login

Author Topic: External box recommendation for hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+?  (Read 689 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
Re: External box recommendation for hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »
MartyS, thanks for the info.  Since there's such intense vampire draw in my home theater, I finally went to a switched wall outlet, so I can turn off the trickle charge that each component gets during the roughly 16 hours a day I'm not using them.  At first I was dubious it would do anything, but doing that actually made a difference to my monthly electric bill, so I kept doing it (most notable: I ceased getting regular notices from the electric co "you're using more energy than efficient and even average neighbors near you").  I guess the Roku will just get the same 'power considerations' everything else does.  And at least from what you wrote, it doesn't stay fully on when not actively in use.

VoC, six button pushes is rather excessive to view an episode.  But the current interface, on my Sony Blu-ray player, required five button pushes (including a VERY long wait after the first) just to get to a description of an unfamiliar program to see if one might want to even try it.  i.e. Browsing for new stuff takes forever with the B-r player interface.  So I did that from my computer - only to find from a discussion with their cust srvc rep that the B-r interface is so primitive what one had in their queue didn't auto-update/propagate across platforms (I had to do a screen grab of my new selections off my computer, print that, and take it downstairs to the home theater room, then do individual searches for each on the B-r player).  And since I have hulu set to play the next eps automatically I'll only have to search for back episodes once.  So I think the new interface will still be an improvement for me.  Nice to know in advance, however.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:32:05 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
The Hulu interface isn’t terrible. But if you want to watch an episode of a show that is not the most recent one, it takes another 6 button presses to get there, which is annoying.

I guess that depends on how you started watching?  If you picked the episode from the list for the season the back button takes you back to the list of episodes, sometimes takes 2 presses if the timer has started for the next episode.  I do wish they would allow the list to scroll through all seasons instead of one season at a time.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »
Well, I've had some time to play with it.  Nice addition to my home theater.  I've managed to see a bunch of music films (both concerts and 'making of' album documentaries), some of which I didn't know existed, others which I was thinking of blind-buying on Blu-ray [e.g. 'Jeff Beck: Live in Tokyo', which I took off my Wish List after seeing it: just too average to re-watch].  I've also added some ancient Sci-Fi channels (e.g. '50s era TV series), and a station devoted solely to the Captain Marvel serial (apparently considered the best of the serials).

The interface for Amazon is MUCH better than the one in the Panasonic TV.  Still a bit frustrated at some (I think hulu) which doesn't give a description of the show when highlighting it, so that one has to go to the individual page for EVERY 'maybe' show, when many could/can be easily eliminated by simply reading the 2-3 sentence description.

Thanks to MartyS, and to VoC for your input!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects