Author Topic: Favorite movie from your birth year?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
Re: Favorite movie from your birth year?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »
Well, I can't rightly say.  BUT the #1 movie on my birthday was "Easy Rider" and the #1 song was "In the Year 2525" which is pretty cool.

https://playback.fm/birthday-movie
https://playback.fm/birthday-song

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Well, I can't rightly say.  BUT the #1 movie on my birthday was "Easy Rider" and the #1 song was "In the Year 2525" which is pretty cool.

https://playback.fm/birthday-movie
https://playback.fm/birthday-song

Easy Rider...my fourth favorite film of all time.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1079
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
I mentioned Superman being my favorite movie from the year of my birth earlier, my second place pic would be Grease. What can I say? I'm a sucker for Olivia Newton John. She's somebody I have always adored on a deeply emotional level without that I can only describe as pure.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
I mentioned Superman being my favorite movie from the year of my birth earlier, my second place pic would be Grease. What can I say? I'm a sucker for Olivia Newton John. She's somebody I have always adored on a deeply emotional level without that I can only describe as pure.

Good year for movies.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
Oh yeah, Animal house would probably come in third for me. Then of course there's Death on the Nile, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Watership down, The Deer Hunter and Every which way but loose. I've heard good things about Capricorn one but I have never seen it.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 468
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
and don't forget TV, where we were gifted with Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park and the Star Wars Holiday Special!!!

Woo Hoo! 1978 you rocked!

;)

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
Oh yeah the Star Wars Holiday Special... AKA There's not enough lines of coke in the fucking world.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
Oh yeah the Star Wars Holiday Special... AKA There's not enough lines of coke in the fucking world.
Well, not after making the Star Wars Holiday Special, there isn't.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
This should be simple. Let's see what films came out that year that I have seen.

Agent From H.A.R.M.
No, I don't think so.

Batman
The Adam West one. But I think we can do better.

Billy the Kid vs Dracula
And this isn't it.

Fantastic Voyage
Well, at least better than the last film.

Follow Me Boys!
The Disney musical about the guy who invented Boy Scouts, or something like that. They made us watch it at boy scout camp, got the reels mixed up, and showed the entire film out of sequence. Not really sure if I saw the whole thing.

A Funny Thing Happen on the Way to the Forum
Not funny. Only saw it because Buster Keaton was ( barely ) in it.

The Man Called Flintstone
This turned out to be the series finale for The Flintstones. Not Hanna-Barbera at their peak. That would be back at M.G.M.  But I am sure we can do waaaaaay better than this. The next film on the list has got to be a classic.

Manos: The Hands of Fate
Shit! What next...

Munsters Go Home!
Another television episode padded out to a feature film. The next one has to be better than this..

Red Zone Cuba
Aaaaaaaaaugh! I have to have seen one great film from 1966.

Women of the Prehistoric Planet
Dag nabit!

Wait... That's it? Those are the film's I have to work with? Okay. Given that choice I would have to say Batman

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

EDIT
Forgot about foreign films. So it's Zatoichi's Vengeance with Come Drink With Me coming in at a close second.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 468
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »
Ha, that was funny. Manos and Red Zone Cuba in the same year.... brutal.

Thank God for Zatoichi and King Hu.

Oh and Andrei Rublev, Persona and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly redeem '66 a little, I'd say.  :)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
Oh and Andrei Rublev, Persona and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly redeem '66 a little, I'd say.  :)

You posted as I was writing, but yeah, those, and The Professionals(!!!) Blow Up, Seconds, A Man For All Seasons, The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind.

66 had a lot of great films.
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »
Oh, Zatoichi's Pilgrimage was also 66, which is my preferred Zatoichi that year.
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
Oh and Andrei Rublev, Persona and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly redeem '66 a little, I'd say.

I thought The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was 1968. Okay, that's my #1 of the year. Hollywood was a real let down that year. The best film seems to be Batman, and that was technically a television film. Two other American films that year were The Wild World of Batwoman and Rat Phink a Boo Boo. Also...

England
Born Free
Fahrenheit 451
Deadly Bees
The Wrong Box
Thunderbirds Are GO
Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.

Italy
Secret Agent Super Dragon
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't
King of Hearts

Japan
 Gamera The Invincible
Gamera vs Barugon
Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
Sword of Doom

It was also the year James Batman was made in the Philippians, the movie where Batman teams up with James Bond, and yes, the studio that made it didn't have the rights to either character. 

Coincidentally, a film called Spider Man and a different film called Venom were both released that year. Neither are about the Marvel characters.

Oh, Zatoichi's Pilgrimage was also 66, which is my preferred Zatoichi that year.

That film only came on video in North America a couple of years ago. Rumor was that Harvey Weinstein had the rights to it for Dragon Dynasty and decided not to release it. Supposedly he originally got the rights so Quinten Tarantino could film a remake. Until Criterion released it as part of the Zatoichi box set, the only way to get it was through an import disc from Korea.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »

You posted as I was writing, but yeah, those, and The Professionals(!!!) Blow Up, Seconds, A Man For All Seasons, The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind.

66 had a lot of great films.

1966 is the year I would time travel to if I could, the best year for music, art, film, pop culture etc.

Besides some already mentioned (The Good Bad and The Ugly being my third favorite film of all time) There was another two personal favorites the great The Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. And then my all time favorite film (actually a tie with another) Bresson's Au Hazard Balthazar.

1966 rules!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
Also Goddard's Masculin Feminin. His best!