login

Author Topic: Star Wars Expanded Universe  (Read 4358 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Re: Star Wars Expanded Universe
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
I personally think Timothy Zahn's books are the best of the EU novels.  They have their week moments, sure, but he stays true to the characters for the most part.  Now if you want to read total crap, go for the Kevin J. Anderson novels.  He can't go an entire page without directly quoting one of the movies.  Let me paraphrase pretty much every line of dialogue from a Kevin J. Anderson Star Wars novel:

"Well," said Luke.  "As Master Yoda was fond of saying: 'Do or do not.  There is no try.'"
"That may be true," replied Leia.  "But I am not a committee."
"Are you sure you wouldn't rather kiss a Wookie?" asked Han.
"Hey, remember that time in 'Empire Strikes Ba--' I mean on Cloud City when I said 'This deal is getting worse all the time'?" recalled Lando.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »
I still say that the worst Star Wars novel of all time is Jedi Trial.  It's the Holiday Special of the novels.  It's as if the authors only watched Episodes I and II, thought that was all that Star Wars was about, and wrote their book based on that.  Please stay away from this book if you can.  No good can come of reading it.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »
If you want a truely terrible read The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, then shimmee on back to the prequal era for Cloak of Deception, which is quite possibly the most boring SW book of all time (It takes the senate scenes from Ep 1 and makes the majority of the book about it :grr:.) once your done with that go on ahead past the original trilogy to Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. then and only then will be ready for piece of crap that is Crystal Star which makes Episode 1 look like a damn masterpiece.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:10:10 PM by KingOfShippers »

Offline jedi2187

• Schnappi Supporter
  • feets don't fail me now!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:40 PM »
...once your done with that go on ahead past the original trilogy to Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. then and only then will be ready for piece of crap that is Crystal Star which makes Episode 1 look like a damn masterpiece.

You hate 'The Crystal Star' too? Awesome! You are truly a person of great taste!

...but I have to disagree with you about 'CotJ'.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:42:34 PM by jedi2187 »
" LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes. " -Roger Murdoch, Airplane!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
...once your done with that go on ahead past the original trilogy to Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. then and only then will be ready for piece of crap that is Crystal Star which makes Episode 1 look like a damn masterpiece.

You hate 'The Crystal Star' too? Awesome! You are truly a person of great taste!

...but I have to disagree with you about 'CotJ'.

I love that gif of Chewie!

I don't remember hating any of the SW books. I guess I just tend to block it out and try to remember the main story rather than the author's literary prowess. That said, I've always especially liked the Timothy Zahn books.

Offline jedi2187

• Schnappi Supporter
  • feets don't fail me now!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 07:41:13 AM »
You can never have enough dancing Wookies!

Great Star Wars stories are few and far between, but Zahn is definitely one of the best writers out there. When 'Heir to the Empire' came out, I read that book in a day and a half. Has it been 16 years ago already???
" LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes. " -Roger Murdoch, Airplane!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 08:42:01 AM »
You can never have enough dancing Wookies!

Great Star Wars stories are few and far between, but Zahn is definitely one of the best writers out there. When 'Heir to the Empire' came out, I read that book in a day and a half. Has it been 16 years ago already???

I know . . . thinking about stuff like that always makes me feel old. Yes, at 30 (as of 6/27), I'm not as old as many of the posters here, but still . . . with 4 kids, thousands of dollars of debt, and no clear career path, ya start feeling really old, really fast. I'm suddenly reminded of a certain country song . . .

But I digress.

There. I feel better now.

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:07 AM »
Being the complete dork that I am for Star Wars novels, I always get excited when they release the cover art for upcoming novels.  So, for those who also might be interested in such things, here are the covers for the following upcoming Star Wars novels:

Death Star

http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=eu&img=/eu/lit/novel/img/20070517_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined

Republic Commando #3 (of 4): True Colors

http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=eu&img=/eu/lit/novel/img/20070209_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined&caption=

Legacy of the Force #6 (of 9): Inferno

http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=eu&img=/eu/lit/novel/img/20070531_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined

Legacy of the Force #7 (of 9): Fury

http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=eu&img=/eu/lit/novel/img/20070601_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined

FYI: That's Ben Skywalker on the cover.

Legacy of the Force #8 (of 9): Revelation:

WARNING: For those who have not been reading this series, this cover contains a heavy spoiler regarding Jacen Solo.  If you hate spoilers than I suggest you don't look at this cover.

http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=eu&img=/eu/lit/novel/img/20070810_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined

That's all I've got for now.  If people want, I can keep updating this thread with covers as starwars.com releases them.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.