Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Fake chests?
I was about to post that.  That was all him, he bulked up for months before filming.
Oh yeah, that muscle, that was 100% Montalbahn. Also, I love Lo Pan. He didn't make it on my list but he is definitely one of the more quotable villains.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:08 AM »

Colonel Hans Landa

59 Points, 4 Lists, #8 Johnny Unusual

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

Wanted For Nazi soldier, murderer defecting but somehow being awful about it.

Hans Landa is the most prominent villain in the film Inglorious Basterds.  In the film Landa is a Colonel in the Nazi Army and is an expert tracker.  Landa is first scene finding and killing a Jewish family in France, with him unaware that only one was left alive.  Three years later, Landa is present for the premiere of a Nazi propaganda film and unknowingly runs into that last survivor, now living as the proprietor of the local movie theatre.  Along the way, Landa also comes to realize that there is a plot to kill Hitler in the works and acts accordingly… to his own self interest.

Landa is a brilliant detective given the nickname of the “Jew Hunter” for his ability to find escaping Jews.  Despite the work he’s done with the Nazi party, he has no interest in Nazi ideology, thinking only for himself and what he can gain.  He is supremely optimistic and is not driven by hate or anger but simply calculating to keep his situation comfortable, even if he has to do evil things to do it.  Landa is capable of speaking multiple languages extremely well, including French, Italian and English, though he often misuses common English idioms (“If the shoe fits, you must wear it”).  Despite his dispassionate approach to his work, whether it be finding people to be killed or using his bare hands, he often has a warm ingratiating personality, hiding the menace underneath.

Tarantino intended Landa to be his greatest creation and there’s definitely an argument for it.  He’s scheming and slimy, willing to use his brilliance to assist an evil cause he cares nothing for simply because it gives him what he wants.  But at the same time, Christoph Waltz also makes him extremely charismatic and a delight to watch as he seems to run rings around the characters with his cleverness until he underestimates what the “good guys” are capable of.  The film is about how artistic mediums can be tools of hate and anger but Landa is the character who seems to be removed from any of that, not because he’s good but because he just doesn’t care.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/geCfrrS4GKo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/geCfrrS4GKo</a>

Trivia
Quentin Tarantino was considering abandoning the film while the casting search for someone to play Colonel Hans Landa took place, fearing he'd written a role that was unplayable. After Christoph Waltz auditioned, however, both Tarantino and producer Lawrence Bender agreed they had found the perfect actor for the role.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Color me surprised. I was reasonably sure Khan had a fairly good chance of making the top spot.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Color me surprised. I was reasonably sure Khan had a fairly good chance of making the top spot.
Sorry I Khan't color you surprised.
Nope no Khan do :rimshot:

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »

Doctor Doom

61 Points, 3 Lists, #1 Cleat

No one rivals Doom!  NO ONE!

Wanted For Repeated world conquest (both attempted and successful), abuse of the third person.

Victor Von Doom is a prominent villain in the Marvel Universe.  Raised in a community of outcast gypsies in the nation of Latveria, Doom lost his mother to magic.  Deciding to overthrow the despot who took control of his nation, Doom learned many skills including magic, science and warfare.  To this end, he traveled to America where an experiment that fellow genius Reed Richards resulted in him scarring his face.  Unbelieving that the mistake was his, Doom blamed Richards and vowed revenge.  After using his skills to conquer Latveria and turn it into a tyrannical utopia, Doom kept his vow by repeatedly trying (and nearly succeeding) to defeat Richards and his family/superhero team The Fantastic Four and conquer the Earth.

Doom rules the nation of Latveria and as a ruler is mostly beloved, save for a few revolutionary factions.  He has mastered science (challenged only by Reed Richards), magic (challenged only by Doctor Strange) and various other skills.  He’s even created a method of time travel and developed methods of combining science and magic far more advanced than most scientists and sorcerers in the Marvel Universe.  Doom is also supremely arrogant, believing only in his own power and abilities to accomplish a truly better world.  Doom also wears a specialized armor of his own design that amplifies his strength and comes with various tools.  Doom also prides himself on his nobility, never pursuing any strategy he would see as a cheat or would make him look lesser in his own eyes.

