Author Topic: Submit Your Lists For List of Crap #118: Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films!  (Read 1278 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
Re: Submit Your Lists For List of Crap #118: Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »
Which was the one where Stan Laurel was trying to saw through a wooden post at an awkward angle across his own neck?

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 03:14:08 AM »
Sorry for late response.  Give me a few more days I'll come up with a list.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 06:15:29 AM »
Which was the one where Stan Laurel was trying to saw through a wooden post at an awkward angle across his own neck?

You still have time. he deadline was the 5th. But with all LoC's the deadline ends up just being a suggestion, and the day the procrastinators ask for an extension. So that, in combination with people just getting around to watching L&H films for what appears to be the first time in their lives,  means the extension is the 20th. But that is the absolute deadline. The 5th was the warning track, the 20th is the wall. Pencils down on that date, and hand in what you have, even if it is a partial list!  I could start earlier than that if I am absolutely sure no more lists are coming in. But I want to begin posting the LoC by the 21st the latest! If anyone can get their lists in prior to the 20th it would help a lot, otherwise I will be writing all the remaining entries the same day. The sooner the better.

Currently I am at 39 films submitted so far. Judging by the film just asked about, there is a good chance that a lot of the same L&H  films will be in everyone's top 25. So I would still like the insurance policy of an extra B list. Basically, when you rank your list and end up with the films ranked at #26 and up, put those on a B list and submit them as well. Hopefully I will never get to them, but if less than 50 films in total are submitted, then I could go to a second list instead of being a d&%k and pickling them out myself. Otherwise, the L&H LoC could end up being a top 39.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:17:17 AM by stethacantus »

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA
https://youtu.be/T_OcZBmzpig?t=1001

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »
I finally made it through all the shorts on my ten disk Essential collection. So many great ones. I'm slowly going through the feature length ones, and some of them feel like they are a completely different thing entirely. Some of them are even musicals, which the music has nothing to do with L&H at all, making them quite tedious. But they are interesting as old entertainment time capsules. Particularly the very unfortunate one about the gypsy caravan.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
I finally made it through all the shorts on my ten disk Essential collection. So many great ones. I'm slowly going through the feature length ones, and some of them feel like they are a completely different thing entirely. Some of them are even musicals, which the music has nothing to do with L&H at all, making them quite tedious. But they are interesting as old entertainment time capsules. Particularly the very unfortunate one about the gypsy caravan.

You finished all of the shorts? Does that include the bonus shorts where they had cameos in someone else's short? ( They also qualify ). The gypsy caravan one is Bohemian Girl, which like most of the musicals L&H did, were popular Broadway shows adapted for screen, and had the Laurel and Hardy characters added. But there are at least three features that were neither musicals nor padded out shorts. Those are the ones L&H fans prefer. The Essential Collection is missing all their silent films, and four sound era features Roach sold MGM the rights to as part of an out of court settlement. But at least it has their three best features.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 01:28:51 PM »

You finished all of the shorts? Does that include the bonus shorts where they had cameos in someone else's short? ( They also qualify ). The gypsy caravan one is Bohemian Girl, which like most of the musicals L&H did, were popular Broadway shows adapted for screen, and had the Laurel and Hardy characters added. But there are at least three features that were neither musicals nor padded out shorts. Those are the ones L&H fans prefer. The Essential Collection is missing all their silent films, and four sound era features Roach sold MGM the rights to as part of an out of court settlement. But at least it has their three best features.
Good point, the Essential set has a last disk with some extra features and ones they cameoed in. I haven't touched that one yet. I will get through it before I finalize my list.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
UPDATE
So basically nothing has changed in the past ten days since the actual deadline. Still only two lists submitted so far, still 39 films submitted for a top 50 list. The write-ups for all 39 were completed a week ago, so right now everything is on standstill until ( and if ) I get anything else.  I am awaiting three lists to be submitted that I know of. It's possible others are working on their own lists, but haven't mentioned it here. 20th is still the absolute deadline. That's 5 days from now. Earlier than that would help a lot.

I would appreciate if some B lists are submitted as well. That would be any films you had to cut from your 25 that would rank from #26 and up. There is still a good chance most of the same 39 films already submitted will end up being resubmitted. Having B lists to work from could pad the LoC out to a full 50. I have my own B list, but if I don't get at least one more B list then I won't use it, and the LoC will only be the top 39. And that would suck because I can think of around 80 of their films that would belong in this LoC.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:40:54 PM by stethacantus »

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
It's deadline day, or basically the last full day before it's too late. If you are planning to send a list but haven't prepared one yet then you better get to it now. The 20th is the cut off date. And while I will be holding off finalizing the list until 12:01am on the 21st for very last minute submissions, I will be using Eastern Standard Time, meaning that in Hawaii my 12:00am midnight is your 6:00pm in the afternoon.

Partial lists are still acceptable. If you have more than 25 films you like then put #26 and up on a B list, and if I don't get a full 50 films submitted ( which is very likely ) then the B lists will be used to fill in the rest of the 50.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
Working on it. I will send you something, even if it has to be a partial list. That whole business with trying to sort out my father's estate took WAY longer than I expected.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 10:38:27 AM »
I sent in a partial B list... though I don't know how you're going to score them (if #25 is worth 1 pt, then #26 is worth 0 and #27 is worth negative 1?  ;)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 11:18:21 AM »

Working on it. I will send you something, even if it has to be a partial list. That whole business with trying to sort out my father's estate took WAY longer than I expected.

A partial list will probably be more helpful than a full list. That means you haven't seen all of the L&H films, and therefore could be submitting films that would not have made your top 25 if you did see everything. The one thing that could go wrong with this LoC is if everyone picked from the best and submitted the same 25 films.

I sent in a partial B list... though I don't know how you're going to score them (if #25 is worth 1 pt, then #26 is worth 0 and #27 is worth negative 1?  ;)

Basically #26 becomes #1, #27 becomes #2, etc.
The B lists would be tallied separately, but exactly the same way the A lists would be tallied. Any film that is already on the A lists gets thrown out, and a second LoC is generated that would be used to fill in the first LoC. For example, let's say I get no more than 39 films submitted. Then the B list LoC would be used to fill in #40 through #50 with #1 on the B list LoC being #40 on the main LoC. It was either that or select films from a poll, but the poll would give away what films were already in the LoC.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
I just sent in my list.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »
Alright, list sent. I could only come up with 13 entries, but I guess that's better than nothing :-\

I wish I wasn't such a huge procrastinator.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
I'm sorry I had some unfortunate business resulting in hospitalization and heavy sedation.  I feel bad for not coming through on my promise.  Can you synthesize a B list and put my name on it?  I'd opt for heavy slapstick and shock humor rather than the cutesy stuff. I chortle when they casually plow over modern mores like racism, sexism, or child abuse but for a satirical appreciation if that makes sense.