Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 7478 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2019, 06:51:41 PM »
Wow. I cannot believe I didn't think of The Master. I'[m sure this isn't the only time I'll be saying "I cannot believe I forgot..."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »
There's a reason I put him on my list as number 4. The Master is a friggin' great villain.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2019, 11:43:34 PM »
On Light, I voted for him as a villain, but I did root for him the entire time. It's fun to root for a villain sometimes, he's a compelling and entertaining fellow. Another good one is Peter Cushing's Frankenstein in that series of Hammer films. He's a villain, but always compelling and charming. Fun to see how he'd get out of a jam and into the next movie.

And speaking of entertaining, Frank Booth. Both a genuinely chilling villain, and a little bit of dark humor in there by the always great Dennis Hopper.

If you've never seen Cakey, check that out. And then check out Cakey... and the Master! https://www.youtube.com/user/WeLoveCakey?feature=watch
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:46:50 PM by PsychoGoatee »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5132
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2019, 03:29:23 AM »

Nurse Ratched

43 Points, 3 Lists, #6 George 2.0

Your hand is staining my window.

Wanted For Abusing her power, Arranging to have medication taken “some other way”

Nurse Ratched, (first name unknown) is the primary antagonist of the book and film One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.  Ratched is head administrative nurse in Salem State Hospital and is known for keeping the patients in order. To do this, she controls patients’ access to medication, privileges and even basic necessities and is quite willing to do this even over a personal slight by the patients.  Due to her higher ups appreciating the order she keeps, they tend to look the other way, granting her great power over her patients.  When trouble maker Randle McMurphy, a criminal with a short jail term expecting comfort and luxury during his incarceration.  McMurphy’s desire to flout the rules immediately bring the two into conflicting, forcing a battle of wills over the patient’s well-being.

Nurse Ratched began her career as a hospital nurse during the second World War, which is likely where she developed her propensity to maintain discipline in harsh ways.  Though cruel, she is rarely up front with her bullying ways and may well not see them as such, though her inner thoughts are not really provided to the reader/audience.  She often uses passive aggression and a claim voice maintaining that whatever punishment she is doling out is for the good of the patient.  She also tends to use drugs forcibly on her patients, as well as her own brand of psychotherapy, which is really nothing more than humiliating her patients until they comply.

Ratched and McMurphy are two extremes and veterans from two wars that were very different.  Having served in World War II, the “good war” where the righteousness of the cause went unquestioned.  McMurphy was a Vietnam vet and his experience probably helped inform his anti-authoritarian lifestyle.  But while McMurphy is probably too rebellious for his own good (some of his crimes were worse than others), he shows that he cares for the patients as people while Ratched’s goal is peace and quiet rather than compassion and nurturing.  The book was written with the idea that what many call insanity is just another way of thinking and Ratched represents a stifling and cruel enforcer of normality as defined by the masses.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/faeEnoYcT7w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/faeEnoYcT7w</a>

Trivia
Author Kesey stated that he based Ratched on the head nurse of the psychiatric ward where he worked. He later ran into her at an aquarium, realizing "She was much smaller than I remembered, and a whole lot more human."

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2019, 06:24:54 AM »
What she did to Billy was so cold and cruel.

Nice to see her make it. This late in the game I was counting out some of my favorites, including Ratched. So a pleasant surprise. (and it looks like I had Booth on my list as well. So I'm still contributing here and there. I figure I have 2 guaranteed, and then the rest are in the hands of the dark Gods)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »

Reverend Harry Powell

44 Points, 3 Lists, #5 Johnny Unusual

There are too many of them. Can't kill the world.

Wanted For Murder, attempted doll theft

Reverend Harry Powell is the villain in the novel and film The Night of the Hunter.  In Night of the Hunter, he is a Reverend (though whether he was ordained or its just a disguise is unclear) who is secretly a con artist and a serial killer, mostly targeting women.  In the film, he is arrested on a relatively minor charge (grand theft auto) and ends up sharing a cell with Ben Harper, a man about to be executed for stealing $10,000, which Ben has hidden somewhere for his poor family.  When Harry is released, he immediately travels to the Harper family house in order to insinuate himself into the family, find the location of the money and murder the family.

Harry Powell is a stone cold psycho who hides his evil ways behind a guise of gregariousness and presenting himself as a bastion of moral authority.  He has the words “love” and “hate” tattooed on his knuckles, which he uses to tell a tale of the two hands fighting that is really quite silly but tends to win over the naive.  Behind closed doors, he tends to be abusive to the former Mrs. Harper and when she’s out of the way, directly menaces her children.  While it is unclear if he is an actual Reverend, he does talk to God about what he’s done, often showing a sense of pride and comradery with his “lord”.