Doom might be the greatest hero ever if he weren’t so egotistical.  Doom’s nobility goes to the core, as he always keeps his promises and treats those who follow him well.  But Doom is unable to see past himself and is willing to do awful things to win, even if they are “fair” in his mind.  He even turned the woman he loved into a suit of armor simply to satisfy his mad vendetta against Richards.  A vendetta born simply of the fact that he refuses to believe that he would be one in the wrong.  But for his flaws, Doom is a tenacious foe and even his known weaknesses can be hard to exploit.  He might be second best at everything (magic, armor, scientific prowess) but all that together makes him one of the most powerful men alive… who is even skilled at taking out those more powerful than himself, including outthinking the devil himself.

Trivia
The exact nature of Doom’s original scarring are unknown following his original accident but co-creator Kirby theorizes it is merely a tiny scar and that his ego couldn’t take it.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2019, 11:23:45 AM »
Doom is definitely an iconic and timeless villain. And I would say a big influence on Darth Vader as well, plus George Lucas was friends with Jack Kirby and was a comics reader.

And Christoph Waltz is always excellent.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
It's just too damn bad we STILL haven't had a great movie version of Doctor Doom... yet. I'm pretty sure the next Avengers movie might fix that.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
As it is, I suspect the Avengers is done... for a while, anyway.  If he pops up, it will likely be in Fantastic Four.   Even then, I hope they back off of him in the first one.  There's a lot going on with that character which is PART of the reason he hasn't worked on screen yet (though far from the only one).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »

Thanos

65 Points, 3 Lists, #1 Russoguru

I, Thanos, gaze upon the cold vastness of space and muse upon my life. Both, I find, are empty.

Wanted For Wiping out half of all life in the universe, flying a Thanos-copter without a licence.

Thanos is a villain in the Marvel Universe.  A god from the planet Titan, Thanos was obsessed with Death at a very young age.  And with  the personification of death is very real in the Marvel Universe, Thanos is in love with her.  In order to prove his love, Thanos has sought out to improve upon is already godlike power so that he may destroy half of life in the universe to restore what Death considers to be a universal imbalance.  Though Death and Thanos both want this, Death does not reciprocate Thanos’ emotions.  In addition to this, Thanos is often attempting to conquer planets and expand his powerbase in his lust for strength.

In addition to his Godlike powers, Death has also imbued Thanos with a number of mystical abilities for him to command.  Despite him being nearly unstoppable as it is, Thanos often seeks objects of power that can move him into another level of power.  Originally he sought the Cosmic Cube but is more famous for eventually acquiring the Infinity Gems, which made him truly omnipotent.  Thanos was only defeated by Adam Warlock communicating from inside his gem and making him realize the main reason he lost in the past was a sort of mental block which prevented victory.

Thanos is probably the greatest threats in the Marvel Universe, at one point killing half of all life with his power.  But while he is a powerhouse, he is also dangerously intelligent and often uses his wits to escape death (who, ironically, he loves) on more than one occasion.  Most recently, Josh Brolin was lauded for his portrayal of Thanos in the Marvel Universe, making him much more human while still presenting us with his capability to do unthinkable acts.  Though Thanos’ evil is unparalleled, he is a charismatic character and has had his own series multiple times, including the acclaimed and out there “Thanos Wins” story, in which Thanos time travels into a future where he has “won” and is disgusted with his older self, essentially resulting in a Thanos War.  Oh, and there’s Cosmic Ghost Rider, too.

Trivia
Though creator Jim Starlin was inspired by Jack Kirby’s Fourth World comics, Thanos wasn’t originally modelled on Darkseid but the amoral but unaligned Metron.  However, fellow creator Roy Thomas told him "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2019, 01:30:02 AM »
Even though I voted for him, I never liked Thanos. He's such an arrogant prick. I love how in Hickman's Secret Wars, after all his planning, all the destruction he causes over the course of the event; when he finally confronts Doom (who is in God-mode)... he's absolutely nothing, no threat at all.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:12:14 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2019, 05:33:01 AM »

The Monarch

66 Points, 4 Lists, #1 Pak Man

Henchman 21, there's a taxi idling in the driveway awaiting his fare... slay him!

