login

Author Topic: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge  (Read 7504 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap #117: Top 50 Villains 2: Freddy's Revenge
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »

Lex Luthor

26 Points, 2 Lists, #9 Stethacantus

You profess a love for humanity, but that's an emotion you cannot possibly know, because those same abilities make it impossible for you to know it's opposite, it's something that today has its grip on every heart of Metropolis, fear.

Wanted For Trying to kill Superman, take over the world and steal 40 cakes.  And that’s terrible.

Lex Luthor is a supervillain in DC Comics and is Superman’s greatest enemy.  In the early issues, Luthor was a criminal mastermind and mad scientist who had a tight grip on his followers and fantastic science weapons and tools.  By the Silver Age, Luthor was constantly harassing Superman with his plans.  Around this time, his backstory was retconned where he was Superman’s childhood friend who began as Superboy’s biggest fan and ally until he went bald.  Wait, THAT was his “Rosebud?”  Anyway, the character changed in the 1980s into becoming a powerful multinationalist criminal businessman, constantly using his resources to amass power and attempting to defeat Superman.

Lex Luthor has been a mad scientist, a crime boss, a “legitimate” business man and even a superhero for a time.  He is often shown as having a deep ire towards Superman, though different writers have different takes on where this comes from.  Sometimes it is jealousy, sometimes mistrust over a God on Earth, sometime because he is one of the few challenges he cannot overcome, sometimes simply because he is in his way.  Though his origin changes from time to time, he is always a master strategist who uses his mind to try to outthink Superman.  He is also shown as being incredibly egotistical, believing only in his own power and seeing most people as pawns to be used.  His ego can sometimes be a disadvantage, such as when a group of hired scientists revealed that Clark Kent was Superman… only for Luthor to dismiss it, unable to believe someone as powerful and Godlike as Superman would lower himself to live among regular folks.

Superman has no shortage of villains but Luthor is a fantastic opposite number for him.  While Superman is humble with his power, Luthor uses his own power to walk all over other humans, thinking nothing of ruining lives for his own advantage.  Seeing himself as the smartest guy in any room, he finds ways to present genuine threats to the world’s most powerful man and unlike Superman is unfettered by conventional morality and compassion.  Luthor’s view on humanity is cynical, a truly perfect for for the man who truly loves and believes in people.

Luthor has had many great actors over the years but while Gene Hackman’s take is a delight, I also want to point out Clancy Brown was fantastic in the role.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v8v20959XZU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v8v20959XZU</a>

Trivia
Luthor’s famous bald look was an accident.  Luthor was drawn bald in the comic strip due to confusion between him and Superman’s other big foe at the time The Ultra-Humanite, who was an elderly bald scientist.  And what does the Ultra-Humanite look like now?

Comics are weird.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
That's it for this week.  More on Monday!

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 03:04:35 AM »
Some cool villains! Sephiroth has some of the finest music, thanks to Nobuo. I think in Advent Children he was an especially cool villain as well. Plus with a more metal version of his theme, doesn't hurt. Dr. Evil owns. And gotta love that DC animated stuff.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
Just between me and you I have a crush on Frau Farbissina

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »

Betelgeuse

26 Points, 2 Lists, #5 Cole Stratton

Ah, well, I attended Juilliard, I am a graduate of the Harvard Business School, I travel quite extensively, I lived through the Black Plague and I had a pretty good time during that, I've seen The Exorcist about 167 TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT! NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY! NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK?!  You think I'm qualified?

Wanted For Unauthorized bio-exorcisms, model squatting

Betelguese (commonly spelled and pronounced Beetlejuice) is the title character and main antagonist of the comedy film Beetlejuice.  In the film, Betelguese, a ghost, confronts two ineffectual ghosts, the Maitlands, trying to scare humans out of their home and offers his services as a “bio-exorcist” who professionally scares humans.  Unable to scare the humans, the Maitlands end up agreeing but soon discover that his brand of ghostly pranks are too cruel and dangerous and that Betelguese is just too wild.  However, when the humans begin to exorcise the Maitlands in a harmful way, Lydia Deetz, a young woman who befriended the Maitlands, calls on Betelguese for help.  Soon things go too far and the Maitlands are forced to stop Betelguese.

Betelguese is a ghost who has a fairly bad reputation in the afterlife for his misdeeds, which are numerous.  He’s perverted, obnoxious and amoral but despite this he has incredible skill at using his ghostly powers and scaring humans.  He’s also fairly good at getting people to do what he wants until they find out that he is more than just a useful jerk and is a real threat.  However, Betelguese can only be summoned (and unsummoned) when people say his name three times.  Throughout the movie, he is scene hanging out in the Maitland’s model of their hometown in a miniature size.

Michael Keaton’s take on Betelguese seems so different than any of his other performances.  The actor is almost always great but him getting away from comedy post-Batman makes people forget how much of a force of nature he is in the film.  Even his more recent comedic roles, while great, are relatively restrained.  He plays him as… not quite pure id, but certainly an id that only restrains itself in order to get people to do what he wants (and even then he’s bouncing off the walls).  The character later starred in his own cartoon where he is friends with Lydia.  Nice to know they got over the whole “he tried to make me his child bride” thing.  Though, I dunno, maybe she shouldn’t have.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aDm4L7gjYNs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aDm4L7gjYNs</a>

Trivia
Michael Keaton ad-libbed 90% of his lines.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:53 AM »
I have Beetlejuice pegged as more of a roguish rapscallion than an outright villain, but I'm not sure anymore how much of that was retroactively slipped into my brain by the cartoon series. If I'd only seen the movie I'd probably see him as more of a villain.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »

El Guapo

27 Points, 2 Lists, #7 Cole Stratton

I like these guys! They are funny guys! Just kill one of them.