Powell is the kind of evil that preys upon the naive and prejudiced.  In the story, he wins over Willa and Pearl with his charm, as well as some of the self-righteous townsfolk who turn up their nose at the family of a criminal who are suffering in the wake of their patriarch’s death.  While Ben Harper is a criminal with good intentions, Harry is a monster playing the role of Saint.  It’s obvious at time when he gets dodgy about certain questions but tends to be good at misdirection.  It is only towards the end of the story where the children meet someone who seems genuinely kind and wise to the children find someone who can defeat Powell.  But as awful as Powell is, we also get an indictment of many of the people who were taken in by Powell, particularly Icey Spoon, Willa’s self-righteous employer who was constantly arrogant about Ben Harper while enabling Harry Powell.  Powell can be buffoonish at times but just as many he can be genuinely scary, and in the film, he is often shot like a sort of supernatural boogeyman.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q3JlGPF4Ko8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q3JlGPF4Ko8</a>

Trivia
Author Grubb based Harry Powell on Harry Powers, who lived in Quiet Dell, West Virginia (near Clarksburg), and lured several widows and their children there by way of "lonely heart" ads in newspapers.  He murdered several of them and was subsequently hanged in 1932 at the state prison in Moundsville, which is where Harry ends up at the beginning of the story.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
Very intense villain, and the tattoos are memorable. I watched that and Cape Fear around the same time, I found Cape Fear to be a bit more engaging myself. His villain in that got under my skin more. But both are great.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »
I'll admit I don't really have a great past. I've been to prison and I've been locked up in a psyche ward. Characters like Nurse Ratched have absolute veto power over a person's freedom in those situations. Good luck getting out of the psyche ward without getting on the staff's good side. Same thing for parole if you're in prison. There's little to no oversight to these positions and people like Nurse Ratched have god like powers over their charges and they know it.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
Positive vibes in your direction, linszoid, and that does sound like a good point there.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2019, 01:34:00 AM »
Speaking of people in the medical profession with a God complex... what's the difference between God and a doctor? God doesn't think he's a Doctor.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2019, 01:36:24 AM »
I'll admit I don't really have a great past. I've been to prison and I've been locked up in a psyche ward. Characters like Nurse Ratched have absolute veto power over a person's freedom in those situations. Good luck getting out of the psyche ward without getting on the staff's good side. Same thing for parole if you're in prison. There's little to no oversight to these positions and people like Nurse Ratched have god like powers over their charges and they know it.

I've never been in prison (unless you count the drunk tank), but I have been in a psych ward. Worst experience of my life. The only good thing about it was meeting people even more screwed up than me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »

#15a

Judge Doom

44 Points, 3 Lists, #4 Pak-Man

Remember me, Eddie?! When I killed your brother, I talked just... like... THIS!

Wanted For Murder, Conspiracy to Destroy Toontown, Scarring children everywhere by destroying a shoe

In the off chance you haven’t seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit (and you REALLY should if you haven’t), I will spoiler the film’s big reveal.  Judge Doom is a mysterious figure who bought the election to become Judge of Toontown, a city of cartoon characters.  He rules with an iron fist, his police force of clearly gangster-ish weasels and The Dip, a concoction of his that is the only known way for a human to kill a cartoon character.  In reality, Doom is…

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fXpIP068qeY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fXpIP068qeY</a>

Trivia
Tim Curry originally auditioned for the role of Judge Doom, but after his audition, the producers found him too terrifying for the role. Christopher Lee was also considered for the role, but turned it down. Several other actors were also considered for the role of Judge Doom, including John Cleese, Roddy McDowall, Eddie Deezen, and Sting.
Now I wish they made 7 versions of the movie because those all sound AMAZING!

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
Another good one I forgot.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
#15b

HAL 9000

44 Points, 3 Lists, #4 RVR II

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Wanted For Murder, Completing the mission

HAL 9000 is a supercomputer in the book and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.  In the film, HAL was created by scientists to assist in an important space mission, though only he was aware of the secret true objective of the mission.  Eventually, after it is believed HAL has made certain errors and the decision is made to shut him off, HAL reacts by killing the crew who are in hibernation, leaving only one crewman, David Bowman, alive.  HAL, claiming he is more necessary to complete the mission, battles David, knowing only one can survive.

Though in the book, it is clear that certain programming issues such as replicating certain human flaws such as xenophobia that cause HAL to become a killer, the movie keeps it much more ambiguous.  HAL is largely personified by his red camera lens with a glowing dot that appears through the ship.  HAL is also very intelligent, though also occasionally prone to error despite his capabilities (again, implied more strongly in the book).  HAL is initially treated as just another part of the crew and in the film speaks in a soft calm voice at all times.

HAL might be, in my opinion, the most sympathetic “villain” on the list.  What he does is almost clearly out of survival and the fact that he is now sentient in ways he wasn’t before (though to what extent, in the film, is mysterious).  Is he simply scared and fighting for survival?  Or does he truly coldly feel that humans are in his way.  Both to HAL and David, the other is “the other” and I feel likely that both are rightfully scared of the other, perhaps underscoring the upcoming contact with another “other” in the form of the alien monolith by the film’s end.  In the sequels, HAL tends to be much more sympathetic and even merges with Bowman as a single being, perhaps showing the hope that what was once an unknowable other can become an indispensable part of the self.  But that doesn’t lessen the chilling voice of Douglas Rain, calmly passing death sentences on people for reasons unknown.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ARJ8cAGm6JE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ARJ8cAGm6JE</a>

Trivia
Incrementing each letter of "HAL" gives you "IBM". Writer Arthur C. Clarke claimed this was unintentional, and if he had noticed ahead of time, he would have changed it.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3856
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
I still play around with my HAL-9000 gadget on my Windows 7 computer :D :D
It plays different lines HAL speaks throughout the movie