Wanted For Arching Dr. Venture (against current Guild regulations)

The Monarch is a recurring villain and one of the main cast in the TV series The Venture Bros.  The Monarch is a butterfly-themed supervillain and archenemy to Dr. Thaddeus “Rusty” Venture, a “super scientist” and former boy adventurer.  Well, Venture doesn’t think of it that way, more of an annoyance but The Monarch has dedicated his life to ruining Ventures for extremely unclear reasons.  To this end he employs an army of henchmen, a giant floating cocoon (which people question thematically, as cocoons can’t fly) and a right hand woman/girlfriend Dr. Girlfriend.  Later they marry and she becomes Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

The Monarch is a member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent, an organization designed to enforce rules for supervillains in the war between them and heroes.  He is often at odds with them as his own mistakes and personal enemies have stood in his way of his main goal: continuing to antagonize Dr. Venture and his family.  The Monarch isn’t usually particularly practical, often more focused on making his villainy as dramatic and cool as possible.  Despite this, his hatred and love of villainy seem to be quite genuine, sometimes in ways other villains aren’t.  Nonetheless, often the elaborateness of his plans stand in his way from victory.

The Monarch is a villain who just keeps getting better as the show goes on.  It isn’t just that he is a funny character, but starting with the episode “The Trial of the Monarch” near the end of season one, I realized I was very much invested in his arch as much as or even more than the “good guy” characters.  I like that for their ups and downs, he and Dr. Girlfriend/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch seem to genuinely love each other and Dr. Girlfriend, while recognizing her lover is a pretty flawed villain also has an essence and a passion that he loves.  He might be evil, but of all the characters on this list, he might be the one I really want to get a happy ending by the series end (if that ever happens.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tz4PdpfI7zY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tz4PdpfI7zY</a>

Trivia
The Monarch's New Jersey home is modeled after the Krueger Mansion in Newark, NJ.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »
The Monarch is awesome! Both in his elaborate plans, and when sometimes he resorts to childishness like kicking Venture in the balls and shitting in his pool.
"Deploy the acid magnet!"

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
 That really surprises me. After infinity war and endgame Thanos Is only number seven?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »

Dr. Clayton Forrester

69 Points, 5 Lists, #4 Linszoid

Your movie for today's experiment makes even me sick—and I liked Morgan Stewart's Coming Home.

Wanted For “Manos” The Hands of Fate, Monster A-Go-Go and Mitchell

Dr. Clayton Forrester is an evil mad scientist in Mystery Science Theater 3000 seasons 0-7.  An employee of Gizmonics Institute, Dr. Forrester went into hiding with Dr. Erhardt to pursue their dream: of ruling the world by with a movie so bad it would drive people insane.  To this end he shot a janitor/amateur inventor into space and made him watch the world’s worst movies weekly with his little robot friends.  Eventually Dr. Erhardt disappeared and was replaced with a former’s Arby’s employee named Frank, who became his assistant/doormat for years.  Eventually, Frank moved onto the afterlife and Dr. Forrester’s overbearing mother Pearl moved in.  Soon after, Forrester ended the experiment, only to encounter the worst movie ever that made him reborn (a la 2001: A Space Odyssey) and raised by his awful mother again in an attempt to do it right this time.  But seeing as she smothered him with a pillow, it didn’t seem to work out.

Dr. Forrester is a classic mad scientist with wild hair and a bright green lab coat.  He lives/hides in Gizmonics Institutes sub-sub-sub basement Deep 13, though it doesn’t seem that anyone is actually trying to find him (and seeing that they get a number of visitors, it doesn’t seem to be a good hiding place).  Forrester prides himself on his evil but apart from constantly abusing/murdering Frank, he tends to be ineffectual all around.  Despite the abuse he hurls on Frank, he usually treats him as a friend, in a twisted sort of way, and is sad when he eventually ascends to second banana heaven.

Like many of the mads, Dr. Forrester is pretty pathetic despite his evil and Trace Beaulieu brings in a lot to make him enjoyable to watch.  Granted, the character is often quite malleable depending on what comic voice is needed in the situation but it does round him a bit more to see him palling around with Frank as often as he is hurting him.  Trace is also the mad who has had the longest tenure on the show, so it is a testament to him that he managed to keep the character enjoyable throughout and seeming to fit with some of the tonal changes from season to season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3PODneWdJx8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3PODneWdJx8</a>

Trivia
Dr. Forrester’s name is taken from the lead character in the 1953 adaptation of War of the Worlds.