Wanted For Raping the horses, riding off on the women and pruning the hedges of many small villages.

El Guapo is the main villain of the film ¡Three Amigos!  El Guapo is an Bandito in early 20th century Mexico, leading his gang of bandits to attack and bully small villages.  When one such village decides to look for help, a young woman sees a movie about three heroes named “the Three Amigos”, unaware that it is merely fiction.  The actors playing the Amigos accept her invitation, thinking she simply wants them to perform a cowboy dhow.  When El Guapo finds out, he kidnaps the young girl with the intention of making her his woman, forcing the heroes to infiltrate his birthday party.

El Guapo (which means “The Handsome”) is a bandit who enjoys stealing and killing and seems to love every inch of being a criminal.  That said, he does have a terrible temper when things don’t go his way and often teases his underling El Jefe, by taunting him for his ignorance of the word “plethora”.  El Guapo is extremely prideful and, if you are on his good side, is surprisingly friendly (he really appreciates getting that sweater for his birthday).

Alfonso Arau brings a fantastic energy to his performance in this film.  He keeps the villain sort of lovable throughout, despite everything he does.  Even in his dying breath, the character is a hoot and he makes him sort of love being a villain.  It also helps that despite his bullying ways, he also seems weirdly likable, which makes it understandable why he has so many men in his gang.  He’s basically as gregarious as he is villainous.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b6E682C7Jj4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b6E682C7Jj4</a>

Trivia
Alfonso Arau (El Guapo) also starred in Tres amigos (1970), which translates to Three Amigos.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
I definitely forgot about Beetlejuice.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 03:36:29 PM »

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

27 Points, 2 Lists, #6 RVR II

Honor's killed millions of people, it hasn't saved a single one.

Wanted For Weapons dealing, art dealing, allying himself with a giant meteor of evil, predicting the alt-right look.

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg is the main villain of the film “The Fifth Element” (if you don’t count the meteor of pure hate that he works for, but we’ll get to that).  Zorg is a weapons manufacturer who makes high tech weapons.  At some point he allied himself with an entity known as The Shadow, which is coming to destroy the Earth, in exchange for money.  He hires some warrior aliens known as “Manglores” in exchange for high techweapons to find 4 artifacts, ancient stones, that might be used to save the Earth.  Along the way he battles taxi driver Korben Dallas and the resurrected human/alien hybrid Leelo, who are trying to save the Earth.

Zorg is a scummy guy all around but he has the money and resources to get what he wants… even more money.  Zorg is the owner of Zorg Industries, which produces incredibly deadly weapons, including the ZF-1, which contains multiple functions including heat seeking bullets.  Zorg fully acknowledges the monstrosity of his deeds but simply doesn’t care as long as it gets him what he wants.  He believes chaos is much better for business, as it creates needs for products to reinstate order… of a sort.  He also tends to use cunning and sneaky tactics to outwit his enemies, and isn’t above killing his underlings or partners out of convenience or displeasure.

Zorg is played by Gary Oldman who knows EXACTLY what movie he’s in.  It must be weird to watch this back to back with one of his more toned down roles like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to see this film.  He’s even more over the top than in the professional, and that is hard to top.  Here he’s a cartoon character and plays both his haughtiness and the patheticness of his character to the hilt.  His southern accent is also a perfect counterpoint to his very French comic book style look.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UkFAcFtBD48" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UkFAcFtBD48</a>

Trivia
Gary Oldman played Zorg as a cross between then-Presidential candidate Ross Perot and Bugs Bunny.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 04:20:53 PM »
One of his common lines..
I.. AM.. VERY.. DISAPPOINTED!!! ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
Zorg is literally the only entertaining part of that movie, and it's very much like Michael Sheen in Twilight. He knows he's in crap and nobody is going to tell reel him in, so he's just being memorable.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 04:59:46 AM »

Keyser Söze

27 Points, 2 Lists, #3 CJones

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God...and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Söze.

Wanted For Many, many crimes, though which are real are unverified.

Keyser Söze is a supercriminal in the film The Usual Suspects. He began as a petty drug dealer in his native Turkey but grew his legend grew to mythical status when after rival gangsters hold his family hostage.  Rather than giving into them, Keyser instead proceeded to murder his own family, then the gangsters save one to spread his story.  Keyser then proceeded to murder every member of the gang, their families and even people tangentially created to them.  Since then, Keyser has been extremely reclusive, using underlings and working to hide his identity and being an unseen and unreachable master.  The only person he seems to trust is his right hand man Kobayashi.

However…
(spoilers, obviously, in case you don’t know the ending.  I mean, you probably do but just in case)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EdeCPGNRjOU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EdeCPGNRjOU</a>

Trivia
Christopher McQuarrie's inspiration for the character of Keyser Soze was a real-life murderer by the name of John List, who murdered his family and then disappeared for 17 years.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:22:27 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 05:32:58 AM »
Cool villains. Gary Oldman himself could probably be on this list, he's always a great one. Maybe he did something villainous like cut somebody in line at the coffee place.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
...yeah so far very few of these villains make me want to piss myself in fear.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:38 AM »
...yeah so far very few of these villains make me want to piss myself in fear.

Frankly, I appreciate that.