as those comics, of course, (which mixed the gritty Frank Miller-story telling with a Jack Kirby quirkiness) but still, darker than the cartoon to be sure.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 184
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

Trivia: from Kung Fu Kingdom...
* The film’s somewhat unusual sounding title was originally intended to be “Meals on Wheels”. However, superstitious Golden Harvest executives changed the title because two of their previous films beginning with the letter “M” – “Megaforce” and “Menage A Trois” – had both been flops.

I thought that title seemed pretty weird, even for engrish.  Nice post.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
I just managed to fill my list enough to knock kung fu panda off.
FINE