Author Topic: Once Upon A Time ..in Hollywood  (Read 698 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
Once Upon A Time ..in Hollywood
« on: August 08, 2019, 04:03:50 AM »
An utterly worthless piece of shit.

#1 - The soundtrack sucked ass.  Unforgivable for a QT movie.  What a  letdown.

#2 - QT made Bruce Lee look like a buffoon and a klutz merely to make Brad Pitt look like a badass.

#3 - None of the three stars, their characters, their dialogue, or their stories were interesting.  All attempts at comedy fell flat.  I'm not exaggerating a single word here.

#4 - The only interesting characters were the Manson hippies.  I really wanted to see QT's characterization of the Manson murders the way they actually happened.  The buildup to a stupid revenge fantasy that nobody wanted or needed was a major letdown.

#5 - This movie dismisses the memory and reality of Sharon Tate and everyone involved merely in an attempt to titillate a revenge-minded public.  How obtuse does QT think we are?

#6 - I resent the glorification of malicious prejudice against hippies in general.  And I do mean malicious.  My lord that was U.G.L.Y. 

#7 - QT is running out of things to say.  He's only repeating himself at this point.  It turns out what we thought was hip, self-aware, satirically mean-spirited exploitation was just mean-spirited exploitation all along.  Retire, asshole.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:02:07 AM by F-Zero »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
Re: Once Upon A Time ..in Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »
Actually the one thing that was really great was, ok well, two things; that hot hippie hitchhiker Margaret Qualley, god DAMN.  That hairy armpit was se-xay.

Secondly, the freaky black-haired hippie chick at the end.  Wowie what a performance albeit only a few minutes. 

If only QT had simply jettisoned the stars and played it straight with these freaked out hippies this could have been a truly great movie.

Ohh and by the way...WHERE WAS CHARLES MANSON???? How DARE you tease us and never even show the big enchilada.  Jeers, QT, Jeers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:29:43 AM by F-Zero »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
Ok I thought of a third and fourth thing that was great; Steve McQueen and Mama Cass!  My buddy and I are big-time Mama Cass fans and when they showed her we giddily elbowed each other nudge-nudge wink wink eh? eh?  Would have been nice to get some dialogue from her.  The guy playing Steve McQueen (the bad guy from the show Billions) was a dead ringer.  Awesome job, but again not enough of the good stuff.  And would more footage of the playboy mansion kill you?

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »
And just because here's Homer Simpson truckin'.  Hahahaha 

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
Ohh and by the way...WHERE WAS CHARLES MANSON???? How DARE you tease us and never even show the big enchilada.  Jeers, QT, Jeers.

Except for here?:

I didn't need another revenge/what if? story from QT again.

I really liked the Spahn ranch scenes though.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
OMG.

I just read a review online...this movie is a MAGA movie and that's absolutely right; old style western "heroes", left-wing bogeymen, vicious terrorism against the left.  I KNEW I hated this movie and now I utterly LOATHE it.  Fuck QT up his right-wing youknowwhat, sideways.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:04:12 PM by F-Zero »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

Except for here?:

I didn't need another revenge/what if? story from QT again.

I really liked the Spahn ranch scenes though.

Ya agree Spahn.  I can't remember but I think they actually said that character was someone else but it certainly gives you the impression of good ol Charlie himself.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
woops nope, that's him alright.  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0380632/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

QT didn't do him justice, so to speak.

interestingly he again plays Chucky boy in the upcoming season 2 of Mindhunter.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
B+

It's no Hateful Eight (easily his best since the 90s), but I'll rewatch it at home at least once . . . more if I can sell a friend or two on it, which is a stretch at 3 hours.  And in Tarantino fashion, the main plot doesn't start until 40 minutes in, then takes 5 to 20 minute breaks throughout.

And there isn't much of a concrete main plot, just Leo's stalled career that defines his friendship with Pitt, and how they both try to do right by the other.  That worked for me because it relies on characters that work.  Pitt is loyal and honorable to a fault, as is clear when he implacably marches to check on Spahn, who (probably) doesn't even remember him.  We need to know more about Pitt's wife's death though.  I'm not a big Leo fan but he does consistently benefit from world-class director talent.

I went in blind and made the Manson connection embarrassingly late--either when Polanski or Tate were explicitly named--and I thought Robbie embodied her charmingly well as an oasis of hope.  Tarantino lays it on thick, but that's what he does well and it's a side of Tate that gets little attention for obvious reasons.

#2 - QT made Bruce Lee look like a buffoon and a klutz merely to make Brad Pitt look like a badass.

The whole point of that scene is to NOT give a sincere and fair portrayal.  Bruce Lee is the household name, the established Hollywood badass that everyone already knows and respects.  It's foreshadowed when Pacino explains in detail how the same thing's being done to Leo.  If you hate it so much, QT even gave you an "out" in that it probably didn't happen, not even in the fictional world of the movie.

#5 - This movie dismisses the memory and reality of Sharon Tate and everyone involved merely in an attempt to titillate a revenge-minded public.  How obtuse does QT think we are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rMy7ubhzI

Yeah, it's a great way to make a fun movie.  Fiction is cool like that.

#6 - I resent the glorification of malicious prejudice against hippies in general.  And I do mean malicious.  My lord that was U.G.L.Y. 

OMG.

I just read a review online...this movie is a MAGA movie and that's absolutely right; old style western "heroes", left-wing bogeymen, vicious terrorism against the left.  I KNEW I hated this movie and now I utterly LOATHE it.  Fuck QT up his right-wing youknowwhat, sideways.

This just sounds like partisan ranting against a movie that didn't pander to you enough.  How many "MAGA movies" do you think Hollywood made this year?

Terrorism against the left?  Please.

I do agree that Manson needed a scene or two more (preferably at the ranch).

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »
different flick but quite relevant

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EE0_zktXNNk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EE0_zktXNNk</a>

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
Oh come on.  Hollywood was TOTALLY a MAGA movie with a deliberate partisan agenda, just on the opposite spectrum from Basterds.  I do agree I was ranting however, but I get special dispensation as my opinions are always brilliant and I'm more humble than anyone and anyone who disagrees with me is fake news.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »

I loved the movie. Hateful Eight is my personal favorite but this was almost as much fun.

Right-wing? Where are people getting that? The Manson hippies were right-wing racists! They were a twisting of the ideals of the hippy movement and the beginning of what is quite normal now. Sure  he could have emphasized that more for the young kids who don't know their history (like that Manson instigated the killings to start a race war) but it's revisionism, though predictable if you've seen Inglorious Bastardz, was really moving. Old and new hollywood coming together. Promise of togetherness restored. Maybe you would have been happier if put in some positive hippies? To show the Manson family didn't represent hippies in general? I've never thought it the job of artists to do that kind of thing.